JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, no pics right now so none of this actually happened...

Day 1: Drove to Orlando M&G at the Tilted Kilt. Stayed the night.

Day 2: Left Orlando, met JKristie44 in Pensacola for drinks after dinner and slept in Texas.:beer:

Day 3: Drove through Texas and slept in New Mexico.

Day 4: Met up with Moose512 then went up to OR Fab to visit with Kevin and
Steve and had brews that night with Kevin.:beer:

Day 5: Drove to Vegas.

Day 6: Went up to MichaelW's place for the night.

Day 7: Met RubiRobV to wheel, and completed Slick Rock then camped in
luxury and drank more.:beer:

Day 8: Went to San Diego.

Day 9: Played.

Day 10: Got to Rebel Off Road and got my PSC front crusher fenders installed.

Day 10.75-13: Spent time with family.

Day 14: Went to Big Bear and ran Gold Mtn under the instruction of Hatch. (Got flat here):beer:

Day 15-18: Went back to Vegas.:beer:

Day 19: Moab (Bald tires changed in Grand Junction, but only 2 so from this point on, stuck in 2wd):beer:

Day 20-23: Drove to down to AZ then to TN on Rte 66.:beer:

Day 24-26: Can't remember, but something about a pub crawl...:beer:

Day 27: Jeep decided it was tired and went to sleep...:bawling:

Day 28: Rented U-Haul to get my Jeep back home.:thefinger:

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Sounds kinda ghey- but I'm wondering what was the best and worst part of the trip, favorite state, etc.

Glad you are making it safely home.

....also wondering why the hell the Jeep decided to snooze.

:beer:

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine crapped out. The mechanic in Savannah thinks that one of the bearings is dropping the oil straight from the crankshaft to the pan...
Loud knock, then becomes horrible around 2000 RPM.

Best can't remember.

Worst, renting a U-Haul to get home...
Already home.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dude, that sucks! You went through all those miles, and then you had to drag your Jeep back home. :bawling:

But to tell you the truth, even with the last part of the trip, I still envy you. You must of had a blast, sounds like you did anyways. One of these days I hope I can take a trip like your's.

Thanks for posting throughout your trip, I enjoyed following along. I'll be looking forward to the pictures of the trip.

Thanks again,
Alex:beer:

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No warranty, I have an 07 from 06... I need to tear apart the engine to see what is wrong.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
I get a text last night "I'm Home!"

awesome...

sounds like an awesome trip. Hope its cheap to fix SHORT CIRCUIT.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Round trip mileage:8370.6
Jeep drove:7897.4
Other #'s to follow.

·
Registered
491 Posts
No warranty, I have an 07 from 06... I need to tear apart the engine to see what is wrong.
Give Brad at Overbuilt Customs a call. He may have a spare 3.8L sitting around.
Telephone: 904-993-5670
E-Mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
What a trip Ef. I didn't realize until Saturday night that you were at the end of your voyage. I knew you had it coming up, but I thought it was after Savannah. Sounds like a great trip. Do it while you're young and have the time.

You need to find you a pretty travel companion to take on your next trip. You know, the one to Alaska. :smokin:

Pretty cool that you took Rt. 66 that far. I've always thought that would be neat, but know with my patience, I would be heading for the freeway after about 30 red lights.

Sorry for your carnage, but at least you earned it. Don't sweat it. It'll get fixed and you'll still have those memories. I just wish I could have helped you out more. I should have just loaded your ass up on my trailer and took you home. Sorry man.

No clue on the noise unless maybe a crank rod. Doesn't sound good, but she seems to run smooth.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
What Orfab over Airpark?
:thefinger:

Ok cool trip, my parents did a trip with us in a dodge d50 with a vista shell in the mid 80's up to Canada stoping at every tourist trap we could find and boy I will do a trip like that as soon as I can figure out how do get 20MPGs out of my Jeep!

Jason

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
What Orfab over Airpark?

Ok cool trip, my parents did a trip with us in a dodge d50 with a vista shell in the mid 80's up to Canada stoping at every tourist trap we could find and boy I will do a trip like that as soon as I can figure out how do get 20MPGs out of my Jeep!

Jason

'bout the only way I know to get 20 mpg with your Jeep is put it on a trailer and tow it with a nice Diesel truck. Still might be kind of hard. Try starting on the uphill end or something. :smokin:

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My cluster showed over 20 for portions...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would you guys accept 17.25 MPG with running the engine to cool the jeep some nights?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, and the U Haul was horrible on mileage.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I see it's an auto...

OK, don't think I'm being stupid here, but I once owned a 4.0l Cherokee that made a sound much like that. We all thought it was a rod/main, but there were no shavings in the oil (???)

Began tearing it apart to swap the engine with a junkyard pull. Discovered a nasty cracked flexplate. Here's to hoping it's a cracked flexplate :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts