JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I keep eyeballing all these cool new bumpers - and if I do it I may as well go on and slap a winch on there.

I've never had a winch on anything before so tell me something... can anyone just walk up and turn the winch on ? Or is there some power switch inside that disables it?

I ask because - well I'm paranoid. Couldn't some kid trying to be funny just run out your winch and tie it to a light pole across a parking lot and then use it to pull your car through 10 or 12 other cars in the lot?

I'm just sayin' - it could happen!

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
The winch is normally only controlled from the outside with a remote. Without the remote they shouldn't be able to controll it. However, there is normally no cab shutoff. From the outside the connection to your battery is exposed as well as the clutch which could be freespooled out.

It is very easy to add a incab switch though. I have even seen kits that you can buy premade to allow you to cut the power to the winch via a in cab switch.

That does nto prevent them from freespooling out your winchline. In addition, winches are only held on with 4 bolts which are usually accesable.

A winch is vulnerable. I have never had problems with one though

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
there is a remote control to operate it- some are wired remotes, some are wireless. But even the wired remotes are disconnected when not in use. So no, you don't have that to worry about.

However. There is a lever to "free spool" it. This is for pulling the cable out to hook up. Anyone can walk up, switch it to free spool, and wind your cable out.

I've always thought it would be a really mean trick to spool out a bunch of cable, hook it to a parked car, then switch it back. When the driver of either vehicle then backed out of their space- OUCH!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd have to padlock mine or something.

Man I can just imagine walking out of some place at night... getting into the jeep and taking off. Then 20 feet away have the winch cable snap tight and rip the jeep apart and send me into the windshield :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LMAO @ the visual, great, never even thought about that. One more thing to be paraniod about!!

Ahhhh you guys have no idea the things that go through my head. I'm always seeing the most far-fetched things that COULD happen.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Best way to ensure it'll never get messed with- I did this with my old truck that I parked publicly in Phoenix (huge city for car theft/vandalism) every day- put an unrolled condom on it. It sounds nasty, but it works for that very reason. It's cheap, effective (never had a problem with my nice, shiny winch getting touched/stolen), and entertaining :) Mark W.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Best way to ensure it'll never get messed with- I did this with my old truck that I parked publicly in Phoenix (huge city for car theft/vandalism) every day- put an unrolled condom on it. It sounds nasty, but it works for that very reason. It's cheap, effective (never had a problem with my nice, shiny winch getting touched/stolen), and entertaining :) Mark W.
Now THAT'S protection at an affordable price.:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

GENIUS! Pure Genius! But the folks around here would probably just steal the condom too.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Hah! Where are you located?
By the way, a little mayonaise inside, and glue on the outside (stuck it to the hook) kept my stuff nice and un-stolen- Mark W.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hah! Where are you located?
By the way, a little mayonaise inside, and glue on the outside (stuck it to the hook) kept my stuff nice and un-stolen- Mark W.
I'm in Little Rock, Arkansas. Nobody would probably ever mess with it. But man I'd be worred about it.

As for people stealing the winch - doesn't anyone make something like wheel locks to bolt them on with? Seems like that would be the deal.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This all seems to be good info for me, being that I have never considered these types of mods on my DD before. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
155 Posts
So I keep eyeballing all these cool new bumpers - and if I do it I may as well go on and slap a winch on there.

I've never had a winch on anything before so tell me something... can anyone just walk up and turn the winch on ? Or is there some power switch inside that disables it?

I ask because - well I'm paranoid. Couldn't some kid trying to be funny just run out your winch and tie it to a light pole across a parking lot and then use it to pull your car through 10 or 12 other cars in the lot?

I'm just sayin' - it could happen!
when i got mine i thought the same thing but someone hooking it on my trans or axle (sorry i live in the Chicago area being paranoid is a must:smokin:) this is what i did under the hood cut-off switch with key $7

·
Registered
398 Posts
On my LP 8500 Superwinch (the cheap one) I can take the clutch lever off with an allen key. I dont but it is something I could do very easily and stop people from unspooling manually.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts