JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

I know, I know..I cheaped out on the winch, but I hardly have to use this thing. Well anyway, went to test it out today and the lever is stuck in respool! can't get it down to engage. I tried PB, didnt help right away but it did budge enough that it almost engages but it only does it for a sec. I have a lifetime warranty on it, but I am going wheeling tomorrow and wanted to see what you guys have done to get the damn lever to move! thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
803 Posts
Rotate the drum slowly while pushing the lever towards the engage position (don't force it), wiggle the drum a bit forth and back when you feel the lever starting to engage and it should easily go into the engaged position.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rotate the drum slowly while pushing the lever towards the engage position (don't force it), wiggle the drum a bit forth and back when you feel the lever starting to engage and it should easily go into the engaged position.
Sounds like great advice, I kind of tried that but the power of the winch was causing the plastic ring around that side of the winch to break apart! I will try again a little later. It is stuck in free spool...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
803 Posts
I meant rotating the drum by hand and not while powering it with the motor

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How did you do it by hand?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Pull on the rope ;)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't even move the line while its free spool. So I can't do it by hand

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I can't even move the line while its free spool. So I can't do it by hand

then its not in free spool?
Haha free spool is when you can grab it and pull it out to attach it.....

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
then its not in free spool?
Haha free spool is when you can grab it and pull it out to attach it.....
Thanks for the help buddy, didnt know what free spool was...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Ah so you're trying to switch it to free spool.
Is there tension on the rope? If Yes reverse the motor until the tension is relieved then try again to switch to free spool.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Well I'm not trying to be a dick...
I'm just lost....

Is it stuck in free spool? Or will it only re-spool?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Well I'm not trying to be a dick...
I'm just lost....

Is it stuck in free spool? Or will it only re-spool?
agree, take a picture, it could be a couple things. Maybe its coiled over it self and ya just need to give it a good pull. If you are sure its in free spool, hook it up to a friends truck and have him back up slowly. Make sure you are in neutral and with the ebreak on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I bought that winch in the past and had the same issues, it was replaced under warranty 3 times!!!! They finally let me pay the difference and I got a Warn.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
That happened to my xrc8. They gave me a new clutch handle and cover under warranty. Were good to deal with and an easy fix. Just annoying to deal with but you get what u pay for. While mine was stuck in spool I would just use the remote and push out if I needed it. Better to have it stuck in spool than free

Hope u get everything worked out soon

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That happened to my xrc8. They gave me a new clutch handle and cover under warranty. Were good to deal with and an easy fix. Just annoying to deal with but you get what u pay for. While mine was stuck in spool I would just use the remote and push out if I needed it. Better to have it stuck in spool than free

Hope u get everything worked out soon
Thanks, yeah I called them today and they sending me gear cover and new lever setup. Very helpful. Needed my winch a lot yesterday after I busted my rear driveshaft and it sucked not having it!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
My xrc8 is same way. Half the time the lever won't move. Even if I do get it to free spool it is a bitch to pull cable. I will say though it always works when I need it. About a month ago went wheeling with Chris from jeepaddons he had a mile marker winch I think. With synthetic line. I was amazed how easy it free spool'd. And pretty fast. Made me realize how cheap shittybuilt is. I won't buy another when this one quits.

Sent from a Android on Tapatalk..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts