JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
They have about 1,000 miles on them, no rock rash. Pro comp 7005s 17"
I am only looking for 37" Toyo Mts on 17" rims will travel for the right deal.
I'm sure you know what you are doing so I hesitate to comment. I want to share my experience with both the Toyo Open Country MT's (37x13.5R17) and the Goodyear MT/R's w/Kevlar (37x12.5R17).

Have you driven a JK with both tires? I have, and have purchased both, first the Toyo's and then the Goodyears. A couple of things I learned.

The Toyo's are heavy (really heavy) load range e (very hard sidewall).
They rob an already underpowered JK of even more power that mine has none to spare.
I had them on pintlers and they needed spacers to fit on mine (I have clayton control arms).
With the spacers they stick out about 2-3 inches from the stock fenders, spraying EVERYTHING up the side (small rocks/big rocks doesn't matter)
In the morning they had flat spots and took a couple of miles before they were round on cold mornings or after the Jeep had been sitting a couple of days.
To get the right wear pattern they need to be at a pretty high pressure.

On the plus side they balanced very easy and after they were moving they drove very nice.

On the other hand the Goodyears are/were a pain to balance. Took a ridiculous amount of weight to balance. But after I got it figured out, they have been a much better tire. They are probably 25lbs lighter per tire. Still have them on the pintlers for now. They fit under the stock flairs with no spacers. They defiantly are easier to get rolling ..... and my mileage is now near 30 mpg. (but I don't keep close track, maybe 13, hell I don't know!)

My vote of course is keep the Goodyears.

:beer:

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm sure you know what you are doing so I hesitate to comment. I want to share my experience with both the Toyo Open Country MT's (37x13.5R17) and the Goodyear MT/R's w/Kevlar (37x12.5R17).

Have you driven a JK with both tires? I have, and have purchased both, first the Toyo's and then the Goodyears. A couple of things I learned.

The Toyo's are heavy (really heavy) load range e (very hard sidewall).
They rob an already underpowered JK of even more power that mine has none to spare.
I had them on pintlers and they needed spacers to fit on mine (I have clayton control arms).
With the spacers they stick out about 2-3 inches from the stock fenders, spraying EVERYTHING up the side (small rocks/big rocks doesn't matter)
In the morning they had flat spots and took a couple of miles before they were round on cold mornings or after the Jeep had been sitting a couple of days.
To get the right wear pattern they need to be at a pretty high pressure.

On the plus side they balanced very easy and after they were moving they drove very nice.

On the other hand the Goodyears are/were a pain to balance. Took a ridiculous amount of weight to balance. But after I got it figured out, they have been a much better tire. They are probably 25lbs lighter per tire. Still have them on the pintlers for now. They fit under the stock flairs with no spacers. They defiantly are easier to get rolling ..... and my mileage is now near 30 mpg. (but I don't keep close track, maybe 13, hell I don't know!)

My vote of course is keep the Goodyears.

that's quite a big mileage gap. :D

i had 37 mtrs before i put the toyos on. i loved my mtrs and i could power brake them too! even with the detroit in the rear i could power brake them on dry pavement! i like how wide my toyos are but they are definitely heavier than my mtrs were. i can't spin them over at all and dry pavement and have a hard time doing it on wet pavement. they have tons of grip. i'm very impressed with them.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I went from toyos to my mtrs, and I just miss the wider tire. I will be regearing in the next couple weeks so the weight doesn't bother me.
My comments above applied to being geared at 5.13 (what I have). Man I can't imagine what it would have been like at 4.10's.

btw Treaddepot.com seemed to have the best price on Toyo's when I was looking. I bet you could sell your MT/R's outright and just buy new. (just a thought)

·
Registered
321 Posts
the wide look is what i like most of the toyos over the mtrs. i had the old style mtrs. the floatation and grip is way better with the wide toyos than the mtrs.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Good luck Mike. I heard you talking about this at Jeeptoberfest.... and I also saw the look on her face when you said it. :laughing2:

Free BUMP for ya!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts