JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so who thinks what is better? im shopping for one of them but not sure which one i want yet, who has what?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'd say go for the Xbox Elite if you have an HDTV with HDMI. The PS3 has some really nice features and may possibly be a better machine, but it doesn't have as many interesting games for it. Another thing to keep in mind is that Halo 3, Assassin's Creed, and Mass Effect are all going to be released within the next month or two. Most if not all of thoughs are for the 360 and ALL of them are very impressive looking. HD or Blue Ray is really a media battle that encompasses a lot more than just the machine... by the looks of it HD is winning because of its price advantage. The only couple of reasons to get a PS3 are for processing power or cult games like Metal Gear. Snag a 360 and you wont regret it!

And yes.... I am a total geek :).

-Casey

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i do have a hd tv, thats kinda why im leaning to a 360 and that mostg of my friends have the 360. i think ill get the 360 cause a guy at work is selling one for $230. boy is the wife gonna be pissed when i tell her to go to another tv to watch her stipid shows

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I have to disagree. It looks like the industry is going to blue ray, IMO. It seems more backers of HD are falling out. The major players left are really Microsoft and Toashiba (amoung others) but it even looks like to me the Microsft is getting more and more quiet about the Hd leaving more of the responsobility with Toshiba. My money is on the industry going with Blue ray.

I jsut went through the same desicion. I just ended up getting an Xbox. I do not have a HD tv. have a group of friends that play Halo so I went with the Xbox just because I am not a hard core gamer so the fact that it was a little cheaper, my friends play xbox live, came with two games and has more games available at this point is what made my desicion.

I think the PS3 will have a huge amount of games here shortly and after a while the new Xbox will come out. Then the desicion will be do I go with the PS3 that has more games or the new Xbox, lol.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I found I comment I had read before that I liked.

Blu-ray had the early lead, but HD-DVD has been making inroads, garnering support from major studios Warner, Paramount, Universal, and New Line Cinema, who've decided to play it safe and back both formats. From a marketing standpoint, HD-DVD appears to be positioning itself as the more practical high-def DVD solution, an extension of the format rather than a leap beyond it. The Blu-ray group, for better or worse, is taking the bait and campaigning on technological superiority. Unfortunately, as a result, the press has jumped on the whole VHS vs. Betamax analogy--you know, the old "the best technology doesn't always win" story, which doesn't help Sony.

also..

Blockbuster has been renting both Blu-ray and HD DVD titles in 250 stores since late last year and found that consumers were choosing Blu-ray titles more than 70 percent of the time.

I even saw recently that Warner has gone fully with Blue-ray and I thought I read somewhere that Paramount mentioned they would go Blue-ray of Warner did. If I am not mistaken there is not a studio that produce only HD DVD, I could be wrong though..

·
Registered
184 Posts
Have you seen the numbers for total disks sold? It is not much. If one of the company's really wanted to start selling disks they need make it possible to watch the movies on a standard DVD player, even if it meant including a second DVD in the packaging. That is the reason I have not bought any movies for my PS3. I own 5 other DVD players and I don't want to buy two versions of some of the movies just so I can watch them everywhere. This is especially true with the kids movies. I don't see upgrading to a Blue-Ray in the truck any time soon!

BTW, I really like my PS3. Assassins Creed so far has been a lot of fun! Medal of Honor 4 was fun too. I don't spend a lot of time gaming but it is better than watching another repeated episode of Mythbusters or Dirty Jobs!

peter

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
I have both and they both have pros and cons
for a game system right now, I'd say 360.
More games, cheaper games, cheaper system.
I do run them both in 1080 on my big screen and both have stunning graphics.
As far as movies, once you've seen a few HD or BluRay flicks on a big HD TV, man it's hard to go back to standard DVD.
My HD copy of 300 has both formats tho, HD on one side of the disc DVD on the other. That's a good idea for when you have both formats in the house, be nice if they were all like that.

·
Registered
592 Posts
What ever one you can get Rockstar on, I'm addicted.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Rockband rules!
My band is Toxic Dingo - I'm lead guitar, my girl is bass, my buddy is vocals and his girl is on drums.
We play it on 360 every weekend!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts