JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a recent wheeling trip, I realized that my passenger front seatbelt was locked. despite my best efforts in clubbing it with a rubber mallet to get it loosened up, it eventually locked for good. Thought i had it fixed, but the tensioner gave up.

SO, hop onto moparpartsamerica.com to order a new one. Pay for 2nd day air. a week goes by, nothing. check the tracking, it is still in the fedex facility in lake oswego due to "unacceptable packaging or incomplete paperwork". i hop on the horn with moparparts, and was told something that i almost didn't believe. it was one of those "you can't make this chit up" moments.

the guy explained to me that the tensioning mechanism in the assembly is considered by Fedex to be an EXPLOSIVE. yes, that's right, we are all sitting next to fawking explosives and relying on them to save our ass in an accident. he said he will need to issue me a full refund as FedEx will not allow them to ship it. WTF? you guys be safe out there... they may have hair triggers... :hide:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have been dumbfounded by this for half of the day now. i still can't wrap my head around that... :shaking:

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
That is definately one for the "dept of dumbass dept".:shaking:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
It is true.
Dealers get them from alternative shipping and UPS Ground Hazardous Cargo.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
It is true.
Dealers get them from alternative shipping and UPS Ground Hazardous Cargo.
thats great then they SHOULD know how to ship them out :shaking:

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Maybe they are ORM-D? Just about anything that is pressurized is ORM-D and are usually only shipped ground. They can be shipped by air, but require hazardous shipping papers. Shock absorbers, ammo, lighters, aerosol cans, etc, are ORM-D.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I feel for you Mr. T, little different situation, but I know I'm not alone from 2 yrs of research, the pass side seatbelt has never worked right on mine, 3 times to the dealer, 3 new pass side belts and when it still locks you in place (no movement forward) on the smoothest of roads, I gave up.:smokin:

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Bodyguy, my question is, why do you have that easily accessible in your house? :laughing:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I run into this alot in my biz. Seat belt tensioners and airbags get shipped by ground.
So, don't you think they could have just said, "ok, we will have to just ship it via Standard UPS Ground, due to the issues shipping 2nd Day Air, here are the reasons why"? instead, i am now getting a full refund and have to find one locally... doesn't make sense to me.

if they run into it as frequently, i would think that they would know how to handle the situation and get it from point A to point B. i'm just irritated. costs almost an extra 30 bucks to get it from the dealer. that 30 bucks could've gone into my "new front driveshaft" fund.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Whoever ships them must be hazardous shipping trained and authorized.
99.9% of dealers are not.
Only big companies/corporations are.
This pertains to all types of shipping. (ground, air, etc)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whoever ships them must be hazardous shipping trained and authorized.
99.9% of dealers are not.
Only big companies/corporations are.
This pertains to all types of shipping. (ground, air, etc)
hmmm. not sure how big they really are, but, moparpartsamerica.com has seatbelts available for all mopar vehicles... i would have hoped they may be qualified to know how to ship one of them... :shaking:

·
Registered
207 Posts
good thing i have my ar-15 with me, i will get retaliation if mine decides to blow!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts