JKOwners Forum banner

Would you be interested in this wireless winch kit?

• Yes! I need one yesterday.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No, I love unwrapping my cord and running over it ;)

Votes: 1 33.3%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a Wireless winch controller. It has 2 buttons that are momentary on (press to activate, release to stop) for paying in and out of your winch. It has 2 more buttons that are on/off (press once for on, press again for off) that you can use for an air compressor, lights, anything with a switch basically.

The wiring is easy enough to do (I have now installed it on 3 winches a Superwinch 8500 and 2 X Champions) all you need is a power source for the receiver (I spliced into my CB) and the cabling to run to the solenoids of the winch. It is an insulated 3 wire cable included in the "kit" I am selling. The wireless fob has been tested up to 100' and works awesome. The Fob also has an on off switch, so you dont accidentally activate it.

The receiver box can be mounted really anywhere you want. I was able to remove the cover of it, wrap it in electrical tape and mount in the spot at the side of the dash beside the right vent. If you wanted to keep the cover on you could also throw it on the plastic piece under the glove box. (it is handy there because you can remove the inline fuse to ensure no random signal set it off at the mall or where ever ;)) I dont think range would be affected much there and you can always add a small wire to route the antenna whereever you wanted.

The winch companies sell these, yes. They dont have the two extra buttons though for aux equip and most dont allow you to use your wired controller after install, mine does.
No soldering involved (unless you want to) and it can be installed in less than an hour.
I have yet to find a "brand name" one for under $140, my full kit will be $100 and to the States that includes shipping.

Full instructions with pictures will be included. Not to mention I would be available to help anyone. All I would need is a picture of your solenoids.

The only thing you need to do is confirm if your controller connector is able to be jumpered to make your winch work. If so, then my kit will work with it. As far as I can tell most of the cheaper "made in China" winches are controlled like this. I do not know about Warns yet. And there isnt a Powerplant for me to test on either.(I would love to see it control the compressor on there too!)

So what do you guys think? Be honest please.

Here are some vids of it in action up close:
Vid 1
Vid 2

thanks

And if this pisses off the vendors and mods please delete it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Pretty cool idea there. I can make my own, but right now I'm trying to figure out the warn powerplant remote so I can do a wired in cab switch setup for winch and air. That damn remote is one strange config.

What freq. modules are you using? Reason I'm asking is that I did a remote garage opener for my bike a while back using 434MHz modules.
I have the power for the tx wired through the hibeam switch so when I flip the hibeam on for a sec and the door opens or closes. I came home one day and found the garage door open:eek:
I did use a encoder/decoder chip pair and thought I was safe from "other signals", but apparently not. I now only power the rx when I'm not to far from home and not at all at night.
I may go to a more aggressive enc/dec pair and go to 2.4GHz modules.

Again, great product, hope you do well with it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty cool idea there. I can make my own, but right now I'm trying to figure out the warn powerplant remote so I can do a wired in cab switch setup for winch and air. That damn remote is one strange config.

What freq. modules are you using? Reason I'm asking is that I did a remote garage opener for my bike a while back using 434MHz modules.
I have the power for the tx wired through the hibeam switch so when I flip the hibeam on for a sec and the door opens or closes. I came home one day and found the garage door open:eek:
I did use a encoder/decoder chip pair and thought I was safe from "other signals", but apparently not. I now only power the rx when I'm not to far from home and not at all at night.
I may go to a more aggressive enc/dec pair and go to 2.4GHz modules.

Again, great product, hope you do well with it.
I dont know what freq the boxes are operating at. I do plan on hooking one up to a Spectrum Analyzer, just have to find time at work to do it.

Looking inside the box, I cant see anywhere where there would be a spot to change the operating freqs. I have done 3 now and none are on the same frequency (knock on wood ;))

I should look and see if there is decoder chip onboard, that would be really nice. The last thing I would want was if I sold a bunch of these and they started setting each other off. Ouch. There is an inline fuse with my kit so if people are really paranoid they can disconnect that for DD use.

It should also be noted that these arent necessarily for winch use per say, the 2 momentary switches just make it really slick for a winch for safety reasons.

I will also be working getting it on a Warn PP. I just dont have access to one around here so it is hard to measure continuity on the controller to figure out how to wire up my FOB.

I will keep you guys posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts