JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey got the rugged ridge windshield light mounts and a pair of black magics. I need some pointers of where to run the wires at the windshield. I have looked and don't really see a clean place to run them. Any suggestions?? Oh and thanks for any help in advance!:beer::beer:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yep, under the cowl. Be sure to not pinch the wires and use any protective sleeving if they give you some.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok Thanks, Just got home from hell (work). I didn't even think about going under the cowl. That will be much better way to do it. Thanks:beer::beer::beer: It all came with a split loom and relays so shouldn't take long to finish up.:D:D

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just went and tried them out,,,lots better,,,,lots better:grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp:don't know if it is legal using 100 watt bulbs but what the hell,,, bright enough to see the deer and more:beer::beer:

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By the way, while we are on the topic of windshield light mounts. Anyone ever been stopped by a cop because of them covering up the registration and inspection stickers????

·
Registered
962 Posts
Nope, no inspection required here.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
law question

Is it legal to run the a pillar mounted lights on the road in lieu of the factory fog lights? My night vision is terrable and the factory lighting is about as powerful as the minivan engine under the hood:grinpimp:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Is it legal to run the a pillar mounted lights on the road in lieu of the factory fog lights? My night vision is terrable and the factory lighting is about as powerful as the minivan engine under the hood:grinpimp:
Probably not, but it really depends on your state motor vehicle laws. You probably shouldn't even be running fog lamps unless the weather is bad (fog, rain, etc.). I did the E-code lamp housing upgrade and have no trouble seeing at night.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FYI Got stopped on the way to work last night! DPS hiding on the side of the road got me. I was not speeding but he said I had to many light on!! Didn't know that was a law. I had the fogs, and low beam, and the new hella's on. I seen him way down the road but what the hell I figured he already seen me so we will see what happens. So guess here in texas, the law states that you can not have more than four driving lights on. :shaking: He didn't say anything about hiding the stickers behind the lights so guess that is fine. Either way I got a worning and then went on to hell (work). :thefinger:

·
Registered
651 Posts
in IL ..we are suppose to be limited to 4 lights on at one time... as in fogs and headlights only.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Oklahoma law on the subject...

A. At all times specified in subsection B of Section 12-201 of this title, at least two lighted headlamps shall be displayed, one on each side at the front of every motor vehicle, except when such vehicle is parked subject to the regulations governing lights on parked vehicles, as provided in Section 12-214 of this title.

B. Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with headlamps as herein required is also equipped with any auxiliary driving lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front thereof projecting a beam of intensity greater than three hundred (300) candlepower, not more than a total of four of any such lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any one time when upon a highway.

C. The driver of any vehicle shall comply with the provisions of Section 12-217 of this title regarding the use of alternate headlamp equipment.

A. The United States Department of Transportation specifications and standards for headlamps, auxiliary driving lamps, tail lamps, signal lamps, reflectors, and other lighting equipment and signal devices, pursuant to 49 C.F.R., Section 571.108, are hereby adopted by the State of Oklahoma.

B. Except as otherwise provided in this chapter and subject to exceptions for parked vehicles, every vehicle upon a highway within this state shall properly display all lamps and illuminating devices as required by law:

1. At any time from one-half (1/2) hour after sunset to one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise, also referred to in this chapter as nighttime; and

2. At any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of one thousand (1,000) feet or less.

C. All lamps required by this chapter shall display a steady light except as otherwise prescribed by this chapter. Any required individual lamp may be combined or incorporated with any other required individual lamp if the combined or incorporated lamps meet all of the individual lighting requirements of this chapter for each individual lamp contained therein.

D. No lamp, other than a headlamp, displayed on any vehicle shall project a glaring light; provided, every headlamp shall comply with Section 12-222 of this title.

A. As used in this article:

1. "Auxiliary driving lamp" means a lamp mounted to provide illumination to the front of a motor vehicle;

2. "Daytime running lamp" means a lamp mounted to provide illumination to the front of a motor vehicle that will assist to identify its presence to other vehicles and pedestrians at times other than those specified in subsection B of Section 12-201 of this title;

3. "Front fog lamp" means a lamp mounted to provide illumination to the front of a motor vehicle during conditions of rain, snow, fog, dust, or other atmospheric disturbances;

4. "Rear fog lamp" means a lamp mounted to provide illumination to the rear of a motor vehicle during conditions of rain, snow, fog, dust, or other atmospheric disturbances;

5. "Off-road lamp" means any lamp designed and manufactured solely for off-road use; and

6. "Spot lamp" means a movable lamp which emits a brilliant light with a focused beam for examining objects, street address numbers, and other things alongside the road.

B. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two spot lamps which shall not be used in substitution of headlamps.

C. The operator of any motor vehicle:

1. Which has in use a spot lamp shall, upon the approach of another vehicle from any direction within one thousand (1,000) feet, immediately turn said spot lamp off;

2. Shall not use or turn on a spot lamp when approaching or following another motor vehicle within one thousand (1,000) feet; and

3. Shall not use or turn on a spot lamp to cause a vehicle to yield right-of-way or stop.

The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to operators of authorized emergency vehicles.

D. 1. A motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two front fog lamps or two rear fog lamps which shall only be used when visibility, as described in paragraphs 3 and 4 of subsection A of this section, is limited to one-half (1/2) mile or less.

2. Front fog lamps shall be mounted on the same level on opposite sides of the front of the vehicle at or below the level of the headlamps. Front fog lamps may be used with lower beam headlamps or switch controlled in conjunction with the headlamps and may be used, at the discretion of the driver, with either low or high beam headlamps. Front fog lamps shall not be used in substitution of headlamps, when headlamps are required.

E. A motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted at a height of more than forty-two (42) inches from the ground. The auxiliary driving lamps may be used with lower beam headlamps or switch controlled in conjunction with the headlamps and may be used, at the discretion of the driver, with either low or high beam headlamps.

F. Every fog lamp or auxiliary driving lamp used upon a motor vehicle shall be so adjusted and aimed that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam shall, at a distance of twenty-five (25) feet, rise above the horizontal plane passing through the center of the lamp.

G. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be equipped with off-road lamps for use as headlamps while the vehicle is operated or driven off of a highway. The lamps shall be:

1. Mounted at a height of not less than forty-two (42) inches from the ground;

2. Wired independently of all other lighting; and

3. Turned off whenever the vehicle is operated or driven upon a highway.

H. 1. A motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two daytime running lamps which conform to 49 C.F.R., Section 571.108, S5.5.11.

2. Daytime running lamps shall not be used in substitution of headlamps.

3. Daytime running lamps shall be mounted on the front of a motor vehicle and shall be wired to be:

a. automatically activated when the vehicle is started, and

b. automatically deactivated when the headlamp control is in any "on" position.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Great feedback, Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts