JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,179 Posts
yup. I was pullin a side by side over this past weekend and my winch wouldn't initially spool ( it was dark and I plugged into solenoid upside down 5 times , derp)but during the quick troubleshooting ,three guys were blown away that I had no fuse inline in its hookup and I explained the same thing.
You COULD I suppose , wire one in but it is not necessary with newer winches .:jeep2:

·
Super Moderator
6,179 Posts
What would constitute "newer" winch? I have no clue what year my Ramsey is from.
I honestly have never heard of any winch requiring a fuse but you could...it'd take some kinda hefty fuse, maybe from a transformer or something...do they make 150-300 amp draw slow blowing fuses for something like a winch?
I would get teh manufacturer's install doc from Ramsey if you have questions . I have not seen anyone with a fuse on their winch in a Jeep but I am not saying it isnt or cannot be done, tho.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just curios .I have always ran a fuse or a resetable circuit breaker on my stereo systems .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
645 Posts
I was just curios .I have always ran a fuse or a resetable circuit breaker on my stereo systems .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
There was a huge blow up on another forum (those whom we shall not speak the name) about this issue.

The way I see it, stereos are designed with external fuses/circuit breakers and winches from the manufacture are designed to be wired directly to the battery.

Like 99% of the planet, I have been running electric winches directly to the battery since I knew what a winch was. One caveat, I have never run an off brand winch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
With the draw of a fully loaded winch it's not feasible. It would be like installing a fuse on your starter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts