JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ADDICTION II build begins....
3,833 Posts
Here is the story on what happened to GenRight during King of the Hammers that eventually led to pulling out at Chocolate Thunder:

The team spent countless hours trying to get the car ready for race day... the had a great qualifying run 0n Tuesday for 7th starting position on race day!
Race day, they got an awesome start to the day, but the dust from the other cars was BAD. Tony was driving patiently until Martel where his t-case shifter fell off. He repaired it, as about 20 competitors went by. He took a deep breath and put on his game face! He and his co-driver spent the next 25 miles tracking down all those guys who passed them. The car was running great and he had settled into a good fast pace! He and his co-driver came down Jack Hammer and transitioned over to Chocolate Thunder, they were in 5th place by then! Tony hit the entrance just like he did during the qualifier... little did he know something was wrong with his front axle (you need 4 wheel drive for this obstacle!) and went for it only to be thrown on his lid before he could do anything.
The recovery crew got them back on the wheels, by then Jason Scherer caught up to the team and was trying to get by them. Tony's engine would barely run and he was trying to back up out of the way as he knew there were many more cars behind him. He and his co-driver got the car backed up and were checking the engine and front air locker, everything seemed to be functioning properly so they gave the obstacle another cautious attempt, that is when Tony realized they still only had 3 wheel drive! :(
Long story short... that's when they decided to call it a day. At that point, Tony took the opppertunity to see if he could help some of the other competitors (as the rules state no outside assistance is allowed) so he and his team loaned tools, parts and assitance to as many others as they could. They all are looking forward to next year's race!

You know the Jeeper's rule....wheel it, break it, fix it, repeat!! :D

·
Registered
882 Posts
he and his team loaned tools, parts and assitance to as many others as they could. They all are looking forward to next year's race!

Just want to say thanks for the entertainment, I was not pulling for a certain rig....I was pulling for all of them. It was an awesome event to watch!! A lot of great race teams giving it their all.:beer:

·
RIP Brad
3,762 Posts
Here is the story on what happened to GenRight during King of the Hammers that eventually led to pulling out at Chocolate Thunder:

The team spent countless hours trying to get the car ready for race day... the had a great qualifying run 0n Tuesday for 7th starting position on race day!
Race day, they got an awesome start to the day, but the dust from the other cars was BAD. Tony was driving patiently until Martel where his t-case shifter fell off. He repaired it, as about 20 competitors went by. He took a deep breath and put on his game face! He and his co-driver spent the next 25 miles tracking down all those guys who passed them. The car was running great and he had settled into a good fast pace! He and his co-driver came down Jack Hammer and transitioned over to Chocolate Thunder, they were in 5th place by then! Tony hit the entrance just like he did during the qualifier... little did he know something was wrong with his front axle (you need 4 wheel drive for this obstacle!) and went for it only to be thrown on his lid before he could do anything.
The recovery crew got them back on the wheels, by then Jason Scherer caught up to the team and was trying to get by them. Tony's engine would barely run and he was trying to back up out of the way as he knew there were many more cars behind him. He and his co-driver got the car backed up and were checking the engine and front air locker, everything seemed to be functioning properly so they gave the obstacle another cautious attempt, that is when Tony realized they still only had 3 wheel drive! :(
Long story short... that's when they decided to call it a day. At that point, Tony took the opppertunity to see if he could help some of the other competitors (as the rules state no outside assistance is allowed) so he and his team loaned tools, parts and assitance to as many others as they could. They all are looking forward to next year's race!

Waaaaaaaaa..... genright is a bunch of nancies. PSC finished Everyman with broken steering and took first place. I guess. Tony couldnt steal Larry's thunder this time.... I bet he makes a knock off car next time. Lol

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
That was great watching the coverage! Saw lots of broken parts.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Waaaaaaaaa..... genright is a bunch of nancies. PSC finished Everyman with broken steering and took first place. I guess. Tony couldnt steal Larry's thunder this time.... I bet he makes a knock off car next time. Lol
You sure do talk a lot of shit dude, got to imagine you have a whole wardrobe filled with Affliction and Ed Hardy crap to match you attitude.:thefinger:

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Ohhh nooooo someone pissed off the PSC fan club.

Watch out Tom the :shitstorm: is going to come.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Hmmm full hydro in a EMC :flame: and last time I checked Tony wasnt running the EMC just sayin. At least a true EMC car won overall and it was a full framed rig on 35's nothing fancy

·
Registered
871 Posts
They both got DNFs so neither one of them had any "thunder"

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Man, I can't believe so many people had that much trouble on Chocolate Thunder. I crawled right up it in my JK just before the race with Woods watching. Then crawled right up it again the night after the race with a few guys from my club; it was more dug out than usual at the bottom and the waterfall at the top, but nothing too difficult.

It seems as if many of these rigs are becoming more desert racer than rock crawlers, and this year's rock-laden course really took them out of their game plan. I watched the time trials and half the rigs were so low to the ground that they couldn't keep from getting turtled on the first rock. Many racers have ditched rock crawling rubber in favor of desert racing tires, and were struggling on relatively easy obstacles. Can't fault tire usage with many race teams though, as sticky compound tires are almost impossible to find and BFG/Goodyear really backed off on offering rocksports much support.

The overall winner of the race was running an old-school rock crawling buggy rather than a new-fangled $200K IFS rig. It was also really awesome to see a full-bodied Jeep on 35s win overall on EMC, and watch a full-body toy with a carbed 22r and regular Iroks finish the main race. It still proves that money doesn't win this race or guaranty a finish.

Sucks for Tony, as he really put in the time and preparation for that race. I went to Johnson Valley 3 times prior to the race, and every time Tony was out there testing the rig. Tony and Larry worked their asses off getting ready for KOH. Its the world's toughest race course and no rig finishes without damage no matter how well you prepare. I watched a couple of good friends put countless hours of work, family neglect, and a small fortune into their race cars, only to break on the first lap. I give lots of props to all who do it, and completely understand why they do it.

ARBs are a high-failure item in this race, which is what many racers are gravitating towards Detroits/spools.

Out of all the KOH courses, this was the best IMO. Hopefully its not the last KOH.

·
ADDICTION II build begins....
3,833 Posts
I couldn't believe it when I heard the news for Tony after watching his pre-race...he flew up CT with relative ease. I heard from Tony and he said something broke in the front axle preventing him from having 4 Wheel Drive so he couldn't make it up CT. He and his co-driver backed off of CT and helped the other racers where needed to get through the race! :D Rules for it was that only racers could help other racers with no other external help.

There was another rig with the same issue that got about halfway up CT and something broke only having 2 wheel drive. The back wheels were spinning but nothing in the front end. They even tried the winch to no luck. A couple other rigs tried to push from behind with their rigs but just wasnt happening from when I was watching.

·
Registered
913 Posts
It was amazing how the cars were flying right up when Bender was spotting them. As soon as he left it turned into a parking lot again until Dave got there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts