JKOwners Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Update on my issue that I had...My PCM that I had replaced at the dealership under warranty about 3-4 months ago took a :shitstorm: on me this week. exact same issue as before, checked the codes: P0300-Multiple Cylinder Misfire, and P2302-Ignition coil 1 Secondary Circuit -Insufficient Ionization. Had it towed to the dealership again (its like watching some guy walk away with your soul mate!) and they swapped the PCM again and said i'm good to go...my question is, what is causing this to happen?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Fixed?

So I got my jeep back from the dealer today. they put another new(re-manufactured) PCM in my jeep and its back to running again. I think I will try to find a good automotive electrical shop to see if they cant track down what may be causing the issue. Maybe i will swing by Motech.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
About ready to torch the jeep. Getting a flashing CEL. Happens randomly under acceleration, deceleration, and idling. It's not recording any sort of code. Getting lots of stumbling and backfiring on acceleration. I've sent data logs to ripp and haven't gotten any reply yet.

·
Registered
282 Posts
And another PCM shits the bucket! Not only that but they replaced my PCM with another remanufactured one (3rd replaced Pam) this PCM failed before even leaving the dealership. They are now looking into an actual new never used PCM. They are still claiming nothing is causing the PCM to fail. WTF!:shitstorm::suicide:

·
Registered
896 Posts
And another PCM shits the bucket! Not only that but they replaced my PCM with another remanufactured one (3rd replaced Pam) this PCM failed before even leaving the dealership. They are now looking into an actual new never used PCM. They are still claiming nothing is causing the PCM to fail. WTF!:shitstorm::suicide:
Check all grounds, especially the one to the PCM

·
Registered
282 Posts
All grounding was checked and no issues were found. I have had the jeep back from the dealership for about a week now and so far so good. I am now only waiting for it to happen again!

Is there anything other than grounding issues that could be causing this issue?

·
Registered
2012 Jeep Wrangler JKU
1 Posts
So, I know this is an older forum discussion, but my 2012 Jeep JK just lost power and died on me on top of the mountain after (gentle) trail-riding for about 45 min. When say gentle, it's well-maintained/some washboard dirt roads up a mountain side. Anyways, I digress.

The check engine light came on (which it's done a couple times before--but it always goes away). I turned the vehicle off, and it sat for about 2 hours. My daughter turned it on, said it was idling rough & she promptly turned it off. I get in the vehicle, turn it on (realize it is in fact idling a little rougher than normal), but pull out of the parking spot only to have the check engine light beep a couple times before suddenly losing all power. I turn the vehicle off, it cranks, but won't start and then gave me the lightning bolt (ETC) warning light. Get it towed down the mountain to an Auto Zone, and they run the codes to show P2308.

Bought a new coil, replaced it (mine completely exploded)... Still wouldn't start. Discovered code P0688, so I replaced the ASD fuse and BOOM! Jeep started. I was ecstatic. Drove it about .25 miles and it died again.

Got it towed home, replaced the fuse (yet again!) just to drive the jeep inside the garage and ran the codes again.

Coil 3 exploded again (so I have a new one waiting to go in). Checked the spark plugs--look good still.

Codes currently being thrown:
P0688 ASD/Main Sense Circuit
P2308 Ignition Coil 3
P0303 Cylinder Misfire
B1630 RT low beam control circuit high
U0184 Lost communication w/ radio
B162C LT low beam control circuit high

So.... before spending a shit ton of money, I'm wondering if any of you guys have had similar experiences and how you fixed it? I've heard "replace the PCM", "replace the TIPM"; you need to "replace all the spark plugs & coils since you're at 82k miles"; put in higher amp fuses; check the wiring harnesses for pinches/frays... Which, I'm doing all of that tomorrow--just hoping to gain some additional insight. The PCM actually looks pretty good--blew out the connections on that as well and also blew out the air throttle control at the advice of fellow jeep owners.

Side note: my jeep seemed to be running just fine prior to having my radio re-wired and also prior to installing new headlights--but all those wires seem fine, so I'm completely stumped.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts