JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through my Goodson catalog updating some of my valve cutters and noticed they have a dry ice maker that screws on a co2 bottle. Upon further research I found out I can get one online for about 90 bucks. It says the cylinder needs a dip tube. Has anyone tried to turn the cylinder up side down to get liquid co2 out? Or will that just freeze it shut?
How about mounting a dip tube cylinder upside down for air?
The only reason I am asking is that it gets hot out in the desert. I wouldn't mind being able to replenish my cooler on extended trips.
Yes, I could get one of those cool ARB fridges, and probably will. But the dry ice maker just looked fun.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Never tried it myself, so don't blame me if you freeze your fingers off.

Found this on the net...You could probably use your powertank and a blowgun tip. "Just open the hose into a burlap bag and then pack the dry ice snow into a container."

I know that at my job, they use a small wooden box (8"x8"x10") with hinges on 3 edges (so that it opens easily after the block is formed). So I believe the burlap bag can also work, you probably wont be able to take the block out of the bag, until the ice has evaporated. You don't want to deal with the liquid, just get the gas to expand quickly within a confined space. Although it is not very efficient, about 46% of the gas will freeze into dry ice snow, the rest of the C02 gas is released into the atmosphere.

Just make sure you're using thick gloves (like heavy welder's leather gloves) when handling dry ice.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You can use the co2 tank up side down. But you will not be able to use the whole tank. I work for a supplier of co2 and people do it all the time, A dip tube or siphon tube is the best way.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi,

Make sure you do this in a well-ventilated area. Trying to do this in a closed-in room could lead to serious health issues (a.k.a. death)

Jeff

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I sounds like freezing a couple of beers with a blow gun may be an advantage to Co2 over an onboard compressor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts