- Fire Starter
- Lantern
- Gear Storage
- Shackles
- Tire Plug Kits
- Tents
- Camping Toilet
- And More

This is an ongoing thread, where I post reviews about gear that I use. Equipment that I believe offer exceptional value. This gear is not necessarily Jeep specific, but rather gear that Jeepers commonly use. When it makes sense, I’ll be offering these products at JeepSWAG.com.

If you are interested in learning about the products that I use, please subscribe to either this thread or my blog at: www.JeepSWAG.com/blog

If you have a piece of equipment that you'd like to tell me about, then read the second post in this thread.

There’s a lot of garbage out there these days and I’m hoping this thread will help you find products that are affordable, work well and will last the test of time.

Products that I have not found a brand/model that I am yet willing to endorse, because I haven’t found any that offer exceptional value:

- Windproof lighter. I own a Brunton Firestorm. It's an exceptional lighter, however because of the high price I don’t consider it to be an exceptional value.

- Folding Table. I own a Alps Mountaineering table. It works fine, but is not going to last a lifetime.

Products that I will not endorse, because either each user will have their own preferences or there are just too many of the same type on the market
- Stoves. I use a Century for deluxe camping and a Coleman Single Burner for a compact.
- Pots and pans. I’m happy with my MSR set and I’m sure there are many other great sets out there.
- Silveware. I use standard table ware.
- Knives. Don’t get me started.
- Pack Towel.
- Water Jugs. I recommend a soft sided one, for packablity. I am happy with my Reliance Collapsible, but have read a lot of bad reviews, where they leak.
- Chuck box and Cooler. I use the 45 Gallon Action packer and an Igloo 72 Quart Marine Cooler. Both fit well in the back of a 4-door, but are less than optimal for packablility.

·
Vendor
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you have a product that you can’t live without

If you have a product that you can’t live without:

If you have products that continually impress you, please Private Message details to me. I’m very interested in learning about how you’ve wisely spent your hard earned dollars. If it’s something that makes sense, I’ll buy and use the product. If I see the same value, I’ll try to review and offer the product at JeepSWAG.com.

If you own any of the products that I have written about, please post your thoughts and experiences with them. Please do not post about products that I have not initially posted.

I will try my best to focus on facts and experience, and not opinions. I encourage you to do the same.

Products that readers have recommended to me:

Fiskars Axe
Fiskars Sharpener
Gravity Fed Water Filter
Princeton LED Head Light (the kind you wear on your head)

Thanks to: (for sending me products to consider)
- lax71vcu

·
Vendor
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Redline Cree LED Flashlight Review

Nebo Redline Flashlight - Available at JeepSWAG.com

I’m a certifiable “flashlight nerd”. Among some others, I currently own:
Underwater Kinetics C4 with NiMH batteries and a high output Xenon bulb (Pricey but nicey)
Underwater Kinetics 4AA Twist Bezel (great when it works)
Underwater Kinetics 2AAA Mini Pocket Light (great value compact light)
Stanley HID (A big giant monster in every way)
3 Cell LED Maglite (great value)
2 Cell LED Maglite (great value)
2 AA Cell Xenon Maglite (crap)
Surefire 2DE Executive (Expensive at $110)
Nebo Redline (Best Value at about $30)

Super bright, VERY Smooth adjustable beam. Runs on inexpensive AAA batteries. Compact and light. I’ve read and watch many youtube reviews of flash lights. I’ve not seen any lights of this quality and performance for anywhere near this price.

Specifications
Settings – 220 lumens / 110 lumens / 22 lumens / S.O.S. / Defensive Strobe
Runtime
- 100% - 4 hours of continuous illumination
- 50% - 8 hours of continuous illumination
- 10% - 15 hours of continuous illumination
- S.O.S. - 72 hours of continuous illumination
- Strobe - 72 hours of continuous illumination
Length – 4.5”
Diameter – 1.5”
Weight – 0.428 lbs.
Batteries – 3 AAA batteries (included)

YouTube - ‪Woods Gear Review, $29 Redline Flashlight From JeepSWAG.com‬‏

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just picked up one of these from Brett Woods AKA JeepSWAG. I don't work for Brett and I paid for the flashlight.

This thing is awesome! Miles better than my 3 and 4-d Maglites (with regular bulbs). The light is perfect with no 'dead zones' in the light circle. I've had those other cheapy lights of about this size but they suck. This one is totally worth the price. I'm getting a couple more from him soon.

The cool features like adjustable brightness, SOS, 'tactical front' are all nice, but it's the light itself that is so good. White light, great spread and great narrow beam too. Buy some.

·
Vendor
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for posting. I'm already having to place an other stock order and am expecting some more guys to be posting similar posts.

I just picked up one of these from Brett Woods AKA JeepSWAG. I don't work for Brett and I paid for the flashlight.

This thing is awesome! Miles better than my 3 and 4-d Maglites (with regular bulbs). The light is perfect with no 'dead zones' in the light circle. I've had those other cheapy lights of about this size but they suck. This one is totally worth the price. I'm getting a couple more from him soon.

The cool features like adjustable brightness, SOS, 'tactical front' are all nice, but it's the light itself that is so good. White light, great spread and great narrow beam too. Buy some.

·
Vendor
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sleeping Bag Review

Wiggy’s Sleeping Bags

The value of a sleeping bag is driven by four factors.
- Price
- Warmth
- Size (compressed)
- Warranty
- Weight

You don't need to spend $500:
Let me start by saying that I sleep cold. At 20 degrees, I’m comfortable in a -20 degree bag. I’ve tested way too many sleeping bags over the years. I currently own a warm large heavy and inexpensive Kelty. A -30 degree Slumberjack Big Timber, A 0 degree rated Qualofil mummy bag, A 0 degree rated Coleman, A Summer rated North Face a Wiggy’s Ultima Thule a Wiggy's FTRSS Overbag, as well as a couple of other bags that I’ve collected over the years. I’ve always known that I can spend over $500 on a bag and get a great product; lured by promises of extreme cold temp ratings, Iv'e typically gone the cheap route. I’m writing to share what I’ve learned and hopefully help you avoid making the same mistakes.

Jeeps don't have much storage space:
All but my Qualofil and Wiggy’s bags do not compress well. They're all warm, but when I pack for more than a two day trip, the space that two of these bags takes, is too much. Thus, my quest for the perfect bag continued.

Not down with down:
Down has some problems. If it gets wet, it does not work, does not like to be compressed for long periods of time and is expensive. These are deal killers for me, unless I’m hiking.

Does your bag make packing complicated?:
I do what I can to minimize the amount of work required to pack and unpack my gear. Unpacking and uncompressing a bag for storage is unnecessary work.

For cold weather, go for a fitted bag;
When it comes to warmth size matters more than you might think. My first Wiggy’s bag was a Super Light with a hood, rated at 0 degrees. Iv'e used this bag in 30 degree weather and did not sleep warm. What this bag taught me was how important bag size is. The Super Light is a large rectangular shaped bag. A low volume bag is much warmer than a large volume bag. In the summer time, go for a larger volume bag and for winter camping, go for a fitted bag.

After all of my testing, I’ve ended up with a Wiggy’s FTRSS sleep system. The most popular Wiggy's FTRSS is the "Super Light FTRSS". A true 4 season, two bag set, that covers ratings at 40 degrees, 0 degrees and -40 degrees. MSRP is $408 and JeepSWAG sells it for under $290 shipped. The Overbag is a large warm bag that gets me through over half the year. If you’re a fair weather camper, the Overbag cannot be beat. It’s a 2 lb. bag that compresses very well. Wiggy’s have what I’d call a cult type following. Those that use them love them. As far as I know they are the only sleeping bags manufactured in the U.S.A. They can be stored compressed and compress down to a very small size.

