JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20171119_173236.jpg
So I installed a roof rack, then had an idea and mounted my jerry can. It functional and solid, but a few of my jeeping buds tell me sucks and looks bad. I am more into functional, and never really cared much what people think, but I guess I do care a little after all! So I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don't really care for it. Most of my concerns are that if it gets even scraped by a tree it's going to cause body damage.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
...sucks and looks bad.

·
Super Moderator
6,181 Posts

I’d tear that off within 15-30 min of a trail with it . Some rock ledge or cedar tree would rip or crush it out or inward.
Then , fuel would gush somewhere , possibly all over the engine or cats or who knows and the potential to be remembered as ,” Fireball Jeffery” or “ Gascan Van” would be then possible . I don’t want to be remembered like that.

It would seem you cou,d only open door about 1/3 of the way unless you fold the side mirror in, but maybe I’m wrong.

By proxy, it serves as cowl

armor but that’s the only redeeming aspect of running that storage there so, I vote ,” No”.

:jeep2:

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
I’d tear that off within 15-30 min of a trail with it . Some rock ledge or cedar tree would rip or crush it out or inward.
Then , fuel would gush somewhere , possibly all over the engine or cats or who knows and the potential to be remembered as ,” Fireball Jeffery” or “ Gascan Van” would be then possible . I don’t want to be remembered like that.

It would seem you cou,d only open door about 1/3 of the way unless you fold the side mirror in, but maybe I’m wrong.

By proxy, it serves as cowl

armor but that’s the only redeeming aspect of running that storage there so, I vote ,” No”.

:jeep2:
I thought you weren't gonna go into long winded replies for people with only 1 post?:wink2:

·
Registered
94 Posts
No No No!

PS - No!

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
No, nope, neaux. I did that to my old CJ 5 back when that was the thing to do. The bracket that I used was similar to yours. The accumulation of dirt and mud in between the bracket and body led to corrosion which led to an expensive repair. Mine was on the drivers side. Yeah it looks cool but that’s about it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts