JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a question and maybe somebody out there can help me with it. I was trying to install my new syn winch line tonight all was going well until I tried to re use the set screw on my warn winch. The damn thing is to short to go all the way thru the thicker metal end cap on the syn line. I know there must be an easy fix short of waiting until morning to buy a longer bolt. Can anybody help?:beer:

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Patience, just buy another bolt it doesn't need to be very tight either. Grinding the end of the brand new line due to not wanting to wait isn't the best idea.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Possibility

You could grind or file the clamp down or if the line thickness is hampering things you can tightly wrap tape around it. Obviously getting a new bolt is the best way. Or drill another piece of scrap metal as a temorary clamp... Christmas Eve tomorrow... might not be open...

I've devised clamps for a broken winch cable before ... It can be a bear...

Good luck :beer:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, but being a fellow jeeper you know how it is when you get new parts:D Another quick question the one that came out is only about a quarter inch long at most and has a rounded head with an allen head, do I need to find the same type?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys but I think your right I'll just put it on hold tonight and check at Lowe's tomorrow,

·
ADDICTION II build begins....
3,833 Posts
I've only had experience with a Smittybuilt Synthetic line that was packaged as part of A Smittybuilt XRC-8 Competition winch package (belongs to Mrs. "Demeeder's" Jeep). :) But it came with the right length screw/bolt.

I would say the same as everyone else and that is to wait until tomorrow and go get the right length one....never compromise a tool/winch that will be needed to save you down the line! :beer:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TXROCK thanks for the advice it just so happens that this one is a Smittybuilt line as well. It's metal endcap is a little thicker than the one that was on the steel cable. Hope I can find one local just don't want to have to order a little bolt and wait for days

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've only had experience with a Smittybuilt Synthetic line that was packaged as part of A Smittybuilt XRC-8 Competition winch package (belongs to Mrs. "Demeeder's" Jeep). :) But it came with the right length screw/bolt.

I would say the same as everyone else and that is to wait until tomorrow and go get the right length one....never compromise a tool/winch that will be needed to save you down the line! :beer:
If this is the small clamp part I think it is it reallys doesn't matter as long as it holds the line secure for winding... you should never winch beyond the last row ... always be sure that the rope passes over itself at least once so it will bite on itself ... especially if the load is straining the winch. As a rule I prefer to have at least 3 wraps over the last spool as a safety measure. Honestly... that little clamp is not intended to hold anything other than keeping the line in place for winding... so it doesn't spin on the drum.

You probably knew this already... Another little trick is you can wrap the end of the rope with electrical tape and wind the tape on the drum as a temprary keeper once the rope bites on itself is shouldn't go anywhere ... that doesn't work for cable though... I've done that when I broke my little clamp before... I would only do those things to get by temporarily though. More important to be safe ... mishandling a winch can get ppl hurt.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank's Mr. Rock I'll just do that tomorrow when I'm workin

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It really is:shaking:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts