JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

Attached if a schematic of wiring which I am planning for a 017 Willys U. I was wanting to ask for a few opinions on my plan,.... more specifically,

1. Do I really need a in-fuse between relay and power distribution block. In the distribution block there will be a fuse for each circuit.

2. 16 ga should be ok between switches and Relays??

3. I'm thinking I could also use 16 ga between relay and lights?

Thanks,

·
Registered
54 Posts
1. Do I really need a in-fuse between relay and power distribution block. In the distribution block there will be a fuse for each circuit.
No. the fuse in the distribution block will be enough
2. 16 ga should be ok between switches and Relays??
Yes
3. I'm thinking I could also use 16 ga between relay and lights?
16 ga is good for about 4 Amps, for the 10Amp spare circuit I would use 10 ga.

I would also consider an inline fuse between the switches and the power source.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

Is there any issue from tapping into a running light to power switches?

Could I run a fused wire straight from the battery to a separte switch and then from there daisy chain to all 5 switches for accessories?

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Is there any issue from tapping into a running light to power switches?

Could I run a fused wire straight from the battery to a separte switch and then from there daisy chain to all 5 switches for accessories?
There shouldn't be an issue, but I still recommend installing an inline fuse to protect the factory wiring if you go this way. since you are only using the switches to trigger the relays I would use a very low amperage fuse.
Here is what I did.

You can see in the lower right corner that the M9 fuse is powering a distribution block to power the switches which in turn power each relay individually.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/write-up-dept-library/58022-wiring-diagram.html
This is a good solution, but I have two concerns:
a) If you tap a fuse make sure you do it in the fused side of the circuit, I seen people taping to the unfused side with ugly consequences. To make sure you have the fused side pull the fuse out and use a test light or multimeter to both sides of the fuse connector, you want to tap on the side which shows no power.
b) When running 16 ga wire of a 30 amp fuse, chances are the wire jacket will melt before the fuse blows, since you do not require lots of power I would look for a circuit with a smaller fuse value.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Rereading the post you linked I see the 30 amp refers to the relay and not the fuse. Apologies.
No worries, you had my brain going back a few years and rethinking about what I did.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I put a 40amp in line before my fuse block for my relays. I used the lighter power for the power to the switches. 16 gauge from the switches to the relay box. pretty much what you have plus a fuse to protect the wire from the battery to the fuse block.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once I get my switches and daystar panel in, I would like to wire up the dash light part of the switch to the running/parking lights of the vehicle.

Could someone give me an idea which would be the easiest way to do that? do I bring a wire in from the engine area or is there a wire I can tap power from inside.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts