JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I might pull the trigger tonight on some lights. I'm looking at KC Apollo's but my question has more to do with the beam type. I've done some research but since I may buy today, I thought I would seek some advice.

My thought is to get some 5" lights for windshield mount units and once I choose my bumper, then pick a pair of 6" lights to mount on that. Whether my new bumper has holes available for the factory fogs or not will dictate what type I buy for the bumper but at the very least, I will have one set fog lights.

My JK is white so hood glare is a concern but there really isn't another mounting location that I like as much as the windshield brackets. Would driving lights present more of a glare problem than long range?

I've seen the beam pattern comparison charts but I have NO real world experience. I would just go for the long range and be done but I'm not doing any high speed offroading and I don't know if the beam would be so focused that it would be less useful for me than a set of driving lights? And conversely, I don't know if driving lights would generate a lot more hood glare than long range light, which would be very counter-productive.

I live near Pittsburgh so it's all woods and tight trails. Not too many 300 yd straight stretches where I would need to see waaay out in front of me.

Any advice?

· Registered
3,092 Posts
Hood glare will mainly depend on the type of light you put up there and and how you have them aimed. I have Dually Floods on my A-pillar and don't get a lot of glare mostly due to how I have them aimed.

Not sure if you're on a budget or not, but these lights put a stupid amount of light. KMD Garage 4" HID

My buddy has the HIDx version of these lights on his Raptor and they're pretty darn nice.

· Registered
374 Posts
You want long range lights. I have KC Slim lights and they are great. I have no issues with glare

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Everyone.

I think long range may be my best bet too. And for sure, the positioning/aiming of the light will be important but that will be true regardless of the beam pattern i choose. But, I have this awful vision in my head that long range beams will provide 2 ft circles of very bright light with pure darkness surrounding those lighted circles but I doubt that is the case. LOL this goes back to my "NO experience" comment.

Regarding the other light suggestions, the KMD's are a fair bit larger than the 5" Apollo's and I want to limit the size for this mounting location. I did look at Dually's, D2's, etc... But I like the old halogens. While I'm getting old myself, I don't always go "old school". However for these lights, that's my style preference and inside my brain, nothing in off-road lighting says old school like round KC halogen lights.

My original post had more to do with the beam styles vs. my needs for this region vs. hood glare. Not really one brand or model vs. another. I would still like to hear opinions from others regarding these variables so please keep the good info rolling!

· Registered
2,585 Posts
A couple years ago I had D2s windshield mounted and the glare was horrible. I am now running a 50" combo bar above the windshield and glare is minimal.

Driving/spots are good for mounting on the windshield or up top because hood glare is minimized and they are high enough to get a really good light pattern down-range. Floods are excellent for bumper mounting because the fill in all of the shadows and voids in front of the Jeep, without any glare.

· Registered
92 Posts
I like the idea of spots on the windshield mount and a fog/driving on the bumper. I'll also throw out something else to think about. I've driven 2 JKs with windshield mounted lights. One had a light similar to what you're talking about and the other had a smaller square light, Rigid Duallys I believe. The larger round lights were an annoyance driving on mountain roads. They slightly blocked visability when rounding corners. From the driver seat you can't even see the small square lights, so there was no visability interference. Just throwing it out there.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I misread the info that made me to decide to buy today I have more time so that's good.

Ideally, a pair of spots on the windshield, a pair of fogs and a pair of driving lights on the bumper would be a great setup I think. But, the only way I would do that is if my new bumper of choice has holes for recessed fogs. I don't want any more than one pair of lights surface mounted to the bumper. If it doesn't have those holes, fogs will be the pair on the bumper.

I was buying today but since I don't need to buy today, I may wait until the bumper is picked before deciding.... Or maybe not! Maybe i will gamble a bit. LOL.

Maybe I will try a different question. Assuming I have stock headlights and a pair of 6" fogs surface mounted up front, would I want drivers or long-range lights up on the windshield?

I'm not too concerned about blocking line of sight. The 5" Apollo is actually a bit smaller than 5" so they are small. And I'm 6'2" and sit upright in vehicles so my eyes' line of sight is pretty high.

I appreciate all the help!

· RIP Brad
3,760 Posts
Little wrench in the monkey.....

If you are wheeling, you are likely going slow. The pencil beams will shine far beyond what you'll be interested in seeing. I would get a nice set of floods with a wide beam pattern for wheeling.

Glare will be an issue if you mount near the hood. I'd suggest sticking to the bumper or at at the top of the windshield.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Functionally, my opinion is that none of these lights should go on the windshield. But I only want 2 up front and don't want any over the windshield for height clearance reasons (both on trails and in my garage). Plus I'm not a fan of that look anyway. I'm considering form and function.

Some of my delimma would be solved by getting a bumper that has cut outs for fogs. But damn that Shrockworks Stubby is down right tempting!

· Registered
254 Posts
I hate A-pillar mounted lights for the reason that they ruin my night vision with all that glare off the hood. The glare is even worse if you're night-wheeling and you have a buildup of dust, instead of a nice clean glossy finish that at least reflects most of the light forward - a dusty hood just glares right back at you.

With that said, I have A-pillar mounted lights. :thefinger: I have Rigid SRM2's with the diffused light pattern. However, I have the lights aimed 45° to the side to illuminate the sides of the trail to help spot trail obstacles as well as find turnoffs and campsites when it's dark, and they put no light onto the hood. My forward-shining lights are mounted on my bumper where they don't blind me with glare.

· Registered
1,060 Posts
Little wrench in the monkey.....

If you are wheeling, you are likely going slow. The pencil beams will shine far beyond what you'll be interested in seeing. I would get a nice set of floods with a wide beam pattern for wheeling.

Glare will be an issue if you mount near the hood. I'd suggest sticking to the bumper or at at the top of the windshield.
Agree, but as for glare see below.

I hate A-pillar mounted lights for the reason that they ruin my night vision with all that glare off the hood. The glare is even worse if you're night-wheeling and you have a buildup of dust, instead of a nice clean glossy finish that at least reflects most of the light forward - a dusty hood just glares right back at you.

With that said, I have A-pillar mounted lights. :thefinger: I have Rigid SRM2's with the diffused light pattern. However, I have the lights aimed 45° to the side to illuminate the sides of the trail to help spot trail obstacles as well as find turnoffs and campsites when it's dark, and they put no light onto the hood. My forward-shining lights are mounted on my bumper where they don't blind me with glare.
Exactly how I am setting up. I have 6" kc lights on the front brush guard at about headlight height which are long range, and work with high beams.
I am mounting pillars and just going with a cheap set of flood lights for trail use. Thought of having left and right control as well. I could have a right light on when on the highway to watch for deer and not blind oncoming drivers.

So in a quick answer do both but to spread the light around. I also want rock lights! Lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.