JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody running a higher octane tune while still using 87 fuel? If so what are the results?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I tried the 93 and the 91 tune on 87 and was not impressed with the results, dropped the tune down to 87 and was surprised at the diffference, works better all around.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
Is anybody running a higher octane tune while still using 87 fuel? If so what are the results?
why would you think that would be a good idea?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not thinking it would be a good idea, just curious how bad of an idea it would be. I try to learn from other peoples mistakes more so than my own.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
not thinking it would be a good idea, just curious how bad of an idea it would be. I try to learn from other peoples mistakes more so than my own.
I would not recommend this at all. The higher tune loaded into the vehicle associated with better gas needs the higher octane to prevent detonation. You know what detonation is right? It can and wil destroy your engine very easily. What you are asking is on par with polling a crowd of skydivers if they would survive a free fall if deploying their chute within only 200 feet from the ground. Yeah a few might be alive to respond but I wouldn't stake my life on following in their footsteps. If you are going to run the HP tune run the good gas. Otherwise get ready for a fresh engine.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Thats a bad idea. Preignition/detonation is what will happen. Google that and lemme know what you think :grinpimp:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was running 87Tune on 87, and now I am running 91Tune on 91. There might be a difference, but I just be making that up. I'll try switching back to 87Tube with 87 next gas tank. But, either way, both tunes are MUCH better than stock. The biggest improvement is the throttle response.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts