JKOwners Forum banner

Will there be a V8 in a JK for 2010?

4K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  BadTime 
#1 ·
I have been trying to get a deal through my local Jeep dealer to find the Jeep I want. So far 3 have fallen through on there dealer search and I'm getting very frustrated. I want a 09 4dr Deep Water Blue Rubicon with a 6sp

They have a 09 Rubicon Red Rock red with an Auto on the lot. Well I really don't want the auto because I think its a dog with the gutless 3.8. So I took a 6sp 2 door out for a spin and loved how much more power it felt like it had. TOTALLY different. I actually wish I could get a an auto for wheeling purposes but I just don't think the v6 cuts in in the JK and the auto just kills it even more.

So after complaining about this to the dealership a lot and telling them how I'd love to just swap in a Hemi (plan on it anyway down the road) the manager mentioned to me that the 2010 will have a Hemi V8 if they don't can Jeep. Well I just was shocked when I heard this and haven't heard anything about Jeep doing something like this. If this was actually a true thing and I was willing to bet my chips on being able to get one this fall, I might just wait and get what I really want from the beginning.

So has anyone heard anything about this?? I think the guy was just full of crap personally but I wanted to know if by some remote chance this might be true.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have that exact jeep in stock btw. The manager is full of it....
I talked with jeep engineers at the 09 EJS and before we were allowed to ask ANY questions he said NO Hemi don't ask PLEASE! I know the 3.6 Pentastar v6 will make it into the JK by 2015 and there maybe a EV version of the wrangler since Obama now runs chrysler. If you want a V8 buy one from AEV or burnsville $$$$ or install one your self for about $12K.

Jason

#3 ·
Yep- that is a load of fecal matter. I talked to the Northeast engineering rep from Chrysler, and they said as much as they'd love to, they won't for A. liability reasons (duh!), and B. demand. The upcoming Pentastar will be the only engine change he says they have in the works. I asked him about torque, and he said while the engine IS more of a passenger vehicle engine, they're working on a stroker version for the trucks, including Wrangler. Sweet :) Maybe we'll have another 4.0? Mark W.

#5 ·
The government is running Chrysler now. They want to get rid of as many cars from the road as possible to "save the planet". They sure as hell aren't going to let you have a nasty V8 engine in your Jeep. I doubt they'll even allow public sales of off-highway vehicles in the future, They'll be OK for government use of course!:mr-t:

#10 ·
If they don't allow public sales, then there won't be any for them to buy either...they don't buy THAT many...

#7 ·
I do not think from a sr management perspective you'll see any changes next year and even the following year that was not already 80% done. Priority is to find ways to turn the company around which might mean you'll get a v8 you can install yourself through a firesale to raise capital. I understand the crate system is reduced allot if you can find someway to avoid the dealership markup.

#8 ·
^Umm, firesale? Unless they were going out of business, which they're not, that won't happen. Also, the only way to avoid dealership markup is to either be an employee, or get one through one, which is tricky.
Getting a lightly used Hemi through a junkyard or Craigslist/eBay is still the best way by far- Mark W.

#9 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I thought the guy was full of crap and have never liked the dealership as a whole but the guy I'm working with I've talked to on a number of occasions and would only consider buying from them if I was buying through him. JDEMONTO PM me info and let me know more about the jeep.

#13 ·
I agree, but I bet if they do put something in the JK, it will be geared more towards fuel economy...

#19 ·
4.7? You mean the 5.7 Hemi? =)

AFAIK, The hemi was about the 7500 lbs towing capacity. They were tuned very very "soccer mom". I.e. punching the 5.7 wasn't all that impressive stock.

A _little_ bit of tuning, and they really shined. New intake and exhaust, and they growled like a perfectly reasonable, and healthy engine. =)

But man, pop it up to 6000 RPMs in 2nd gear, and you'd hear the engine practically falling apart for a second - before you shot down the street in unstoppable (6,000 lbs) death-rocket to the next light/vehicle/building. hehe.

!c

#20 ·
I don't think the Commander is going to be with us too much longer...

#26 ·
They would likely be combining the T&C and Grand Caravan, as there's a decent amount of overlap.
As for the Caliber/Patriot/Compass, the Compass barely sells. The Patriot's the same vehicle with more space in the back for about the same $. I hope they kill both "Jeeps", and bring back the AWD Caliber. That'd be my move. Although I do enjoy the traffic the Pat brings in :) Mark W.

#27 ·
I am going to completely stop suggesting that they get rid of any models that have 4 cyls. after seeing the new fuel economy standards today...I predict if we get new engines, it will be a diesel or an EV, or hybrid of some type...I don't see how any Wrangler can make the standard without some type of diesel or hybrid setup...so lets sell as many of those less Jeepy "Jeeps" that we can...

#28 ·
What they need to do is find an auto/CVT for them that isn't such a gas pig! With the CVT, you lose 2 MPG city and FIVE highway (EPA). That's ridiculous. How can it be THAT inefficient? Although the part-time "4wd" system that is disengaged most of the time is smart, fuel-wise.
And I assure you- if the Compass sees a '10 model, it's because of Barry's new plan. The Commander is dead for sure now. Plan to see a Mazda-esque lightening of many vehicles, and I'd bet money that the Fiat Panda becomes the Jeep something-or-other, with a tiny, fuel-efficient engine to offset the Hemi monsters (still not a Wrangler!) in the herd ASAP- Mark W.

#29 ·
I said in another thread what you just said about that Panda....I bet you are right...and I still bet you the Hemi eventually goes the way of the dodo, at least in the Jeep line...I also feel like this ensures we will see a diesel in the Wrangler, sooner rather than later...quick and relatively easy way to improve fuel economy...

#32 ·
You actually drove the automatic? Funny I drove them both and thought the manual was a gutless wonder. I really wanted the manual, haven't drove auto for 14 years. I wonder if there was something was wrong with the Unl manual they had? I'm going to have to go drive another one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.