JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
8,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2007 to 2010 are virtually the same rig.. there were some minor headaches for suspension manufactures with the movement of the catalytic converters.. experienced this with Jenna's 2010.. but in general they are all the same rig.

2011 brought major changes.. if you notice the programming manufacturers have yet to come out with a 2011 programmer.. the interior is completely changed so as of yet you can't get a tuffy flip-n-lock or other interior type mods that were made for the 07-10 interiors. You can't get a sport cage either that i know of for the 11 as the dash has changed so much... the cats also moved once again..

2012 will bring some more major changes.. talk of a different windshield rake which will change the interior again, it is going to have a different engine which will require suspension companies to re-engineer once again... again, Superchips, Diablo Sport, Hypertech, etc will all have to re-engineer for the new engine.

My point is that why would the aftermarket companies spend time re-enginnering their product or in worst case scenario totally redesign their product or come out with new product for an exclusive model made in one year.. 2011.?

A prime example would be something like a sport cage.. If you can't put a 07 thru 10 sport cage in a 2011 and the windshield rake is going to change for 2012 which would change the sport cage's design... why would a company come to market with a 2011 only sport cage??

Just something to ponder.

·
Vendor
2,961 Posts
I know Rock Hard 4x4 has their Ultimate Sports Cage for the 2011 already in production, and really the only other issues we saw with the 2011 were the cat relocation. Well, that and the oil pan skid... and the lower dash panel, and....

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Excellent points. I know if I was developing something for my business I would not put the time and research into for the small number of 2011's on the market.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
those who just bought 2011's are kicking themselves, and are probably pondering kicking you lol!

personally i think it just creates an interesting challenge. to come up with a way to essentially "mass produce" "custom fabrications"

if a company is able to create and produce products that will work for the 11, and that is the only year it will work for, without sacrificing product durability, craftsmanship, or product integrity, then good on them. sounds to me like they are one helluva company that is well on their feet and really knows what they are doing...:beer:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Talk about a double whammy....first the people that didn't know about the 2012s will miss the Pentastar and improved auto transmission (hey, the Pentastar is no prize, but compared to the 3.8....fuggedaboudit). Then they realize ROI from their favorite mfgs isn't great enough to develop the aftermarket for their Jeep. That brings the suck.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'd say with around 100,000 of 2011's produced, it wouldn't be a waste of time. There were only about 50,000 LJ's produced and there's a decent after market for them.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'd say with around 100,000 of 2011's produced, it wouldn't be a waste of time. There were only about 50,000 LJ's produced and there's a decent after market for them.
LJ's comparatively though are an easy change, the whole cabin is the same as the TJ, just length added for the suspension and a few minor changes. Nothing close to the change from the 2010-2011 years.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Yep, it'll be a redheaded stepchild to a certain extent.

·
Registered
821 Posts
LJ's comparatively though are an easy change, the whole cabin is the same as the TJ, just length added for the suspension and a few minor changes. Nothing close to the change from the 2010-2011 years.
True. But there are still LJ specific parts out there. Just saying with ~100,000 vehicles there is plenty of market potential.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
It'll be like the 2003 TJ that underwent the same thing. My guess is that manufacturers will try to tweak what they already have produced for the 07-10's or what they develop for the +12's to fit for the '11. If they can't do that within a reasonable budget I'm thinking the '11 is just gonna kinda fall by the wayside for aftermarket options

·
Registered
821 Posts
Looks like the 11 people, will be going to small custom shops to get there parts fabed up. Not good for the buyers but good for the small local shops. Think I might look into a pipe bender and welder, ha ha.
I was thinking the same thing. If the major aftermarket companies don't want to invest in the '11 then maybe I should open a 2011 Wrangler specific business. Maybe I have finally found my niche! :idea::laughing:

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
The 2007 to 2010 are virtually the same rig.. there were some minor headaches for suspension manufactures with the movement of the catalytic converters.. experienced this with Jenna's 2010.. but in general they are all the same rig.

2011 brought major changes.. if you notice the programming manufacturers have yet to come out with a 2011 programmer.. the interior is completely changed so as of yet you can't get a tuffy flip-n-lock or other interior type mods that were made for the 07-10 interiors. You can't get a sport cage either that i know of for the 11 as the dash has changed so much... the cats also moved once again..

2012 will bring some more major changes.. talk of a different windshield rake which will change the interior again, it is going to have a different engine which will require suspension companies to re-engineer once again... again, Superchips, Diablo Sport, Hypertech, etc will all have to re-engineer for the new engine.

My point is that why would the aftermarket companies spend time re-enginnering their product or in worst case scenario totally redesign their product or come out with new product for an exclusive model made in one year.. 2011.?

A prime example would be something like a sport cage.. If you can't put a 07 thru 10 sport cage in a 2011 and the windshield rake is going to change for 2012 which would change the sport cage's design... why would a company come to market with a 2011 only sport cage??

SSSSHHHHHHHH!!! Maybe if nobody says anything they'll make stuff for 11's like mine!!! :D

I personally like my '11- it has the straighter windshield of the 07-10 and a sexy newer interior! I will have to see a '12 to make sure but, I think I will end up being happier with the body shape of my '11. MANY parts interchange back and forth anyway (07-11) so, I don't think it will be too bad!

IF I had waited for a '12, I wouldn't have bought one until '14- with the HUGE amount of drivetrain changes coming, I don't like the idea of being a guinea pig! Any big change in a given model I always avoid for a couple years to allow the bugs to be worked out of the redesign. The '11 changes were not huge and I much prefer the interior so, I bought one. (PLUS at the time that I drove my '11 I didn't even know anything had been changed since I had never seen the interior of a JK before, LOL!)

·
Registered
107 Posts
or, the '11 could become the four leaf clover of Jeep, if the pentastar flops or the '12 exterior changes are butt ugly (doubt it, but just wishful thinking :D)

well, for those who want the newer interior anyway.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The cage is the only thing I've come across that may be a little different, but if you look at the dash profile from the side they are pretty close. I think the poly cage would work and rockhard makes a bolt in cage bar. It doesn't really matter to me as I'd get a through the dash cage from a local builder regardless of year.

I haven't had any trouble spending money on my '11 yet. With the crazy money companies want for JK parts I could almost have whatever I wanted custom fabbed for the same price anyway.

·
Registered
590 Posts

Awwww man, why'd you have to go and say something like that??? ;)

Thought there are changes, any aftermarket company would be leaving 20% of the current production JKs off the table for $$. Granted there would be some refactoring costs impacting margins, but not as sufficient as a complete redesign, and certainly enough coin nt to leave on the table.

Then again, what do I know; I don't make parts. LOL

There is a chance the 2012s will reuse some interior components.

What would be even scarier to me is if Chrysler spent the $$ on retooling for one year then made a drastic course correction with the 2012. I would raise an eyebrow at the R&D, time to market, and overall quality & reliability.

It doesn't make sense to consciously change the 2011 knowing the 2012 changes were coming..

I doubt a focus group of 2,500 people said I would buy a 2011 if only u changed the interior and moved the cat...

My big question: Will the 2012 have the cool 2011 windshield with the little Jeep on it? :thefinger::thefinger:

Good thread!!

Steve

1 - 20 of 38 Posts