JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the bottom of my face is so swollen and numb, I can barely drink anything without wearing the majority of it. But I did get some pain pills that were small in size but the antibiotic is huge

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Take the painkillers as needed, but don't get dependent on them. Regular Ibuprofen in 800mg doses every 8 hours will suffice. Also, it will help reduce the swelling. Don't try anything from a straw and concentrate on small bites of soft foods. Noodles/pasta and ice cream are going to be your friend.

Why they gave you antibiotics is beside me. It's almost like they're telling you they did a shitty job and are giving you an infection. Keep an eye on things and keep the area clear of lodged pieces of food. There are flush kits at your local CVS/Walgreens that will assist.

Get better bro! We've all been there and it ends in about a week. :beer:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks doc yeah so far today it been a little bit of water and tomato soup. one of my teeth was pretty screwed up and I think they busted it out due the first I change the gauze I had a couple of really small piece of tooth come out with the gauze.

penicillin, meperidine, hydrocondone, and ondansetron was what they gave me

my biggest complaint right now is my limp felly itchy but I cant fell myself scratch it

·
Registered
278 Posts
My daughter had to have all four surgically removed Wed. Today is the worst day of swelling for her but she is doing good. I told her she was lucky, when they removed all four of mine in the military they gave me some motrin and sent me back to work.:beer:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I've already had somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 teeth yanked at one time...glad I wasn't lactose intolerant...had ice cream like it was going out of style.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Yeah, sounds like the one was what they called "impacted", meaning it was turned sideways in the canal. Normally, (and unfortunate) they have to break it up and take it out piece by piece. And damn that's a lot of meds for just a wisdom extraction. Play it by how you feel, but you should be good to go with Ibuprofen and the hydrocodone. Like I said, give it a week or so and you'll be able to upgrade to something with a bit of texture.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had all 4 of mine removed at the same time...was brutal. One was stuck pretty bad and they had to pry my mouth open quite a bit (I went under for the procedure). I was on food supplement drinks for over a week because I couldn't open my mouth enough to chew anything.

Get better soon!

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,945 Posts
It's brutal having all four done, which I did. Matters worse, I had a completely impacted left lower molar that required the method described by Doc. They had to section it in order to remove it, so I had little pieces of tooth washing out for the first few days and a huge socket to avoid, even after it healed most of the way, there was still a hole where it used to be for months. Feel better man! :beer:

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,377 Posts
Demerol and hydro? That'll shut pain down. What's with the anti nausia med? Is it because the nausia experienced with the opiates?

Had all for done in Germany when I was 23. Wife's(then girlfriend) suzuki samuri died and wouldn't start. I had to jump out and push start it on the way home from the clinic on base. I ate popeyes chicken, ate pills, drank Parkbrau Perminators, drooled on myself in the barracks watching leathal weapon 2 on VHS, and fortunately didn't have any dry sockets.

Hope for a speedy recovery for you brother into this new year!

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
I had all 4 of mine removed at the same time...
That's what happened to me. The US Navy decided to do all 4 of mine at the same time! At least I got out of work for a couple of days:beer:

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,377 Posts
i have to get mine pulled, only as a precaution though. should I not do all 4 at once then?
:beer: Here is to your speedy recovery!
Get all four done and get it over with. No point in going through that shit twice unless its for a medical reason.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Get better bro! We've all been there and it ends in about a week. :beer:
...Unless you get dry sockets - keep an eye on things. I went back for my checkup after they pulled all 4 of mine and was asked if the pain was pretty bad. I told them only when I would take a breath. Something about the feeling of cold air on bone is not refreshing. Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I had the two on the right side of my mouth done. Really only needed one done, all my wisdom teeth came in fine, I just broke one and it abscessed and it had to go. I had both on that side done because I didn't want to have a tooth on top with no tooth on the bottom.

I went to an oral surgeon, because the dentist said, "I can extract the broken tooth, but I'll have to section it and take it out in pieces."

I said HELLLLLLLLL NOOO.

Didn't feel a damn thing, I was good and out the whole time. They even drew some blood, spun it to get the platelets out, and packed those into the holes left by my teeth. This prevented "dry socket".

At least for the first few days, TAKE YOUR DAMN PAIN MEDS. If it says take it every 4 hours, take it every 4 hours. If you wait until you can't stand it anymore to take your pain meds, it will take either twice as much, or twice as long before you feel any relief. Don't play around with that. If you're managing legitimate pain, you're not going to get all dopey and slow. It'll simply make the pain go away and you'll feel normal.

The idea is that you knock the pain down, and keep it down by taking your meds as scheduled. If you let that pain get back up, it'll be a lot harder to knock it down again.

Too many people out there go, "Oh I don't need that, I'm tough." And they try to be a hardass and suffer through the pain. There's no point in being miserable with mouth pain. That's why you had the damn teeth removed in the first place.

~SoCo

·
Registered
866 Posts
Had mine out in 1980 by Air Force dentists. They used and IV drug that actually prevented inflammation. Worked great. No chipmunk cheeks. But my teeth were sore for two weeks from the sudden release of the pressure. Those dumb teeth were coming in sideways.
Hydro worked great fro the pain.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
All 4 of mine were impacted. Got them all removed on the same day by a navy dentist whose last name was Hammer. They used nothing but novicane and big plastic blocks to keep my mouth open. I think that was the end of my first week at le resort de Parris Island. Good times.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Yup....I remember that surgery quite well. Well....at least leading up to it and after it. I barely remember getting home that day, though. All 4 impacted and only the bottom 2 were protruding from the skin. The tops were still below the surface, so they had to be cut out. And I remember after a few days, I keept feeling something in the upper left socket and would constantly keep playing it with my tongue. Finally got aggitated enough and yanked it out.....bone fragment. Overall it wasn't a terrible experience....I've certainly had worse with root canals and such....but I'm definitlye glad I don't have to have it done again. Besides....pain killers don't like me. Have to take them with Phenergran (sp?) because they make me throw up.

And ice cream, soup, and smoothies became my friends.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I actually have an extra tooth. All my wisdom teeth came in, and when I had the x-ray to have my two removed, they noticed an extra tooth. It's above and behind my left lower wisdom tooth, completely impacted. It's coming through my gum just a little bit, but they said that since it's sitting right on top of the nerve (you can see it sitting on the nerve) to leave it alone unless it starts making trouble.

~SoCo

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.