JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Did the light bar come with a wiring diagram?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just guessing here, but I'd imagine:

Red -> Power Source (+12V)
White -> Load (switch output)
Black -> Ground

Does your switch have a light or indicator in it?

Is the white thing on the left in your picture the switch?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the white plug goes to the switch. So there will be 2 red wires going to the pos and 2 black wires going to the neg. ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just guessing here, but I'd imagine:

Red -> Power Source (+12V)
White -> Load (switch output)
Black -> Ground

Does your switch have a light or indicator in it?

Is the white thing on the left in your picture the switch?
So ground and/or neg bat?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes the white plug goes to the switch. So there will be 2 red wires going to the pos and 2 black wires going to the neg. ?
So ground and/or neg bat?
The red wire from your switch should go to whatever power source you want to run the switch.

In other words, if you want to be able to turn your lights on only when the key is on, you would need to run that red wire to, for instance, the cigarette lighter (which is only hot when the key is on).

If you want to be able to turn your light(s) on with the key off, then you will need to connect the red wire from the switch directly to the battery.

The black wire will go to ground, or directly to the negative battery post.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New question. If I wanted my led lights to flash with the parking lights when I lock/unlock the vehicle what would I wire into?

·
Registered
103 Posts
You'd be wiring them directly into your park light circuit, rather than using the switch.

As a result, they would be on any time your park lights were on, not just when you lock or unlock the doors.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Could be dual powered, but that might also put a back feed into the system.
I wired my red led footwell lights to the power feeding the overhead interior light, and also ran a switch to something that was on with acc power. I don't recall which wire, but I got the info from JKO somewhere, probably. It worked for several months before the dome would randomly flicker and the illumunated switches would sometimes buzz (but not dependant on the flicker). Connections were still tight and soldered.
When Motech fixed some of the issues I had created, this was one of them.
I don't know and never did try to figure out why. The wires were tested for power under the the proper conditions.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Could be dual powered, but that might also put a back feed into the system.
I wired my red led footwell lights to the power feeding the overhead interior light, and also ran a switch to something that was on with acc power. I don't recall which wire, but I got the info from JKO somewhere, probably. It worked for several months before the dome would randomly flicker and the illumunated switches would sometimes buzz (but not dependant on the flicker). Connections were still tight and soldered.
When Motech fixed some of the issues I had created, this was one of them.
I don't know and never did try to figure out why. The wires were tested for power under the the proper conditions.
True, you could run diodes to squelch the backfeed and allow them to be powered either by the switch or by the park light circuit, but in this case tapping into the park lights will still lead to the lights being on whenever the park lights are lit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts