JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Vendor
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of us wenches got together to do a quick side-by-side winch comparison, as we wenches get asked all the time about the different winches we have used. :D The top 3 Q's: How fast? How loud? How reliable? We attempt to address the first two in the video...

Here is the link to the video on our Jeep School Facebook page, so you can enjoy the ensuing questions and discussion:
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=313018408733076&id=152105028176145&notif_t=share_comment

Here it is raw on Youtube:
Winch Comparison (aka "Wenches with Winches") - YouTube

Enjoy and happy trails,

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Very cool, that's a nice side by side compare.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Nice video... show's you spend a little more money, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
263 Posts
That was a great comparison. Can we see that between Warn & Superwinch?

·
Vendor
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My experience with the Warn (most recently the Powerplant) is that they perform (and are priced) more comparable to the Superwinch, but, tend to draw more amps. Until recently, Warn did not offer synthetic line on their winches due to a drum concern. The main focus of the video was to show what you get for the $ difference.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It should be nice to live in a world where ~$650 or 144% of the less expensive winch is just a "little more money"...
Correct but most people buy a winch as in investment not for just looks. If you are expecting to use your winch for more than just looks, I would have to spend the "$650 or 144%" more and know that when you need it it will be there. Also they didn't mention that Superwinch has the Talon Series rated at being able to work 75ft under water, so if you were to end up in a mud and water pit that happened to be above the winch the Superwinch would be able to work. But for occasional use the Recon is a good product and will work fine but it is very doubtful that it will last as long as the Superwinch Talon series.

Great video ladies, I will be referring customers to it on YouTube for sure.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
218:1 recon
148:1 talon

YUP, i was right! the talon also only has a 5.2 hp motor and the recon has a 6.5...

superwinches are kinda known for having crappy noisy motors too... it's kind of their thing lol. that being said i have a superwinch X9 that i'd trade for a recon if anyone wants to buy me one :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Correct but most people buy a winch as in investment not for just looks. If you are expecting to use your winch for more than just looks, I would have to spend the "$650 or 144%" more and know that when you need it it will be there. Also they didn't mention that Superwinch has the Talon Series rated at being able to work 75ft under water, so if you were to end up in a mud and water pit that happened to be above the winch the Superwinch would be able to work. But for occasional use the Recon is a good product and will work fine but it is very doubtful that it will last as long as the Superwinch Talon series.

Great video ladies, I will be referring customers to it on YouTube for sure.
Just because someone buys a "value minded" winch, it doesn't mean that it is just for looks. The Four Wheeler Multi-Winch Shootout (which I'm sure you have read) proves that value minded winches like the ENGO ($299 MSRP) will prove as tough or in most cases tougher than the expensive "you get what you pay for" winches like the Superwinch, Warn and Bulldog (all around $1,000 MSRP) that broke after the Stall Test.

FYI, I don't sell winches or am related to any business that does.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just because someone buys a "value minded" winch, it doesn't mean that it is just for looks. The Four Wheeler Multi-Winch Shootout (which I'm sure you have read) proves that value minded winches like the ENGO ($299 MSRP) will prove as tough or in most cases tougher than the expensive "you get what you pay for" winches like the Superwinch, Warn and Bulldog (all around $1,000 MSRP) that broke after the Stall Test.

FYI, I don't sell winches or am related to any business that does.
Agreed. I just picked up an Engo 12k winch after reading the shoot out and doing a side by side compare. Engo has the same warranty as Warn, kicked its butt off in testing, and costs 1/4 what the Warn does. It also survived the full submersion test without a hiccup. To me it's a no brainer....

I don't mind spending money to have quality gear, but more money isn't always better quality.

·
Vendor
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree that for the light recreational user who doesn't rely on their winch day in and day out, an economy winch can be a viable option when they just want to have something "just in case". For those of us that use our winches all the time, it really makes a big difference when the engage knob works smoothly, the remote cable doesn't pull out or get all tangled around your feet or the Jeep when reseting, or a drum that doesn't get smoking hot on any moderate to difficult recovery. Everyone has different needs!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
218:1 recon
148:1 talon

YUP, i was right! the talon also only has a 5.2 hp motor and the recon has a 6.5...
You are absolutely correct.

I agree that for the light recreational user who doesn't rely on their winch day in and day out, an economy winch can be a viable option when they just want to have something "just in case". For those of us that use our winches all the time, it really makes a big difference when the engage knob works smoothly, the remote cable doesn't pull out or get all tangled around your feet or the Jeep when reseting, or a drum that doesn't get smoking hot on any moderate to difficult recovery. Everyone has different needs!
So, you would not recommend a Warn because of it's in drum brake and lack of a coiled remote?

It's an interesting comparison between winches, but there are problems. One, the Recon is not a $450 winch. The Recon you see being sold out there by a certain company for $450 is actually a refurbished unit that has no factory warranty, only a warranty by the company that refurbishes them and disappears if the company goes belly up (a new Recon has a lifetime mechanical warranty unlike the short three year warranty you see on the $450 one). The non-refurbished Recon actually sells for around $700 so it's not in the budget winch category... That's more middle of the ground. :) Also looked like a brand new Superwinch vs a well used Recon judging by the rope.

I'm not saying the Recon compares to the Superwinch... Superwinch is better hands down. Just probably not the best winch to use for a budget comparison because outside the refurbished units, the Recon isn't one of the cheap-os out there. :D

·
Vendor
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are absolutely correct.

So, you would not recommend a Warn because of it's in drum brake and lack of a coiled remote?

It's an interesting comparison between winches, but there are problems. One, the Recon is not a $450 winch. The Recon you see being sold out there by a certain company for $450 is actually a refurbished unit that has no factory warranty, only a warranty by the company that refurbishes them and disappears if the company goes belly up (a new Recon has a lifetime mechanical warranty unlike the short three year warranty you see on the $450 one). The non-refurbished Recon actually sells for around $700 so it's not in the budget winch category... That's more middle of the ground. :) Also looked like a brand new Superwinch vs a well used Recon judging by the rope.

I'm not saying the Recon compares to the Superwinch... Superwinch is better hands down. Just probably not the best winch to use for a budget comparison because outside the refurbished units, the Recon isn't one of the cheap-os out there. :D
All good input. I did not say that I DON'T recommend Warn--I used Warns for years with great satisfaction. However, when synthetic line started becoming available, I started looking at differences. There is a reason why, until just recently, Warn winches were not available with synthetic line. Even now, you still cannot get a PowerPlant with synthetic. Kudos to Warn for testing their stuff and knowing its weaknesses. A coiled remote is nice, but not a deal breaker, IMO--just a nice safety feature for those of us that are constantly dancing over and around cable.

Interesting that you thought the Superwinch was much newer--it's actually close to the same age, with maybe only a couple fewer recoveries under it's belt. The Recon looks much worse, even though I have kept a cover on it, too. I would say that the line on the Recon is cheaper--it frayed and faded pretty quickly, while the Superwinch still looks new. Both have been in the mud and dust, and both have been cleaned regularly.

Recon was the cheapest and least expensive winch that I personally owned, so that is all I had for comparison.

Obviously, this is giving everyone food for thought, which was my goal here. It's up to everyone to decide what they like and what is really the most practical for their purposes. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts