JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting muddled here with opposing opinions.

I am concerned about wheel to stop clearance in full turn and with tire to frame (etc) clearance in the rear.

Hypothetically what is the least amount of back spacing a person can have on a stock JK if the measured section with is 12.5 inches on a 9" rim?

I dont want the tires to stick out any further than they have to.

My old JK I had PXA7069-7973's 17x9's procomp's with 4.75" back spacing and there was a pretty big gap behind the rear wheel which made them stick out.

I can't remember how large the gap was though in the rear. It seemed to be out about an inch and a half further than it really need to be for street driving without compensating for arch during articulation. Just on a level surface.

Could I person go with a 6" back spacing on a 12.5 on a 9" rim for street driving?

Thanks in advance

Jeff

·
Registered
377 Posts
I am getting muddled here with opposing opinions.

I am concerned about wheel to stop clearance in full turn and with tire to frame (etc) clearance in the rear.

Hypothetically what is the least amount of back spacing a person can have on a stock JK if the measured section with is 12.5 inches on a 9" rim?

I dont want the tires to stick out any further than they have to.

My old JK I had PXA7069-7973's 17x9's procomp's with 4.75" back spacing and there was a pretty big gap behind the rear wheel which made them stick out.

I can't remember how large the gap was though in the rear. It seemed to be out about an inch and a half further than it really need to be for street driving without compensating for arch during articulation. Just on a level surface.

Could I person go with a 6" back spacing on a 12.5 on a 9" rim for street driving?

Thanks in advance

Jeff
It would depend on how tall of a tire also... especially in the front.

I have read repeatedly that stock 17" wheels are 6" backspacing so the short answer would still probably be "NO"!

With stock 17" wheels, a 1 1/4" spacer, a 35x12.50x17" tire would barely rub. I never felt it but I saw the marks it left on the rear wheel well and the front lower control arms and (I think but not sure) the swaybar also.

This was an 8 1/2" wheel but not sure if it would make much difference?

·
Registered
377 Posts
It would depend on how tall of a tire also... especially in the front.

I have read repeatedly that stock 17" wheels are 6" backspacing so the short answer would still probably be "NO"!

With stock 17" wheels, a 1 1/4" spacer, a 35x12.50x17" tire would barely rub. I never felt it but I saw the marks it left on the rear wheel well and the front lower control arms and (I think but not sure) the swaybar also.

This was an 8 1/2" wheel but not sure if it would make much difference?
Your factory wheels have 6.25" back spacing. About the biggest tire you can put on them without a lot of rubbing and no spacers is a 285/70/17 and it is very close to the sway bar links in the rear.

The answer to your question really relies on your tire choice more than anything.
^I would listen to him. He does this stuff day in/day out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts