JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Superchips programmer 91octane tune. Do I need to go back to stock? What about my tire size option? And gear ratio option? And air pressure sensor delete option?? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Mine passed NV emissions with a tune installed. As long as you haven't cleared codes or just installed the tuner, it should be fine. No check engine light of course.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too late, cleared the tune on Monday night. Is it true when you turn the ignition on, the check engine light should not flash? Mine flashes after about 10-11 seconds. I heard if it flashes you will fail!

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Too late, cleared the tune on Monday night. Is it true when you turn the ignition on, the check engine light should not flash? Mine flashes after about 10-11 seconds. I heard if it flashes you will fail!
Being a tech, I have never heard that, but I wasn't doing inspections so it didnt affect me. You need to have the readiness codes set, tuner may check that. Pulling the tune just made you need to drive it for a few days to set the obd ii readiness parameters. Or you'll fail that one.

Sent via paper airplane

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Depends on the state. In Komifornia if your CEL is on you fail immediately. But other states dont really care. You need to research your local regs for a correct answer.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Being a tech, I have never heard that, but I wasn't doing inspections so it didnt affect me. You need to have the readiness codes set, tuner may check that. Pulling the tune just made you need to drive it for a few days to set the obd ii readiness parameters. Or you'll fail that one.

Sent via paper airplane
A few days, bummer. Does your check engine light stay on until you start your jeep? Before you crank your jeep mine is on for about 8 seconds then flashes ten times then stays on solid until I start the jeep, then it's off (as it should be). What a pain in the ass. My tags expire on the 9, so it's the difference of going to a kiosk and renewing my registration or going to the DMV and waiting in line to get an extension. Actually I think in Nevada it has to fail first then after 4 hours in line at DMV they will grant me an extension.
Ugh!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had to fail first to get an extension. Go to the DMV on Stephanie in the afternoon on Saturdays, I've never waited more than 30-40 minutes. Too bad they've cracked down in NV, until about a year ago an extra 20 bones at the test station and they'd pass anything. Damn technology!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My check engine light finally stopped flashing this morning! 3 days of getting up earlier and driving around for an hour before work might have paid off. Now, time for the smog check and hopefully a DMV Kiosk at an Albertsons instead of the DMV.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Smog passed! Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
YOu westerners and your smog tests! :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YOu westerners and your smog tests! :)
You know, growing up I always had beater cars from the 70's a Datsun 280z, a Cadillac, a Toyota mini truck. They all consistently broke down and failed smog. Nothing an extra $20 to the smog tech wouldn't fix Then in Cali they started smoging cars on a Dyno under load. No more bribes equalled expensive emissions related repairs.
Now as an adult even though I have way newer cars and live in Nevada, I still get nervous at smog check time. I know if my Jeep or my wife's TL ever fail, it will be expensive $$$$$$$$$$.
Anyways, thanks again for the advice!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.