JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site, New to the Jeep Rubicon,

OK...I already get that some folks think you have to "put on robes" and enter 2 weeks of purfication rights to "read the book"...in this case the offical Jeep manuals and publications.

I'm not in that camp...so please no "...but thou book sayeth to thee..."

I actually submit my used oil for testing to Blackstone or other labs and choose oils & oil weights by lowered wear indicators. I am checking their posted results for the Jeep 3.8 engine...but I also want to hear about real 4x4 users experiences from this site.

What I'm looking for is just straight forward personnal experiences with what oil weights work best for you in warmer, SOCAL desert situations with the 3.8 V6. What keeps the valve clatter away? And what oils don't come out looking like "black water" or completely sheared to death by 2000 miles.

Thanks again for your first hand experiences....

Dan

·
Registered
169 Posts
I run mobil 1 full synthetic with lucas full syn oil stabilizer. Runs like the day it came off the showroom floor and oil doesn't look too bad at oil change time either. I change mine religiously at 3k. Now I have a manual and im still running mopar tranny fluid cus the slimy bastards wont tell me the weight and every time I ask they say read the book its in there... well the diff fluid weight is but not manual tranny so if you could help with the tranny weight I would be much grateful.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Where I live, its 100+ in the summer and freezing in the winter.

I run 10W30 in the summer months and the recommended 5W20 at other times. I always use synthetic.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I have free oil changes for the next 3 years now, and I always take out 1 qrt, and put in 1 qrt of lucas oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Amsoil 0-20 year around in crankcase. Severe Gear 75-90 in both gear boxes. Syncromesh Amsoil in Transmission. Gained 4 miles per gallon (average)

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I have free oil changes for the next 3 years now, and I always take out 1 qrt, and put in 1 qrt of lucas oil.
That just seems a bit ridiculous :thefinger:
I generally run Mobile 1 5w30 because it comes in the 5+ Jugs which is just the right amount of oil for the JK.
Change it between 3-5K and have yet to have any come out looking too bad.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Why would you run 10w30 at all? Why not 0w30?
Because Royal purple doesnt make it:thefinger:

All the stores carry 5w20 and 10w30, from autozone, to walmart, 4wheelparts. I buy good oil, change it when its needed, and make sure it is weather appropriate. All the oil snobs claiming big MPH gains and extra horsepower from oil in their JKs crack me up. I love the guys that special order their shit:laughing:.

To the op: buy good oil and change it when its needed. No matter what you run, give the air filter some love, all of our dusty trails here will mean more frequent changes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts