JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to wire up some HIDs to work with the stock switch and the stock lights.

I know I need to run them off a relay, what wires do i need to tap into to activate the relay with the stock fog light switch?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just bought a plug off the internet that match the H10 bulbs in the stock fogs. The stock fog wiring then powers the coil of the relay. I ran a ground lead directly to the battery and then to both lights, and ran the positive from the battery through a fuse to the relay contact, and then from the other contact to the positive lead on the lights. That way I did not have to cut or splice any of the stock wiring. I have not had any PWM issues or relay buzzing but others have. YMMV.

Bryan.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I am trying to wire up some HIDs to work with the stock switch and the stock lights.

I know I need to run them off a relay, what wires do i need to tap into to activate the relay with the stock fog light switch?
No need for a relay, at least I didn't need one. I just tapped into the OEM wiring and haven't looked back since. There's actually just 2 wires running into the OEM fog lights which match up with the HID positive/negative. Do a search for some of my posts and you'll see the mini-write-up I did.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yeah, it is worth trying to run your lights without the relay before going through the effort of building a relay harness. For example, the HIDX/Cragen/OReilly 7" lights did NOT work with the stock wiring, though a couple people have gotten the 4" HIDX lights (supposedly the same bulb and ballast) to work. I even tried to see if there was an inrush current issue caused by internal capacitors by warming up the lights directly off the battery, then moving them to the stock wiring. No change.

Bryan.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
let me clarify, I want to run the stock lights as well as my axillary Vision X HID Driving lights activated by a single stock switch.

Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just bought a plug off the internet that match the H10 bulbs in the stock fogs. The stock fog wiring then powers the coil of the relay. I ran a ground lead directly to the battery and then to both lights, and ran the positive from the battery through a fuse to the relay contact, and then from the other contact to the positive lead on the lights. That way I did not have to cut or splice any of the stock wiring. I have not had any PWM issues or relay buzzing but others have. YMMV.

Bryan.
Were did you get this harness to tap in?

Jim

·
Registered
453 Posts
I didn't buy a harness. I made one. I did not retain the factory fogs though. My HID lights replaced the factory fogs. It doesn't really change much though. Buy an H10 male plug (looks just like the back of the bulb) and an H10 female plug. Wire them up like an extension but with 2 wires going to each terminal of one of the connectors. Use the two extra leads to connect the coil of your relay in parallel to the fog light bulb so that it closes the contacts when the factory fog light is on. Then wire the relay contacts as usual with power coming straight from the battery (with a fuse of course) to the HID lights.

There is nothing new or groundbreaking going on here. I just hate cutting or tapping into factory wiring when cheap connectors off the internet and some soldering will do.

Bryan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts