JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Tom Wood's JK Front Drive Shaft Install

One day when I am rich I will install a new rear drive shaft. For now my rear is looking ok. My front was toast though. So today I installed a Tom Wood's front drive shaft. I gotta say, this is one nice piece of metal!!

Here is a shot of the stocker next to the new Wood's shaft

·
Banned
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As you can see, My front shaft was done for and I am sure it would not have been much longer before it gave up the ghost.

The Boot on the slip section of the shaft was ripped and you can see where the stocker had rubbed on the skid.

The main issue though was the ripped boot and driveline angle at the Rzeppa joint. It was torn wide open. Grease had been slingin out for a while now. I can only imagine how much water and dirt had gotten inside the joint.

·
Banned
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok, so enough chit chat. On to the write up...

I purchased my shaft from PhilD at Trailduty.com.
CLICK---> Wood's Front Drive Shaft

To place your order, you will only need to take a simple measurment

It only took a couple days for it to be sitting on my doorstep from the day I ordered it. It came with everything I needed for the install.

SUPPLIES NEEDED FOR INSTALL

• Woods Front JK Drive Shaft
  • Blue Locktite
  • The
    woods Shaft comes with a Pinion Flange nut. If you are installing a shaft that does not come with one you will need to order one first as they are designed for a one time use. Part # 5143738AA

TOOLS NEEDED FOR INSTALL

• Torque wrench capable of up to 200 ft lbs
  • Needle style torque wrench capable of inch lbs
  • Lug nut wrench
  • 4 Jack Stands
  • Wheel Chocks
  • Jack
  • Pry Bar
  • 21mm Socket (Calipers)
  • 15mm Socket (Bolts mating stock shaft to stock pinion flange)
  • 8mm socket with 1/4 drive (Bolts mating stock shaft to stock TC flange)
  • 1/2" Socket (TC end of new Wood's Shaft)
  • 1 1/4" Socket (TC Flange nut)
  • 1 1/8" Socket (New Woods TC flange nut and Pinion Flange Nut)
  • 5/8" Socket (Bolts on new Wood's shaft mating DS to Pinion flange)

Phils contribution in regards to the flange nuts:
Ever heard of the metric system? ;) I used a 29, 32, and 33mm.

·
Banned
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Step 1

Engage parking brake, chok rear tires, Loosen lugnuts on front tires, jack up front of rig, place a set of jackstands under frame, Place a set of jackstands under axle, remove tires.

Step 2

Shift TC into 4wd to keep DS from spinning. Using a 15mm socket, Remove the four bolts that mate the stock DS to the the pinion flange. YOu may need to shift out of 4wd to spin the DS to get to some of the bolts.

Step 3

This is probably the most obnoxious part of the job. Now you need to remove the 8 bolts that mate the stock DS to the TC flange. You will need a 8mm socket on a 1/4" drive as there is not much room to work with. I shifted out of 4wd as I was able to loosen the bolts by just holding the flange from spinning by hand. YOu will need to remove a bolt, rotate shaft, remove the next, lather, rinse, repeat

Step 4

You can now remove the stock POS shaft

Step 5

Shift into 4wd. Using the 1 1/4" Socket, remove the stock TC flange Nut.

Step 6

Next is removing the stock TC flange. I began to put my gear puller on the flange when I noticed it only took a tap on it to pull it off. So before you bother with the gear puller, just give it a couple taps and see what you get

Step 7

The Tom Wood's shafts are supplied with a new TC flange nut. Just pick the one that has the correct pitch. You can toss the other

·
Banned
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Step 8

Slide the new Wood's TC flange on. I tried to reuse the dust shield from the stock flange but for the life of me I could not get it on the new flange as it is slightly thicker.

Step 9

Use the 1 1/8" socket to torque the new TC fange nut to 90-130 ft. lbs.

Step 10

Use 21 mm socket to remove the two bolts holding each caliper on. remove calipers.

Step 11

Now you will need to detirmine your reload on the pinon crush sleeve so you can put te new flange on as it was before. I got the info on how to do this from Rotor Head (thanks!).
Be sure nothing is touching your disks/hubs. Use the 1 1/8" socket on the needle style inch lbs torque wrench. PLace on pinion nut and measure the amount of tourge it takes to spin the hubs. Take a couple readings to get a good average. Make a note as you will need this measurment later

Step 12

Now you can remove the pinon flange nut. YOu will need to keep the flange from spinning so you can loosen the nut. I placed two bolts in the flange and wedge a wrench between the two nuts and the LCA.

Step 13

USe the gear puller to remove the stock Pinion flange

Step 14

Slide on new Wood's Flange.USe the new Wood's pinion flange nut supplied with the shaft. If you are installing a shaft that did not come with one, use the new one you ordered from Jeep. (part #5143738AA)

Step 15

Tighten the Pinion flange nut to 150 lbs and stop. now you will need to set the flange nut to the same as it was before. USe your inch lb wrench to see how much force it takes to spin the hubs. Tighten the flange nut in 5 lb incriments, checking rotational force until it is back to where it was. Never loosen the flange bolt to get the proper setting. If you reach 200 lbs before you reach the proper setting you need a new crush sleeve. So take your time with this and set it properly and you will have no problems

·
Banned
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Step 16

Slide the new Wood's shaft into place. On the Pinion end, Screw in a couple bolts just to hold the shaft in place

Step 17

Place some blue locktite on the 5/8" bolts

Step 18

Shift into 4wd. Use the 5/8" Socket to install the 4 new bolts that attach the Wood's shaft to the new Wood's TC flange

Step 19

Place Blue locktite on the 1/2" bolts and tighten the 4 1/2" bolts that mate the new Wood's shaft to the new pinion flange.

That is basically it! YOu have a new shaft now!!!

·
Banned
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take it for a drive and see if there are vibrations at any speed. If you are getting any vibrations you may need to adjust your pinion angle using adjustable lower or upper control arms. The goal is to have the pinon pointing directly at the TC. YOu may have to give up a little ideal angle for proper caster in the front. BAsically, you will need to hunt for the balance between steering and vibrations.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Nice write up... You bast u r d and all your new mods!! I need to do this.. I checked my front and its slingin grease around. Luckily I have a spare front, but it will take a dump too in no time..

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.