JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, I apologize in advance if this is a dumb-ass question...

I'm about to wire my Smitty XRC10 Comp and plan to run it through my sPOD.

Do I simply run the winch to the solenoid and the solenoid to the sPod? Or am I missing something?

Based on the gauge of the winch cables and amp draw (2 gauge cabling too)

I don't want to over complicate things not fry my sPOD either. Oh or get stuck in the shyte either.

Soo... for the folks that run you winch through the sPOD what did you do?

Thanks in advance!!!

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
It is no diffrent than wiring your winch with any additional remote. Myself I would not waste the 2 switch spaces on the SPOD for the winch control (in and out) and would get a stand alone control from like 12volt guy.
but anyway.
Wire the winch NORMALLY ay first, then wire your SPOD in.
there are 3 wires (sometimes 4) that go to the factory winch controller, 1 hot and then this one is switced in the hand held controller to turn on the in and out solenoid.

Find where the connection on your solenoid box is for these control wires and test what one causes IN and what one causes OUT by touching a live wire to them.

now that you know what ones do what, connect the power out from your SPOD (or whatever) to that same terminal. When power is applied it switches that soleniod and winch moves. It does not matter what trips the solenoid, the handheld, the SPOD or just a wire connected to the battery.

just don't control from the dash AND the hand held controller at the same time. one or the other.

OK guys, I apologize in advance if this is a dumb-ass question...

I'm about to wire my Smitty XRC10 Comp and plan to run it through my sPOD.

Do I simply run the winch to the solenoid and the solenoid to the sPod? Or am I missing something?

Based on the gauge of the winch cables and amp draw (2 gauge cabling too)

I don't want to over complicate things not fry my sPOD either. Oh or get stuck in the shyte either.

Soo... for the folks that run you winch through the sPOD what did you do?

Thanks in advance!!!

Steve

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Doc has it all right. If tthe XRC10 id the same as my XRC8, pop the solenoid cover off and you'll see 3 wires going to the remote plug. Two will be the same color (these are the in and out wires) and one will be different, which is your positive wire. Essentially wire your switch with the positive connecting to one for in, and the positive connecting to the other for out. Obviously they should only be connected when you flip the switch, and you'll want a switch that can only be flipped one way or the other, so you can't have in and out powered at the same time.

OTTATTW.com has a great selection of switches that match the sPOD switches, including one that rocks both ways and is perfect for a winch control.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys!

My goal is to make the winch circuit hot when needed for use. I'd still plan to use the remote as intended and do not want to control from within the Jeep. I wouldn't want the switch to control the movement of the winch; too dangerous and runs risk of a nosey passenger flipping switches.

Objective: Keep the circuit open/dead until needed for use.

Example:

- Want to use the winch, flip the panel switch on
- connect the controller and operate as normal
- if the panel switch is not flipped, the winch is dead (no flippy, no winchy)

Thanks!
S

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Yep, I have a main switch to toggle on mine in order to make the winch buttons work. Its definitely do-able, you just need to set it up however you want it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys. I'll let you know how it works out!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
you should call or email them first. I thought I heard somewhere that the SPOD didn't like the winch being run through it due to power draw.

Or I could be misremembering something.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Ditto on the 12Volt guy panel. he made me one for the warn power plant. it was awesome.

It is no diffrent than wiring your winch with any additional remote. Myself I would not waste the 2 switch spaces on the SPOD for the winch control (in and out) and would get a stand alone control from like 12volt guy.
but anyway.
Wire the winch NORMALLY ay first, then wire your SPOD in.
there are 3 wires (sometimes 4) that go to the factory winch controller, 1 hot and then this one is switced in the hand held controller to turn on the in and out solenoid.

Find where the connection on your solenoid box is for these control wires and test what one causes IN and what one causes OUT by touching a live wire to them.

now that you know what ones do what, connect the power out from your SPOD (or whatever) to that same terminal. When power is applied it switches that soleniod and winch moves. It does not matter what trips the solenoid, the handheld, the SPOD or just a wire connected to the battery.

just don't control from the dash AND the hand held controller at the same time. one or the other.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I ran my dual arb compressor to my spod, but a winch It might be too much load?

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
I ran my dual arb compressor to my spod, but a winch It might be too much load?
Considering that a JK sized winch will draw from 300 to 450 amps and the main circuit breaker on the sPod is only 50 amps, yeah, a winch might be too much load.

The power leads for a winch should always go directly to the battery. The control solenoid (or contactor) is another story. If the light duty switch in the hand control will stand up to that load, then the sPod should have no trouble either -- it uses 40 amp relays.

The winch solenoid works like a relay on steroids (or Hulk juice) to switch that 300 - 450 amp load; the hand control switch and/or the sPod is just switching on the solenoid/contactor, so it carries very little current. If you just wanted to be really really confident, you could open up the hand control to your winch and compare the load ratings of that switch to the sPod, but the manufacturer may also use a grossly overrated switch. The surest way is to measure the load on the control while winching.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think what is being asked is how to cut all power to the winch unless the sPOD switch is flipped. If that is indeed what is being asked, then you can use a PAC-500 solenoid battery isolator between the battery and the winch. Use the sPOD output to energize the coil on the PAC-500. So, basically you are using the smaller relay inside the sPOD to control the much larger PAC-500 "relay" to the winch. The PAC-500 is rated to handle 500 amps continuously and 750 amps intermediately.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts