JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After waiting some time for a decent full set of tube fenders, I gave up and installed some Xenon Narrow Fender Flares, which are 1.5" narrower than stock. I figured that they will flex when hit and by all accounts return back to shape pretty well. My tires were rubbing/catching on the stock flares when flexed, so I needed to do something.

Installation took a while, about 5 hours, with the first one taking nearly two hours and the last one less than 30 minutes. They are held in with bolts, and rivnuts (blind nuts) are used for the rears. The install is simple, it just took a while. The marker lights are a bit cheap and nasty, and the way you have to put them together is extra work, but they work just fine. Unless you want them to be rock lights, you have to wrap some tape around the lights, otherwise they illuminate your wheel wells.

There is a piece of hard plastic that fits under the top section of the front ones to prevent them losing their shape. It will be interesting to see how well this takes some abuse, but they are now so far and up out of the way I don't think it will be an issue. They fit really well, although I think they could have been better designed in a few places, in particularly the way they cover (or don't) the exposed sheet metal in the wheel well.

Overall, I'm happy with them, like the look, and most importantly won't have any clearance issues now.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
very nice, I like the look they give. I too hit the flares at full flex so this is a near future mod for me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I say BAN PHILD!! BAN HIM! BAN HIM BAN HIM!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Just kidding Phil, the Rig looks FANTASTIC!!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yeah I got the first set off production line and I love them. Did you notice the new hard plastic pieces in the front. That was because some of the wide ones where sagging. Little FYI for you. I slammed them into the side of a hill and they flexed nearly in half and only recieved a scratch very nice.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Phil, Looks GREAT!!!!!!

Can you post close up side shot of the front/rear? (I know, that would mean a separate trip to the beach for you. :D :D :D).

I wanna see closely how well the bumpers follow the lines of the fender well. I've seen some tube fenders that are built flat on top when the JK lines are actually curved.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Way better than bushwacker. Better material and overall apperance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Xenon

PhilD,

Could take some photo's of the areas that you are not completely happy with?

They do look great on the rig.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Found this on out there... Looks like they don't really follow the lines well, however in time I don't think I would even notice that..
Thx for the pic!

I don't see how they don't follow the lines. I can't make it out. ???

I do think it's funny that the highly modified rig with all those goodies has the stock bumpers. They look terrible.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Look at the wheel wells underneath... You can see the mounting holes from where the stock fenders were mounted and the well is round... Like I said after a while it wouldn't matter.... Maybe if you just painted the wells black, it would all blend right in..

Yeah well look at those crappy window wind guards and blacked out headlights.. On the site they describe these as the "off road look". I am guessing these are more appealing to posers than true off road enthusiasts. However like he said above they work great offroad..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Phil, it is a great look, do like those flares, just wish I could run something like that over here in the UK, as our regs say the tread of the tire must be covered:shaking:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Phil, it is a great look, do like those flares, just wish I could run something like that over here in the UK, as our regs say the tread of the tire must be covered:shaking:
Here's what you do...find the nearest mud and get it dirty. When you get pulled over, tell 'em sure they're covered. Covered with MUD!!

Phil, the flares look great!!

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can you post close up side shot of the front/rear? (I know, that would mean a separate trip to the beach for you. :D :D :D).

I wanna see closely how well the bumpers follow the lines of the fender well. I've seen some tube fenders that are built flat on top when the JK lines are actually curved.
No beach, although there is some sand on it ;)

They follow the lines very well, they are above the stepped down area that the stock ones sit in, so have a flush finish. It isn't 100% perfect, in places I guess there is a 0.5mm gap, but with some messing around you could get rid of that.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I like those but could you stand on them?? I have Shaffer's steel tube fenders and stand on them all the time to get to my roof rack and also to wash the top.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Could take some photo's of the areas that you are not completely happy with?
On the inner areas they have wrapped around the wheel liner liner in a couple of placers, but left other areas open. I wish they had covered all the inner areas like they did in places. Not a big deal at the end of the day, but it would have made the product a little more finished in my view.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Wow, those close ups really look pretty good.
I've got a new 2 door Rubicon on the way and I have to give these serious consideration.

·
Registered
792 Posts
On the inner areas they have wrapped around the wheel liner liner in a couple of placers, but left other areas open. I wish they had covered all the inner areas like they did in places. Not a big deal at the end of the day, but it would have made the product a little more finished in my view.

that second pic looks strange. I would have guessed that you cut that piece out, not that they were manufactured that way. strange. Other than that, they look good. I think because they narrow, it starts to show how tall your jeep really is.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts