JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled my synthetic line off the winch today to clean it and do some repairs to it. After I got it all nice and shiny new looking, I started thinking about which line fairs better in freezing temps, salt laden roads, and frequent pulls in harsh environments.

I went ahead and put the wire rope back on. I figured wire holds up better with pulls in a freezing temps. Plus it's cheaper to replace if it gets fucked up. I'll put the Amsteel back on in the spring.

What are your opinions? It's already on and I'm not going to take it off, but I'm curious if anyone switches lines for the season or if anyone thinks it makes a difference.

Misspelled and sent from my iPad 5 using Tapatalk HD

· Premium Member
2,154 Posts
interested in this, i cant imagine salt being any good for a synth line. I have a cover over my winch so maybe that will help a little bit...

· Registered
11,420 Posts
IMO it's used in all sorts of conditions on marine applications. High UV, saltwater, wet/dry cycles, etc...it's pretty durable stuff. I'd probably do a half ass cover on it for the winter, to keep it somewhat protected and call it good. I hate HATE using steel.

Sent via paper airplane

· Owner: TWF
316 Posts
Back in my winching days I used rope 98% of the time in the winter vs summer. I'd take rope over wire any day/time of the year. I can't think of one thing I like about cable. It's a 100% must to wear gloves with cable, should you have problems the rebound from the wire is going to do 10x the damage. It's 5x the weight. I run a cusom splice winch rope and love it.

Everyone has their own love but rope is a must for me. I ran a cover on my warn winch. It kept snow from getting kicked up on it. I would want to do that be it metal or rope to keep all the junk from the road off of it in the winter

· Registered
64 Posts
Not worried about the ability if rope to withstand the elements, but keep in mind if you drive in a bunch of slush... and then need to use your winch... good luck getting it off the spool. It'll freeze together and you'll need some serious muscle to get it out.

I'd get a cover if you're likely to use it in the winter. (I need to!)

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

· Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back in my winching days I used rope 98% of the time in the winter vs summer. I'd take rope over wire any day/time of the year. I can't think of one thing I like about cable. It's a 100% must to wear gloves with cable, should you have problems the rebound from the wire is going to do 10x the damage. It's 5x the weight. I run a cusom splice winch rope and love it.

Everyone has their own love but rope is a must for me. I ran a cover on my warn winch. It kept snow from getting kicked up on it. I would want to do that be it metal or rope to keep all the junk from the road off of it in the winter
x2 on Custom Splice. I I'm heading over to Todd's so he can fix my synthetic line this week.

I normally do keep my winch covered, but it was so UV damaged it wasn't much of a cover anymore. I pulled it off and it's amazing how much fade you can get in three months.

Sent & misspelled from my MB860 using predictive text & Tapatalk 2.

· Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not worried about the ability if rope to withstand the elements, but keep in mind if you drive in a bunch of slush... and then need to use your winch... good luck getting it off the spool. It'll freeze together and you'll need some serious muscle to get it out.

I'd get a cover if you're likely to use it in the winter. (I need to!)

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2
I do remember that from last winter. Frozen synthetic line SUCKS.

Sent & misspelled from my MB860 using predictive text & Tapatalk 2.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.