Heater Tip:
I use a four season tent for winter camping and a great tip that I have is to purchase a Mr. Heater Buddy heater. This little heater will heat my tent from 20 degrees to 70 degrees, in about five minutes. I pre-heat my tent, then roll the bags to remove all of the cold air from them. In the morning, I’ll fire up the heater a few minutes before climbing out of my bag. You won’t believe how much more comfortable this is.

LINK TO THE JEEPSWAG SLEEPING BAG PAGE

Here you can see why my "big bag" took too much room in the Jeep:

Video Review of how the Wiggy's FTRSS System works:
YouTube - ‪Wiggy's Sleeping Bag - Woods Killer Gear from JeepSWAG.com‬‏

Good review that I found on Youtube:
YouTube - ‪Wiggy's Sleeping Bag Review-Urban Survival‬‏

Another vid with some extreme camping (sleeping details start at min. 3:30:
YouTube - ‪Winter Overnighter with Joe Feb 5 2011‬‏

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey Brett, thanks for the flashlights! Just got 2 more as gifts for friends, they were totally stoked by these cool lights. I'll probably get a couple more next month.

·
Vendor
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WAY TO LONG without an update.

Here's a gnarly vid testimonial for wiggy's bags. This guy's a NUT!: http://youtu.be/YD3wA5Wrcmc

·
Vendor
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Two times, I've been on runs where a fuse has blown. On my own rig, the fuse for the fuel pump went. No rime or reason. It happened about three years ago and has never happened since. Another time, we missed diagnosing the fuse as the problem and three hours of trail towing and a tow truck ride later, we learned that the fuse was the problem. EVERY rig should carry spare fuses. But what to do when your fuse blows and for some reason you miss that it's the problem. Here's the best answer that I have. Harbor freight carries fuses that light up when a fuse blows. They have an integrated LED in every fuse. They work very well and will assure that you don't miss a blown fuse indication again.

An absolute NO BRAINER. Buy these!: http://www.harborfreight.com/30-piece-self-testing-atm-mini-blade-auto-fuse-set-67694.html

·
Vendor
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fiskars 28" Chopping Axe is back

A couple years ago, I wrote a review for the Fiskars Pro Chopping Axe. Before I published it, I learned that Fiskars was no longer making it. Got some great news, this year. The Fiskars 28" Chopping Axe is back and better looking than ever. It's now called the Fiskars Chopping Axe and now it's almost all black (used to have some orange on the handle and the rest was dark grey).

With the release of the axe, I'm posting my old review below.

Check out JeepSWAG for dealz on the Fiskars Axe, Sharpener and DOR Hi-Lift Jack. More info and BUY IT HERE

My home does not have a gas fireplace, so I split my own kindling for winter heating. Prior to my Fiskars axe, I used a standard double sided wood handled axe. After a couple of broken handles, I set out to find a “good” axe. Just like many other internet product reviews, folks seemed to like whatever they owned. More so, if they had spent a lot of money. I limited the reviews, that I considered, to users who’ve used multiple brands of axes. I found several reviewers who have used both Estwing and Fiskars/Gerber. The opinions go back and forth. The facts that I could use for comparison are. Fiskars head seems to be harder. One reviewer used an Estwing and a Fiskars together. He was using one as a splitter and the other as a hammer. The Estwing showed some signs of being hit, while the Fiskars showed no signs of wear. I figure that this is due to the Fiskars head being hardened, while the Estwing is not. Both are Forged. The handle for the Fiskars is composite, while the Estwing is steel. The composite handle seems to eliminate vibration and the Estwing can be a bit tough on you. Gränsfors Bruks and Hudson Bay have a certain following. I have not used either, but I know they are two to four times the money of a Fiskars or Estwing. I am not willing to spend over $50 on an axe. To make a long story short, compared to my standard double headed axe, the Fiskars is twice the axe. I now cut more wood with less work. For camping and Jeeping, it’s very high value is without question. On a side note, I also carry a Gerber Gator Axe II. It’s a light weight 15.5” hatchet, with a handle that houses an extremely sharp 10.5” hand saw. Another great product fo sho…

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.