JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thinking on painting the part where the windshild wipers are located in. Im asumming it would be called the cowl and the two pieces left and right of it. The question is does the middle section come out fairly easy ? Do the end pieces also come off or are the tack welded to the fenders? Its raining here and do not feel like going out there to chk. would like to remove them to make the painting easier.Im thinking about rustoleam bedliner like I used on the grill,any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
11,063 Posts
Yes, no, yes.

The ends of the cowl are part of the fender. Be sure to post pics when you're done.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, its called the cowl. no it doesnot come off easily ? yes, u think i should bedline it :beer:easy to do the ends but hoping the middle section came out easily thanks for the reply

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just took a look ,Im thinking the 4 torx on the top that connect to the end caps then 4 bolts underneath that hold the brackets and a couple of christmas tree pushins in the middle ? is there any tricks to removing the wiper arms off? Am I missing anything else besides some nice weather and motivation?:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Use a pair of channel locks on the back of the wiper and then put the other side on the top of the stud they come right off. The side pieces are welded and wont come off.

The middle piece comes off with the four t30 torx screws and 4 plastic push rivet things.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
The Cowl Ends

The cowl ends can be removed by drilling out the tack welds !!!

It can be replaced with a small self tapping screw !!!

Remove the windshield wipers from the wiper cowl panel.

Remove the wiper cowl panel to expose the fender bolts.

Fold back the side cowl panel, as if it were hinged on the spot weld seam, to
expose the spot welds. Drill out the spot welds on the side cowl panel to
fender seam using a 1/4” drill bit. Remove the side cowl panel from the
vehicle. (Fig. B)
NOTE: Once removed, clamp the cowl panel to a work surface and bend the
panel back to it’s original shape. Save for reinstallation.

Read the first few steps of this
HTML:
 http://www.smittybilt.com/docs/installation/76880.pdf

Have fun !!!!

:beer: :beer: :beer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts