JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:pissed: Can anyone help me in simple terms (kind of a wiring reject) on how to hook up the windshield lights?? I have been working on them for 2 days and can't get them to light up. They are Hella 500's with the Hella wiring harness:beer:

·
Registered
21 Posts
did you run a ground wire? I ran the wifes to a ground attachment point under the hood, I poked a hole thru the alum foil to mount the switch under the dash, That switch has ground wire also.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
what specificaly do you need help on.

Wire routing? You can go through the washer motor/vent cover to the engine bay. Then through the foam thats comes out behind the passenger side vent on the dash (ask me and I will give more detail) or somepeople run it through the ECU harness gasket through the firewall.

Wiring hookup? should just be a power and ground. But then there should also be a power for the relay. This power tshould go to a switchable source so that driving lights can ony turn on when your high beams are on and fog lights can only turn on when low beams are on. I personally don't like that restriction so I just wired the relay power to a switchabe power source that is only on when the ignition is on.

Anyway, let us know what specifically the issue is and we can give a more specific answer :beer:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just the hook up part of it, running the wires I can do quite well, in fact, there is only one point that you can see the wires. I am not too sure how to wire them up, I followed the directions to a T and yet it didnt work

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, let me try to remember this, wires are such a blur right now....
red (power) straight to battery
blue (ground), ground on body
yellow to switch
split wire to power on lights

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
If I am reading this correctly you are short a wire.

Sounds like you have the yellow wire going into the cab for the switch. Then there SHOULD be another wire from the switch to the high beams. But instead of the high beams use an empty space in the fuse box if you want to turn them on anytime.

That should be correct. but let me ask you this first. Other then the Yellow wire going to the switch where do you have the other wire going?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Okay, here is how my lights are wired -

Red fused wire from battery to relay
Heavy gauge green wire from battery to switch
Yellow wire from switch (center post) to relay
Light gauge green wire from switch to ground
Black split wire from relay to lights
Green wire from relay to ground
Blue wires from lights to ground

Wired this way I can turn the lights on anytime.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and He said "LET THERE BE LIGHT!!!!"

:beer::beer::beer:Thanks everyone for all of your help!! Sat down with a neighbour last nite and looked at the instructions (which BTW have TWO different diagrams WTF?!?!?!?!?) and rewired the switch and WOW are they ever bright!! THanks again everyone, Jeep owners are REALLY a family type community:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts