JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever used the Smittybilt 2804 winch mount? Going to use my factory bumper for now and order the LOD midwith down the road.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I tried to buy one a couple weeks back. I called 4WD Hardware and they were claiming they MIGHT have one in stock in 4-6 weeks.

They also raised the price by $50 over what was listed in the catalog.

I ended up with a Rough Country plate. It was more money,but IMO looks nicer than the Smittybilt.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to buy one a couple weeks back. I called 4WD Hardware and they were claiming they MIGHT have one in stock in 4-6 weeks.

They also raised the price by $50 over what was listed in the catalog.

I ended up with a Rough Country plate. It was more money,but IMO looks nicer than the Smittybilt.
Did you get the one with the D-rings?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Spend the money on a bumper now....
This isn't bad advice. If you are going to spend over $200 on a winch mount for the stock bumper, why not spend the $200+/- more for a bumper and get it over with.

I luckily got a universal mount for free, so I can save for the bumper I want to get later. (granted you have to do some bumper cutting..) But I wasn't willing to spend 2/3 to 1/2 the price of a bumper just for a winch mount.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree $40 bucks for a winch plate = Installed !
Sack-up and cut the OEM (POS) bumper!!:thefinger:
Now that your are the expert on cutting the bumper, you can install it for me. No beer until the bumper is cut!:beer::grinpimp:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was a nervous wreck cutting up my own stuff. Worst case, OEM bumpers are almost free, if we mess it up too bad. But, I would LOVE to help you cut your bumper up !:bounce::beer::bounce::beer:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Clam,

I got it from a 4 wheel parts wholesale place here in town for $10. We had to clean it up and spray a little paint on it though. I believe these old steel cable guides came standard with winches (back in the day). The roller fairlead was an option. I dont think they are as good as the roller fairlead when using cable, but worked better for my application. I plan to re-spool with the synthetic in the near future anyways. Your setup looks good ! What winch mount plate did you go with ?:beer:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Clam,

I got it from a 4 wheel parts wholesale place here in town for $10. We had to clean it up and spray a little paint on it though. I believe these old steel cable guides came standard with winches (back in the day). The roller fairlead was an option. I dont think they are as good as the roller fairlead when using cable, but worked better for my application. I plan to re-spool with the synthetic in the near future anyways. Your setup looks good ! What winch mount plate did you go with ?:beer:
Thanks cbuck:beer:- so does yours and I may have to check that out. It looks much cleaner.

Not sure of the brand of the winch plate- I got it free from SONIC on here when he upgraded to a bumper. It's a standard universal plate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts