JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mostly about the Ford Exporer....the bottom line LAWYERS!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/25/why-u-haul-wont-rent-you-a-trailer-for-your-ford-explorer/

If you are a Ford Explorer owner who may need to infrequently tow small loads, here's a Public Service Announcement that may be of interest. Apparently, U-Haul, which we'd guess is the first name that pops in people's minds when the subject of a rental trailer comes up, will not loan trailers out if the lender plans on hooking it up to a Ford Explorer, regardless of the vehicle's tow rating.

According to a spokesperson for U-Haul that spoke to Consumer Reports, it's company policy to deny trailer rentals to Explorer owners. Why? Lawyers. Says Joanne Fried, director of media and corporate relations, "Every time we go to hire an attorney to defend a lawsuit, as soon as we say 'Ford Explorer,' they charge us more money."

The issue can be traced all the way back to the Firestone tire debacle that tarnished the Explorer's good name in the late 1990s. Though the original lawsuit has long since been settled and, more importantly, the current Explorer shares absolutely nothing but its moniker with the old truck-based model cited in the lawsuit, the name 'Explorer' is still enough to incite bouts of panic, sleepless nights and a bucket full of dollar signs to U-Haul's legal team.

The corporate edict also applies to the Jeep Wrangler, unless the owner agrees only to tow the U-Haul trailer only when a hardtop is in place on the iconic off-roader. Seems more than a little arbitrary and ignorant to us, but we're not the ones with law degrees, so what do we know?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Is this a new policy? I rented one with my softop a few months ago

·
Registered
461 Posts
None of the U-Hauls in my area would rent a trailer to me with my JK so I went to get the trailer with my 1970 Cutlass wagon and then switched it to the JK when I got home.

·
Registered
660 Posts
They wouldn't rent one to us in a F-150 because the receiver hitch wasn't "Uhaul approved"

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I think it is clear why they won't let Wranglers tow their trailers....

I am pretty sure it has something to do with this:

It just looks wrong - someone at Uhaul must have a sense of style.

:thefinger:

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
They also won't let you rent a car carrier for a JK, unless you rent a 17' truck...

That was a nice $200 bill to get home...

I think it is clear why they won't let Wranglers tow their trailers....

I am pretty sure it has something to do with this:

It just looks wrong - someone at Uhaul must have a sense of style.

:thefinger:
Go digging much???

That had me FLOORED for 3 days after seeing it... The first time.
:beer:

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Digging hell!! I saved a copy! :D

:hide:
:laughing:

I'm going to dirty up his other thread and tell him this IS his solution to the fender issue...
:beer:

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
:laughing: :thefinger:

god, the looks I got on that long ass drive. :shaking: but funny enough, most of them thumbsup :laughing: and the JK OWNED the uhaul trailer, I was IMPRESSED!

hell!, I got great gas mileage too! and if I remember correctly, I set a Florida trend after that. :laughing2:

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Rental shops realize that many of their renters are clueless. Years back a buddy of mine came to work all mad because the local shop wouldn't rent him a Bobcat on a car trailer. The combo probably weighed in at over 8K. He had an 87 Xj with an 1-1/8" receiver.

I caught this a few years ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
752 Posts
Well looks like I will be doing that very thing from Ca to Md here in the near future. I have a Hardtop though.......

Yes I am going to run my stock wheels and look dumb too. No since in burning up the krawlers for over 3K miles.

Now I just gotta mod a the PSC Rear bumper for a reveiver and such.

KC

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Rented a U Haul trailer yesterday. Rental agent said no soft tops. WTF?
Not an issue for me as I have a hard top.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I rented one, had someone else pick it up with their truck then I dropped it off 200 miles later. Didn't even batt an eye when I dropped it off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts