JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered my Smittybilt SRC8 from 4WheelParts (can't beat $270 delivered) and I have a few questions for those who have installed a winch before.

1) I've seen some installs that do not have the big box (solenoid?) mounted on the bumper with the winch. Are they just different styles of winch or can you separate the box and mount it elsewhere like under the hood?

2) If you can do that, do I need to make up (or have made) longer cables and/or wiring? and.....

3) Is there anyway to attach this thing to the bumper that will prevent some jerk from undoing four bolts and walking off with it. We don't have a huge problem with that kind of thing around here but it was hard enough to get my wife to let me buy the first one.......

Anything else I need to know, please feel free to comment. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
David

I have three silenoids for XRC8 since the first one came incorrectly wired from Smittybilt.

There is a space between the battery box and the fuse box that is just large enough to fit the silenoid box. What you need to do is drill out the rivet's on both sides of the silenoid. Pull the plastic cover off.

Underneath there are 4 wires. Switch the two long wires that came with the box to the yellow and blue connectors. Replace the long wires with the shorter 24" cable.

Then reattach the box cover over the silenoid. I wrapped it in Duck tape as I didn't have the machine screws to fasten tightly. Keep forgetting to go to hardware store to get them.

That is pretty much all it takes. If you'd like I can pick up the wires on my way past the hardware store tonight and rig one of my silenoids for ya. It takes about an hour to do the whole thing which is the least of your issues.

If I remember correctly you need to take the bumper off in order to put the Winch on. I tried to do it the hard way and it took like 4 hours to get the rear bolts tight. I took the bumper off to sell it to you and left the winch on and it took maybe 20 minutes to take off all 4 bolts.

·
Registered
398 Posts
3) Is there anyway to attach this thing to the bumper that will prevent some jerk from undoing four bolts and walking off with it. We don't have a huge problem with that kind of thing around here but it was hard enough to get my wife to let me buy the first one.......
Another thing I have heard it guys using multiple types of bolts to put it on. Different heads and whatnot.....

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have three silenoids for XRC8 since the first one came incorrectly wired from Smittybilt

Try Milemarker. It is a rebadged Milemarker winch.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
mine is

I just got mine the other day and its not a re-badged Milemarker. Nope...

Its a re-badged T-Max :D
Or at least the cables say T-Max all over them. ;)
maybe it depends when you bought it then? Mine is mile marker rebadged.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
David

I have three silenoids for XRC8 since the first one came incorrectly wired from Smittybilt.

There is a space between the battery box and the fuse box that is just large enough to fit the silenoid box. What you need to do is drill out the rivet's on both sides of the silenoid. Pull the plastic cover off.

Underneath there are 4 wires. Switch the two long wires that came with the box to the yellow and blue connectors. Replace the long wires with the shorter 24" cable.

Then reattach the box cover over the silenoid. I wrapped it in Duck tape as I didn't have the machine screws to fasten tightly. Keep forgetting to go to hardware store to get them.

That is pretty much all it takes. If you'd like I can pick up the wires on my way past the hardware store tonight and rig one of my silenoids for ya. It takes about an hour to do the whole thing which is the least of your issues.

If I remember correctly you need to take the bumper off in order to put the Winch on. I tried to do it the hard way and it took like 4 hours to get the rear bolts tight. I took the bumper off to sell it to you and left the winch on and it took maybe 20 minutes to take off all 4 bolts.
I am not taking that bumper off again. Those OEM nuts are a PITA to remove and replace. My shoulders still hurt. Of course, I might change my tune once the winch arrives, but looking at it now it doesn't look that bad. :)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another thing I have heard it guys using multiple types of bolts to put it on. Different heads and whatnot.....
I think I'm going to look into some Grade 8s with an allen head. Your average dip**** criminal probably only has a socket set or a crescent wrench (I hope). :D

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
From what I've heard from some good folks in the know, grade 8 isn't a good choice. The reasoning behind it is that grade 5 bolts will stretch when overloaded. Grade 8 are harder yet more brittle and will tend to snap if overloaded. This is why winch manufacturers provide grade 5, not grade 8 for winch mounting bolts.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I've heard from some good folks in the know, grade 8 isn't a good choice. The reasoning behind it is that grade 5 bolts will stretch when overloaded. Grade 8 are harder yet more brittle and will tend to snap if overloaded. This is why winch manufacturers provide grade 5, not grade 8 for winch mounting bolts.
Good to know. That's why I'm on here........everybody is smarter than me. :D

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
another option is to tack solder on the nut Or tack a spot on the thread that is left that would work also. If you use a mig or weld a tack it will be there for a very long time. Solder would be softer but would prevent it from coming off.

In all honestly a thief would be sitting under your jeep for at least 1 hour unless they plan to take off the whole bumper so I wouldn't think it is an issue.

You would probablly run over them while they were working on getting the thing off.... (Thief under jeep and you jump in while in a hurry and start it up.....drive forward. Walla new bug smear to clear in the springtime.) At least your jeep is red:haha

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

NE Wrangling - Question for you... How many heavy wires are going to the winch off this solenoid? Two or three? Mine has three. I was thinking about doing the wire switch like you mentioned in the second step but I would need to get/fabricate a couple extra to make this work for me. Ugggh... :shaking:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I saw somewhere that they make a lock that locks your winch to the bumper. Search areound a little cause they are out there.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
you could always safety wire the bolts that hold it on. It would take someone a bit to get them off if you don't feel like putting a tack weld.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you could always safety wire the bolts that hold it on. It would take someone a bit to get them off if you don't feel like putting a tack weld.
I like this idea. I used to race bikes so I've got the equipment to do the safety wire. Thanks. :D

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My new winch is here! My new winch is here! I am somebody! :D .....Now if I can just figure out how to install it. Probably give it a try on Saturday and will also try to do a decent write-up so the Jeep challenged among us can benefit from my ineptitude. :homersimpson:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts