JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help...my 08 JKU automatic will not shift out of park. :shaking: I have not had any problems. Jeep was running fine when I parked it in the garage. Engine starts, no warning lights on dash. Button on side of gear shifter depresses just fine.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Try turning the key to the accessory position without the engine on and try to shift to neutral - then start the car and see if that loosens things up -- used to happen to my old ass taurus occasionally.

my 08 JKU automatic
^^^ well theres your problem!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Does it feel.like the cable is moving on the trans itself? Clicking in place, or just take a look underneath and make sure its attached there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shifter will not move at all. Nothing is moving. I tried with key in all positions. I rocked the jeep front-to-back in case the tranny was stuck. Nothing working.

I think there maybe a sensor somewhere that is not working. In one of my older trucks, there was a sensor on the break pedal, that must be tripped in order for the vehicle to shift out of park. Does the JK have something like this?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I wonder If there is something in the pushbutton broken.

Sent via Morse Code using my iJeep

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Shifter will not move at all. Nothing is moving. I tried with key in all positions. I rocked the jeep front-to-back in case the tranny was stuck. Nothing working.

I think there maybe a sensor somewhere that is not working. In one of my older trucks, there was a sensor on the break pedal, that must be tripped in order for the vehicle to shift out of park. Does the JK have something like this?
yes it does. Yours is under warranty so before you do something crazy have it towed to the dealer! And BTW it isn't a bumper to bumper lifetime warranty it just covers the drive train! :beer:

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Try turning the key to the accessory position without the engine on and try to shift to neutral - then start the car and see if that loosens things up -- used to happen to my old ass taurus occasionally.

^^^ well theres your problem!
its all because Cobra64 called your jeep a car. :thefinger:
not only is there a dead kitten somewhere, your jeep will never start again!

theres a neutral safety switch somewhere, usually on the brake pedal. i have a 6-spd so im not too sure about this part, but is there a little tab near the shift selector that pops out? if there is, pop that out and push a screwdriver or key in there. its a bypass type thingy.

we used to have a guy on here, he sold his JK for an xterra :rainbow: and had the same problem. pretty sure it was the safety switch

good luck

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
! And BTW it isn't a bumper to bumper lifetime warranty it just covers the drive train! :beer:
Yes, mine is Lifetime Bumper to Bumper, not just drivetrain. I worked out that deal when I bought it.

I will probably have to take it to the dealer, but always try to fix things myself first.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
there a little tab near the shift selector that pops out? if there is, pop that out and push a screwdriver or key in there. its a bypass type thingy.
this ^^^^ its also in your OWNERS manual believe it or not :laughing: Its not the neutral safety switch though its shift lock override.

OP you are remembering to put your foot on the brake right? :laughing:

Shift Lock Manual Override
Your vehicle may be equipped with a shift lock manual
override. The manual override may be used in the event
that the shift lever should fail to move from PARK with
the key in the ON position and the brake pedal depressed.
To operate the shift lock manual override, perform
the following steps:
1. Firmly set the parking brake.
2. Using a flat blade screwdriver, carefully remove the
shift lock manual override cover which is located on the
PRNDL bezel, above the PARK position.
3. Depress and maintain firm pressure on the brake
pedal.
4. Using the screwdriver, reach into the manual override
opening. Press and hold the shift lock lever down
5. Depress the shifter release button and shift into NEUTRAL.
6. The vehicle may then be started in NEUTRAL.
Have your vehicle inspected by your local authorized
dealer, if the shift lock manual override has been used

Disconnect your battery overnight it will probably reset the "gremlin"

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
this ^^^^ its also in your OWNERS manual believe it or not :laughing: Its not the neutral safety switch though its shift lock override.

OP you are remembering to put your foot on the brake right? :laughing:

Shift Lock Manual Override
Your vehicle may be equipped with a shift lock manual
override. The manual override may be used in the event
that the shift lever should fail to move from PARK with
the key in the ON position and the brake pedal depressed.
To operate the shift lock manual override, perform
the following steps:
1. Firmly set the parking brake.
2. Using a flat blade screwdriver, carefully remove the
shift lock manual override cover which is located on the
PRNDL bezel, above the PARK position.
3. Depress and maintain firm pressure on the brake
pedal.
4. Using the screwdriver, reach into the manual override
opening. Press and hold the shift lock lever down
5. Depress the shifter release button and shift into NEUTRAL.
6. The vehicle may then be started in NEUTRAL.
Have your vehicle inspected by your local authorized
dealer, if the shift lock manual override has been used
see... im not just another pretty face! :grinpimp:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
but is there a little tab near the shift selector that pops out? if there is, pop that out and push a screwdriver or key in there. its a bypass type thingy[/SIZE][/SIZE].
:D:DFixed......That fixed it. Super easy too. I popped out the little tab next to the shifter, pressed the button under it, and all is working again.

Thanks a bunch. :beer:

·
Registered
485 Posts
It "might" be your e-brake. I know I have had similar problems and it is always with how my brake is set. Just either engage, or disengage the brake and see if that might do. If not it might be a more serious problem, just throwing my past experience out there if you want it my friend.

But what mine was doing was in park you could press in the side button but it would not budge... I messed with the brake and she slides into place.

Just saying and hope that helps. (Or that it was a simple as that and you have no major problems.)

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
485 Posts
Well... nevermind, glad you got it fixed so easy man!

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again to the group. I can at least 'drive it to the shop instead of having it towed, if I want them to check out what caused the problem in the first place.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Glad to hear that got it working for you. llike you said, saves you the $$ of a tow truck. hopefully its not a major item to get it all sorted out

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Any chance of an update on this I am having the same problem

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Any chance of an update on this I am having the same problem
What would you like updated? It appears the OP found his answer in this thread and his problem was solved. Did you try the remedies listed in this thread?

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Shifter stuck

Thanks again to the group. I can at least 'drive it to the shop instead of having it towed, if I want them to check out what caused the problem in the first place.
I am also able to get the it to shift out of park using the info in the post, but it keeps locking up just wondering if a problem was found before I start taring apart the counsel.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I am also able to get the it to shift out of park using the info in the post, but it keeps locking up just wondering if a problem was found before I start taring apart the counsel.
Now I see said the blind man.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts