Rugged Radios vs Chinese-branded Baofeng & Juentai radios on amazon.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 05-06-2018, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Rugged Radios vs Chinese-branded Baofeng & Juentai radios on amazon....

Hey gang….

A couple of my wheeling friends have been using GMRS/FRS radios on the trail for years rather than CB and more recently, I am seeing more and more Rugged Radios/UHV/VHF radios being used out on the trail in groups that I have rolled with and new groups that I am meeting for the first time.

Myself, I have just ripped out my CB unit and embraced UHV/VHF and am learning as I go here. I have had a set of Motorola MR350R GMRS/FRS radios for years and do carry them sometimes on the trail but have yet to use GMRS/FRS on the trail because most folks were still on CB (until now?). I have my GMRS license and am studying for my Ham Technician license.

I have not completely given up on CB, just removed the one mounted to the top of my windshield with a UHV/VHF 25w mobile radio. I still carry my Midland 75-822 with batteries and an SA2 24" BNC antenna on the unit itself.

Anyway, for those that don’t already know, UHV/VHF is better than CB on a number of levels but it is basically a 2m/70cm Ham radio.

In this thread, I would like to share my experience and observations on Rugged Radios’s two most popular models (the RH-5R and the RM-25R) as compared to their Chinese-branded equivalents on amazon (the Baofeng UV-5R and the Juentai JT-6188). I have had 3 of the 4 models mentioned in my hands.

The Rugged RH-5R is a rebranded Baofeng UV-5R with custom programming. Other than the labels, color and custom programming, it is not clear how they are different physically.

For the most part, the Rugged RM-25R is the same thing as the Juentai JT-6188 but I did notice a couple of minor differences. The first difference could be a deal breaker for some (in favor of Rugged). The Rugged (and NOT the Juentai) has an additional DIN cord pigtail sticking out the back of the unit. This DIN cord is what integrates with all of the Rugged headsets if you want to go that route. The other visible difference (other than the brand name on the sticker) is that the Rugged radio has an ATC fuse and in-line-fuse-holder on the back of the unit rather than a glass fuse holder like the Juentai. Interestingly both the Juentai *and* the Rugged come with spare *glass* fuses and no spare ATC fuse.

The big drawback on the current model is the lack of a keypad on the microphone. Apparently the older model (as seen in the Rugged videos) had the keypad but the newer models come to you with a plain microphone sans keypad. It is also what they now picture on their product web page. The Juentai always comes with a microphone. Rugged wants to sell you the microphone now for (cough, cough), an additional $45 plus shipping and tax if that applies.

Rugged claims that the Microphone works better sans keypad but I suspect that their profit margin is what works better. Their prices did not seem to come down as a result and even when they have a big sale (like they are having this weekend for Cinco de Mayo), the radios are still double the price of a Juentai that you can get on amazon and the amazon version comes with the keypad microphone and a programming cable too. The programming cable and software from Rugged is an extra cost item.
There are at least THREE problems that I discovered as a result of not having a keypad.

First, there is no way to directly change the frequency number by typing in the numbers. You have to turn the tuning knob which could take friggen eons to go through the channel range before getting to the desired chanel. Remember, that we are talking frequencies with three digit decimal points here.
The second issue is that you cannot use/enable the radios built in channel scan mode without the keypad. There is a button for that on the keypad but not the radio itself.

The third issue is that without the keypad, it is impossible to add a custom name to a saved channel. You can only enter in the first character and that’s it! The character is selected using the frequency tuning knob. That part is cool and works well. The problem is that you need to click an “enter” button to accept the character and move to the next character. That “enter” button only exists on the microphone keypad and NOT on the radio itself.

Regardless of which radio you get, figuring out the programming can be painful. The handheld 5w and the mobile 25w radios are programmed using different, incompatible serial<->USB cables and software. You have to use the right cable and load the correct driver for it and then use the flakey Chinese software to program it. You are also supposed to use the software that came with your specific radio because they write the “.dat” files in a specific size and format. It is definitely a kludge and there was scrotum pain and expletives in the process of getting it all to work. There is software called Chirp but I think it is only compatible with the handheld versions and not the mobile versions or vice versa and you will end up using two different apps to program the radio regardless. The app for the handheld defaults to Chinese so you have to figure out where to switch it to English using the Chinese menus (depicted in all “?????”).

Other than the pre-programmed GMRS and weather channels, the other pre-programmed channels on the Rugged seem almost completely useless to me and you do not really need Rugged to know these frequencies.

The GMRS frequencies are documented here:
FRS/GMRS combined channel chart - The RadioReference Wiki

Seven of the weather frequencies are documented here:
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Weather_Radio

The Ham radio frequencies used on the Rubicon are documented here:
Rubicon Trail Foundation

Rugged’s preprogrammed frequencies are documented here (UN: rugged PW: radios):
https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.p...age=page&id=22

This is to show your options, not to knock Rugged in any way.
Choose Rugged if you want…

-to be able to pick up a phone and get instant customer support on the whole thing (not just the radio itself – your whole install)
-do not want to mess with programming your own Chinese radio
-if you need a headset or headset integration
-if you need to equip a group or team with specific radios and custom programming with minimum hassle

Update 05-11-2018:

I am using the CHRIPP software now and it is a bit easier to use and has better editing features.

The current ZIP file (JKO_Channels.zip) has two CHIRPP *.img files inside. In addition to that, I exported the channel list to a CSV file that can be opened in MS Excel (Juentai_JT6188-Rubicon_JKO.csv).

Baofeng_UV5R-Rubicon_JKO.img
Baofeng UV5R
Baofeng F8HP
Rugged Radios RH5R

Juentai_JT6188-Rubicon_JKO.img
Juentai JT-6188
Rugged Radios RM-25R
Talkcoop KT-8900 (untested)
QYT KT-8900 (untested)

The channel lineup is the same on both and is as follows:

Power on message for both the 5w handheld and the 25w mobile is as follows:
JK
Owners

Channel locations 0 through 10 have been left blank.

Channel locations 11 through 20 are the Rubicon and Niagra Rim channels as documented here:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/usa-ca...ml#post1035522

There was one simplex channel not included in the above link bit it is listed on Rubicon.org so I added that one too.
http://www.rubicontrail.org/rtf-hamradios.htm

Channel locations 21 through 23 are the three closest ham repeaters to Bear Valley.

Channel locations 24 through 29 are a subset of the El Dorado County Sherriff channels.

Channel locations 30 through 34 are for Placer County Sherriff and the Placerville PD.

Channel locations 35 through 39 are a subset of the Cal Fire frequencies, including El Dorado, Placer, Alpine and Calaveras counties

Channel locations 40 through 43 are for the Alpine County Volunteer Fire Departnemt and the Search and Rescue channels.

Channel locations 44 through 46 are the Grass Valley Emergency Command Center

Channel location 47 through 52 are for Calaveras County Sherriff, Fire and EMS.

Channel locations 53 through 67 are for Placer County Fire Department.

Channel locations 68 through 72 are Placer County Search and Rescue

Channel locations 73 through 100 are the US Forest Service.

Channel locations 101 through 107 are GMRS/FMRS channels 1 through 7. On the 5w handheld, these are programmed in at HIGH power. On the 25w mobile Juentai, they are programmed in as LOW power.

**FMRS Channels 8 through 14 are NOT included. These are very low power channels.**

Channel locations 108 through 115 are GMRS channels 15 through 22. These are the high powered GMRS channels.

Channel locations 116 through 122 are the seven NOAA weather channels. These are the only channels in the configuration file that are set NOT to be scanned when you scan channels. I figure that if you want to listen to the weather that you can just tune into one of the seven channels manually. That’s what I do.
Attached Files
File Type: zip JKO_Channels.zip (4.5 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by White13JKUR; 05-11-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 05-06-2018, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

this is excellent , man.
The group myself and a few other guys on here ride with have just added GMRS handsets and radios to our main group this season . The clarity and distance really is pretty significant.
I just have a little 5H-R5 but after the season may move up to the mountable , greater range model. This is incredibly useful thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 41 Old 05-06-2018, 02:56 PM
Granite Guru

Thank you for the comparison. I bought Rugged Raido because of their support, and support of the off road community.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 05-06-2018, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Corners View Post
Thank you for the comparison. I bought Rugged Raido because of their support, and support of the off road community.
Yup. The owner has a JKU (JKUR?).

You definitely get something for the price premium.

The DIY path is not for everyone.
post #5 of 41 Old 05-06-2018, 08:45 PM
JKO Addict!

I have a baofung, yeah it works but it's really just a decent backup... Screw all them things and get real radios. Kenwood, Icom, yaesu. Yes they cost 3x+ but ya gets what ya pays for

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 41 Old 05-06-2018, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Yeah, I do hope to graduate to a Japanese Yaeseu 80w. Maybe a handheld too.

Still, the Chinese radios are a good choice if you are an idiot like me and run the risk of dropping it on granite, spilling a full beer onto it or just running over it with a deflated 37. You could do all three things just for fun with the Baofengs and still have beer money left over.
post #7 of 41 Old 05-07-2018, 10:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Many of my club member have gone the GMRS route as well.

I pulled my CB out two weeks ago and installed the BTECH MINI UV-25X2 25. I really like it a lot. I won't go back to CB's for communication.

I didn't see the value in buying the Rugged Radio 25w unit, the cost savings was worth it to me on going with the Btech

I do have a Rugged Radio RH-5R hand held as well to lend out on the trail, or use in the Tow Pig.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #8 of 41 Old 05-07-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
Many of my club member have gone the GMRS route as well.

I pulled my CB out two weeks ago and installed the BTECH MINI UV-25X2 25. I really like it a lot. I won't go back to CB's for communication.

I didn't see the value in buying the Rugged Radio 25w unit, the cost savings was worth it to me on going with the Btech

I do have a Rugged Radio RH-5R hand held as well to lend out on the trail, or use in the Tow Pig.
The Btech looks cool. Probably the same or similar guts as the Rugged or Juentai.

BTW, Juentai is just one of several names that this particular radio can be purchased under. The TalkCoop KT-8900 seems to be the same thing as the Rugged RM25R and the Juentai JT-3188.

I have two spare Baofeng UV-5Rs to use on the trail and a pair of the Motorola GMRS radios that I can give to the kids.

The nice thing about the baofeng is that it came with TWO batteries, the programming cable and an extended antenna for better range. It is a good package deal.

Here's a link for extended batteries for the baofeng/Rugged handheld. Available in different colors:

https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-3800m.../dp/B06ZZJND88
post #9 of 41 Old 05-08-2018, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

bump....

I updated the first post with an attachment that has the channels preprogrammed and a description of the channels.
post #10 of 41 Old 05-11-2018, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Bump again....

See original post. I made new img files using CHIRPP software.

Please take a look at my description in the post or at the img files or at the csv file and provide your feedback on the channel lineup. It is probably most useful to folks who wheel in Northern California.
post #11 of 41 Old 05-11-2018, 10:03 PM
Granite Guru

Thanks again for your work.
post #12 of 41 Old 05-15-2018, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Hey folks...

If anyone is thinking to do any sort of car integration with the 5w Baofeng/Rugged Handhelds, these items should be helpful.

Use this adapter to connect the handheld radio to an external antenna for better reception:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M5YN57O

This is the batter eliminator:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DGW6ODG

A lot of the ham radio guys seem to be using and recommending this extended range antenna for the handhelds. They are handmade by a group of hams in Utah:
https://signalstuff.com/antennas/

The Nagoya NA-771 is supposed to be a good extended range antenna as well. There are Chinese copies of it at half the price that should work about as well.
j3ff3ry_j33p and Eugene13 like this.
post #13 of 41 Old 05-15-2018, 12:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

To use these radios, don’t you need a HAM radio license?

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #14 of 41 Old 05-15-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndtguy View Post
To use these radios, don’t you need a HAM radio license?
Only if you transmit. I'm studying for my own now and am scheduled for the test later this week.

I think you can use the GMRS channels if you have a GMRS license and the radio is setup for the correct max wattages on the various GMRS channels. I think even the handheld units on low might not transmit at a low enough power for the FRS channels. The letter of the law might restrict you to an actual GMRS/FRS radio from Walmart or something, though.

I also think that you can do VHF on the MURS channels without a license.
post #15 of 41 Old 05-18-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Couple of things…

First of all, there are a couple of “Baofeng” entities. There is the company in China that makes all this stuff and then the US based company that distributes them under the Baofeng brand. The US company Is called Baofeng Tech or “BTech.” The Chinese manufacture has changed their company name to Pofung (sounds too much like pooh flung, if you ask me). I am not sure who supplies Rugged but it could be the Chinese manufacturer directly.

The other bit is that I picked up the latest model, the BF-F8HP. This is basically the same as the 5w models with some firmware improvements, 8w of output and a better (“high gain”) antenna plus some astethic differences. Probably the extra wattage won’t mean much on the trail unless you are transmitting from a fringe area. You may come across a little more clearly. The F8HP also has a higher capacity, thicker battery. Edit: The other major improvement in the F8HP and some of the other newer models is that they now come with much improved English user manuals. This is probably the biggest upgrade over the older models.

I also picked up the cool hand made antenna from Signal Stuff. I think it is made out of stainless piano wire or something. It’s durable, can be twisted around and I expect it to perform a little better than the included high gain. It would be an improvement for sure to the 5w models from baofeng or Rugged. Whether you get this one or the Nagoya NG-771 or one of the cheap Chinese copies, make sure to get a “femal SMA connector” on the antenna for these radios.

https://signalstuff.com/antennas/

A couple of things to consider on the use of this radio…

If you don’t want a ham license, you could always just pay get your GMRS license so you can legally go on a specific range in the UHF band. I would skip the FMRS channels (8 through 14) since they are only ½ watt channels. GMRS/FRS 1 through 8 are 5 watt and GMRS channels 15 through 22 are 50w max.

https://www.fcc.gov/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

https://wiki.radioreference.com/inde..._channel_chart

And then with MURS (unlicensed VHF), you can do VHF @2watts.

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...o-service-murs

https://wiki.radioreference.com/inde..._Radio_Service

With CB, I usually used channels 4 and or 16 on the trail like everyone else. I am going to be trying out MURS4 (Blue Dot) and GMRS16 this season on the trail.

MURS4 (Blue Dot) frequency: 154.57000 mHz (VHF)

GMRS16 Frequency: 462.5750 mHz (UHF)

Channel mode:

VFO mode:

The high capacity battery is thicker. There is an even larger battery which has not arrived yet. More pics later.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 05-18-2018 at 03:20 PM.
post #16 of 41 Old 05-20-2018, 11:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
I also think that you can do VHF on the MURS channels without a license.

That sounds about right. My buddy who's part of the Raptor community was telling me the group he wheels with primarily use VHF radios like the Baofeng using the MURS channels for the reason of not needing a license, though I "think" that only applies when you're using a radio that is operating within the approved parameters. Like anything though, it's only illegal if you get caught.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #17 of 41 Old 05-20-2018, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
That sounds about right. My buddy who's part of the Raptor community was telling me the group he wheels with primarily use VHF radios like the Baofeng using the MURS channels for the reason of not needing a license, though I "think" that only applies when you're using a radio that is operating within the approved parameters. Like anything though, it's only illegal if you get caught.
MURS is limited to 2 watts. The Chinese "5w" radios are doing 4w on high and 1w on low. The 8 watt model that I just picked up has high, medium and low power settings. And that one is doing 8w, 5w and 1w on H, M and L respectively.

The GMRS/FRS channels 1 through 7 show a limit of 2w for FRS and 5w on GMRS. The frequencies are the same so I suppose that it has to do with your radio. You can be unlicensed and for FMRS @2w, I think. Seems like you need a GMRS license to go 5w on GMRS channels 1-7. Channels 8-14 are only 1/2w so forget about those. GMRS channels 15-22 can go to 50w on a GMRS license but still limited to 2w with no license.

I think folks can fly under the radar doing FRS channels (1-7 & 14-22) @2w and MURS 1-5 at 2w.
post #18 of 41 Old 05-21-2018, 12:53 PM
Rock God

Paul,

thanks for all the work putting this together! This is definitely helpful. I have been lagging on getting my HAM license, and will eventually get it. The handheld radios are very simple and this definitely helps anyone looking into clean communication with a group.

Thanks!

post #19 of 41 Old 05-21-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
Paul,

thanks for all the work putting this together! This is definitely helpful. I have been lagging on getting my HAM license, and will eventually get it. The handheld radios are very simple and this definitely helps anyone looking into clean communication with a group.

Thanks!
Cool man.

Anyway, I got Chirp and the serial drivers running on my old Windoze tablet. If I remember to bring it, I can program radios trailside. Works like a charm!

The handhelds take about 30 seconds to program and the 25w mobile is taking on the order of 3-1/2 minutes.

post #20 of 41 Old 05-21-2018, 02:59 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

This is awesome.
What's the CB CH. 19 equivalent where I can talk to truck stop hunnies and find a meth dealer?
post #21 of 41 Old 05-21-2018, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
This is awesome.
What's the CB CH. 19 equivalent where I can talk to truck stop hunnies and find a meth dealer?
Dunno. But I need to go downstairs and yank a radio out of my jeep now. Hope you understand.

p.s. that cable on the left is now yours.
post #22 of 41 Old 05-21-2018, 03:42 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
Dunno. But I need to go downstairs and yank a radio out of my jeep now. Hope you understand.

p.s. that cable on the left is now yours.
I'm excited! I think about all the people within a 5 mile radius of me that will not be able to escape my euphonious song and prose.
Got it everything up and running on OSX. Let me know how much I owe you for the cable!

Last edited by snout; 05-21-2018 at 04:12 PM.
post #23 of 41 Old 05-21-2018, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
I'm excited! I think about all the people within a 5 mile radius of me that will not be able to escape my euphonious song and prose.
Got it everything up and running on OSX. Let me know how much I owe you for the cable!
You've got PM and a txt.

Anyway, here is what a 4 watt "HF" handheld CB with 24" SA2 antenna looks like next to an 8 watt "VHF/UHF" Baofeng BF-F8HP with extended battery and handmade antenna from signalstuff.com

post #24 of 41 Old 05-22-2018, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Improving reception

On the handhelds, reception can be improved by doing a couple of things. First thing to do is to replace the included rubber duckey antenna with something better like the Nagoya 771 or a Chinese copy of that one or possibly one of the piano chord antennas like I picked up from SignalStuff.com

To improve reception even more while you are holding the radio in your hand (read: no ground plane), you could make up a short piece of wire to connect to the radio called a "tiger tail," "rat tail" or a "counter poise." Make it the same length as the antenna. In my case, both the antenna and the tail I made are about 19 inches.

Doing this essentially changes your upgraded antenna from a 1/4 wave to a 1/2 wave dipole.

What makes this particularly easy on the Baofengs and Rugged Radios is that the screws that hold the belt clip on screw into metal. The metal has a common ground with the antenna base. I tested for continuity to confirm this.

Doing this little hack will help improve reception if you are out hiking around on the granite after a day of wheeling.

The antenna and tail coil up pretty nicely.

On the receiver side, the 5w and 8w models should perform about the same. It's on transmit that the 8w might make a minor improvement to the person on the other end. Jumping from 5w to 8w is not a huge jump but will probably make a slight difference in a "fringe" area.

post #25 of 41 Old 05-22-2018, 10:40 AM
Minstrel Gigolo

For what its worth, I submitted my request for a ZA - GMRS license + the $70 fee (ouch) and had a callsign within 48 hrs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode