JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious if anyone knows the answer to this question. I've read several posts about people having their warrany null-and-voided due to having a lift installed, but what about a leveling kit?

I'm just curious because I'm going to ditch the 247/75r16 stockers soon and I'm toying with the idea of going with some 255/85r16's(33's). I believe I could run these without a leveling kit, but I just don't think it would look quite right. My next option would be to go with some 265/75r16's.

TIA,
Shaffer

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
I'd imagine so, if an inspector comes out to one of your claims they'll probably flag it. I'd call them directly and just not give your info. Only way to be 100% sure.

I've had it happen on lowered/modified BMWs

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Depends on the dealer, you should have no problem with such a small lift. Keep it under 3 1/2" to be safe. Again find a Jeep friendly dealer, thats the hard part!

Jason

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I contacted a local dealer. I was told it wouldn't void my warranty if installed through them. However, they want $640 to install a leveling kit. Unless they're quoting me a price for the Teraflex performance leveling kit, that's more than I'm willing to pay. If that price was for the performance leveling kit w/installation, then it's reasonable.

I asked if it will void my warranty if I install it myself, but I haven't received a response yet.

I've done a lot of work on vehicles over the years, including suspsension work, and a Teraflex leveling kit looks like a walk in the park. It's just time consuming more than anything.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
In general, if you're worried about warranty coverage don't modify the vehicle. It's a crap shoot with dealers and factory reps, and even though the law is actually on your side, getting relief can involve courts, lawyers, etc., and become a royal PITA.

·
Heat'n and a beat'n...
3,953 Posts
Sell the warranty back to them if you can, its no good if you wanna make your jeep cool.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The main reason I bought the warranty is for the engine and transmission protection. See, I bought my girlfriend an '06 Jeep Liberty with an aftermarket warranty(Zurich). The day we drove it off the lot the check engine light came on. Yeah, no shit, it happened! :pissed: Long-story-short, about six trips to three different Jeep dealers and the problem was fixed. However, not after the engine had been torn into twice, totalling over $4000 in repairs! The warranty paid every penny of it! (Said part is, I had to provide the dumb SOB's the TSB regarding the problem. They performed the TSB and voila! The problem was fixed!)

Now you can see why I bought the warranty on my JK. I didn't want to get burned!

The other reason for buying the warranty is because we live in an appartment complex and no vehicle maintenance is allowed on the property. Having said that, I installed the lift in my '03 Jeep Liberty in my driveway. :thefinger: I just don't tear something apart unless I KNOW I can reassemble it the same day. The landlord would have a fit to seem me tearing apart an engine or dropping a tranny in the parking lot.

Sometimes I don't think I'll ever use the warranty unless something catastrophic happens. The nearest Jeep dealer is over an hour away. Between the $50 it would cost to drive my Jeep there and back; the $100 deductible; and the time involved, its quicker and easier to fix the shit myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts