JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone run an electrical disconnect unit so they can isolate the electric supply to the winch from inside the Jeep. I have in the past used a Warn unit which is basically a winch solenoid, but I wonder if this reduces the power to the winch. Just wondering if there is anything else out there that can be used.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I used to use the Warn kits, but just leave the winch hot these days. Never had a problem with the Warn solenoids, but always figured it was just something else to go wrong.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have the Warn power interrupt kit. I'm sure it adds a tad of resistance, but it couldn't be anything notable. And it would be easy to bypass if anything ever went wrong with the solenoid.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
This brings up a question...

I just ordered a PowerPlant and it's being shipped as we speak. How should i wire it up so it's done right the first time? Does the new winch come complete with all the wiring to the battery?

·
Registered
441 Posts
All you need is the two leads and you can run them straight to the battery. It's not a problem to do it that way. I chose to put a power interrupter there for peace of mind. Here are some pictures of how I chose to route mine (click for the option to see the picture page and then click All Sizes to see the full size if you need to):

It got a little uglier when I put the power interrupter in:

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
Thanks for the pics tgrt.

I need to put one of these on mine as well. Every time I talk to my father he reminds me I need to do it just in case the winch sticks on.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A mate of mine told me about a story out in Australia that the kids (if you can call them that :pissed:) would put the winch on free spool put a length of cable and hook it on the rear axle, then they would use a piece of wire in the winch control socket to make the winch work, and walk away!! You can guess the end result., that is why I always put an interrupt on the winch feed, as well as you might get the solenoids to stick one time, and it is quicker to press a switch then cut a cable.

·
Registered
irate4x4 dot com
1,795 Posts
on prior setups I've had a constant duty solenoid wired in-line and controlled by the ignition on circuit. No need to wire up for separate switch, key would have to at least be ON or vehicle running, easy way to get to and kill power, and all you have to do is bolt the 2 power lead ends to one post on the solenoid if it happens to fail.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
on prior setups I've had a constant duty solenoid wired in-line and controlled by the ignition on circuit. No need to wire up for separate switch, key would have to at least be ON or vehicle running, easy way to get to and kill power, and all you have to do is bolt the 2 power lead ends to one post on the solenoid if it happens to fail.
Hey! How you doing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts