JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wranglers should be simple.

I recently removed my carpet and I love it. A dog vomited in the back while offroad recently and clean-up took two minutes with a water hose.

I pulled the underhood insulation that had doubled in weight with all the mud it was holding. I took off the Sahara steps and decals. Got rid of the rear fender liners when I went from Sahara to black fenders. (Anyone in Orlando need rear fender liners?) Headrests are gone too. I'm tall and can now throw my arm over my new lowbacks. ( Sorry safety police )

Roll bar padding should probably go too. Soft top bows are hard to install/remove with it in the way and it's only a matter of time before it gets muddy and faded. But I've seen plenty of pictures of that removed, I'll probably go for it soon.

Now, I've got my eye on the plastic molding inside the doorway. With the carpet out there is a big gap underneath the plastic threshold where all kinds of nastiness could hide. I've searched but can't find any pictures of this molding removed.

Please post pictures of/comments on removed door molding and anything else that the rest of us might not have thought of. Removed parts mean less weight, easier to clean and it's free! Thanks!

Edit: Since threads without pics are lame. I'll post some later

I have the light version of the stock bumper.

No under-hood insulation

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I agree.

My carpet has been gone for a while... Same with under hood insulation crap. I also removed the shift knobs and center console. Still wanna bedline the tub though.

Still have the headrests? Got an experiment I wanna perform...

·
Registered
207 Posts
A friend of mine also removed the insulation from his hood. In about 6 months the paint on the hood started to bubble & peal real bad in two spots. And their not small.

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
A friend of mine also removed the insulation from his hood. In about 6 months the paint on the hood started to bubble & peal real bad in two spots. And their not small.
Most likley another issue causing it, as not all Jks come with the underhood insulation. My 09 Rubicon had it, but my 11 Sport Unlimited does not. I know several people with various years of JKs that do not have the underhood insulation and no issues with paint.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Most likley another issue causing it, as not all Jks come with the underhood insulation. My 09 Rubicon had it, but my 11 Sport Unlimited does not. I know several people with various years of JKs that do not have the underhood insulation and no issues with paint.
yea my 08 x doesnt have it and it is perfectly fine. so fine infact that i cut a huge hole in it :D

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Troughs for the wiring live under the plastic door molding. Not attractive, and would fill with all sorts of dirt and junk, so not good for the wiring either.

So you've saved some weight. Now let's start ripping out all that electronic-controlled crap. Start with manual lockers and disconnect. Permanently disable ESP/BAS. Direct switch/relay wiring for lights. Mechanical throttle control. Now we're talking Jeep. No Jeep needs heated, remote side mirrors.

Unfortunately, no computer = no going.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree.

My carpet has been gone for a while... Same with under hood insulation crap. I also removed the shift knobs and center console. Still wanna bedline the tub though.

Still have the headrests? Got an experiment I wanna perform...

I still have the headrests, I haven't decided what to do with them yet, I'll keep you in mind though. Yeah, I'm thinking Raptor liner for my tub eventually.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the heads up I'll watch out for that. I don't think I'd mind a flat-black anti-glare hood if that did happen though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Troughs for the wiring live under the plastic door molding. Not attractive, and would fill with all sorts of dirt and junk, so not good for the wiring either.

So you've saved some weight. Now let's start ripping out all that electronic-controlled crap. Start with manual lockers and disconnect. Permanently disable ESP/BAS. Direct switch/relay wiring for lights. Mechanical throttle control. Now we're talking Jeep. No Jeep needs heated, remote side mirrors.

Unfortunately, no computer = no going.

Good call on the wiring. If no one posts pictures I'll just have to take the molding off and see for myself. Maybe the plastic conduit can be taped up and tucked under the metal lip of the threshold.

I like the idea of disabling ESP etc, I hate when I forget to turn it off and I get a dead gas pedal right when I need it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
damn,you even removed the glass on one of your headlights.,
The weight savings on that mod turned out to be negligible, so I went ahead and replaced both with IPFs :)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I never had the underhood insulation and my paint isn't peeling.

As far as the weight reduction goes I've got my front carpet removed and I'm acquiring funds to bedline my 2-door. The wiring that runs down the channel is sheathed so I would probably pull it. You can see it going over the rear wheel wells when there's no carpet anyways. If you're really worried about it you could wrap it in insulation (foam, or if you're adventurous conduit piping).

I thought those headlight housings were advertised as unbreakable.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I never had the underhood insulation and my paint isn't peeling.

As far as the weight reduction goes I've got my front carpet removed and I'm acquiring funds to bedline my 2-door. The wiring that runs down the channel is sheathed so I would probably pull it. You can see it going over the rear wheel wells when there's no carpet anyways. If you're really worried about it you could wrap it in insulation (foam, or if you're adventurous conduit piping).

I thought those headlight housings were advertised as unbreakable.
Yeah, it looks like the wiring in the back could somehow be attached close to the side of the tub, with part of it being covered by the lip of the doorway (back doors) and over the wheelwells.

The offending object went through the glass, came out through the back of the housing and busted the power steering reservoir behind it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hood insulation? Where the hell have I been? I never knew that JK's had hood insulation. :hide:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts