JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2" Old Man Emu kit a few years back.

I am wondering if they gave me more then 2" of lift...

I've already got 4" Poly Performance Coils and I wonder if they will actually give me more lift?

You guys be the boss:

·
Registered
244 Posts
The springs you have now gave you more than 2 inches because you have a relatively light rig. If you would have gotten 2 inches from that a guy in a 4 door that was fully armored would be pitching about only getting an inch and a half. Consequently you'll probably notice more than 4 inches out of the new springs.

Sent from work with tapatalk.

·
Breaker of nice things
2,477 Posts
Marcus pretty much nailed it. I'm in the same boat - lightweight 2-door & someone local wanted to sell me a set of 4-door 3" springs, but I knew that that would give me at least 4-4.5" of lift, which was more than I'm shooting for.

Are the Poly springs the 2 or 4 door version?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Measure from the top of the axle to the bottom of the frame, on my stock jk it measures 6". OME HD coils are known to give 3"+ in actual lift height.
do you happen to know the old man emu coil spring #'s?

my one side was a 16 at the end i think the other was 17

Marcus pretty much nailed it. I'm in the same boat - lightweight 2-door & someone local wanted to sell me a set of 4-door 3" springs, but I knew that that would give me at least 4-4.5" of lift, which was more than I'm shooting for.

Are the Poly springs the 2 or 4 door version?
2 door poly version. . .

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm gonna go with yes...you're sitting at roughly the same height as my JK on the 2.5" RK coils. I have closer to 3.5" out of those and you'll probably get 4 - 4.5 with the 4" Poly coils.

Get ready for a cascade of other parts needing to be added once you put the taller coils on.

Marcus
ive already got front lower control arms...

not sure what else i will need with these coils.

·
Registered
601 Posts
ive already got front lower control arms...

not sure what else i will need with these coils.
Im sure you'll get at least another 2" of lift over those settled OME coils. With the bump to 4"ers, IMO, to really get both pinions & frt caster dialed you should go w/adj CA's top & bottom (fr & rr). You know about the driveshafts asap w/those coils already, definately an upgrade to aftermarket shafts (if you want them to last). I wouldnt feel comfortable w/those coils & stock driveshafts & Im a stick/4door. You didnt mention, but Im assuming you have your dad's shocks lined up. If so itd be a good idea to double check you BS lengths w/the longer shocks, when u have the coils out. If you need help or questions, feel free to get ahold of me.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im sure you'll get at least another 2" of lift over those settled OME coils. With the bump to 4"ers, IMO, to really get both pinions & frt caster dialed you should go w/adj CA's top & bottom (fr & rr). You know about the driveshafts asap w/those coils already, definately an upgrade to aftermarket shafts (if you want them to last). I wouldnt feel comfortable w/those coils & stock driveshafts & Im a stick/4door. You didnt mention, but Im assuming you have your dad's shocks lined up. If so itd be a good idea to double check you BS lengths w/the longer shocks, when u have the coils out. If you need help or questions, feel free to get ahold of me.
always helpful K.

ya the old man said i can have his old fox shocks. but i'd be comfortable with running my old man emu long travel shocks. they'll extend so far that my coils will come unseated and fall out. partly why i want to use taller coils. i know about the drive shafts and having the control arms. i just dont got that kind of cash at the moment.

im still dishing out near 19K for school a year.... *@@!

so i may just not install these coils.

·
Registered
601 Posts
always helpful K.

ya the old man said i can have his old fox shocks. but i'd be comfortable with running my old man emu long travel shocks. they'll extend so far that my coils will come unseated and fall out. partly why i want to use taller coils. i know about the drive shafts and having the control arms. i just dont got that kind of cash at the moment.

im still dishing out near 19K for school a year.... *@@!

so i may just not install these coils.
I hear you. Priorities first! It gets expensive quick, w/more lift, for sure. Id definately run the Fox's though. The difference in length of the OME & Poly springs in length are huge. You'd be shortchanging yourself alot droop travel w/those shocks w/the 4" coils. Especially w/37's as your no where near bottoming the shock, take adavntage of the longer Fox shock & lose the unused uptravel w/the OME shocks. If you say screw the whole idea & you decide to sell the coils, theyre prolly equal to 3'ers for the unltd & Id grab em off of ya, haha..

Hope things are good!!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you say screw the whole idea & you decide to sell the coils, theyre prolly equal to 3'ers for the unltd & Id grab em off of ya, haha..
hahahaa... as long as momma doesnt see the card transactions you're in the clear, huh?

lol. for sure though. i'll keep that in mind.

they were prettty cheap though. idk if you'd actually even get higher from them with your current setup...

·
Registered
601 Posts
hahahaa... as long as momma doesnt see the card transactions you're in the clear, huh?

lol. for sure though. i'll keep that in mind.

they were prettty cheap though. idk if you'd actually even get higher from them with your current setup...
Definately not looking for more height. Just looking to upgrade springs. Ive already had to replace the TF fronts once from being severly sagged & bowed. Very happy w/PP stuff.... Card, nah. Id pay u cash, D.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Definately not looking for more height. Just looking to upgrade springs. Ive already had to replace the TF fronts once from being severly sagged & bowed. Very happy w/PP stuff.... Card, nah. Id pay u cash, D.
why not look into picking up a set of old man emu +40 hd coils from D @ NR4x4

those should hold weight and never sag. from what i hear and see.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
check this out.

i called up arb and asked about my long travel shocks.

they stated that its made for 4-6" of lift.

here are the specs:

Open
27.79”

Closed
16.61”

Fox Shocks 4-6"

Open
27.65"

Closed
17.15"

·
Registered
601 Posts
check this out.

i called up arb and asked about my long travel shocks.

they stated that its made for 4-6" of lift.

here are the specs:

Open
27.79”

Closed
16.61”

Fox Shocks 4-6"

Open
27.65"

Closed
17.15"
Wow, they run those w/their 2.5 coils? I sure hope those suckers came w/coil retainers!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.