JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went skiing today and took my helmet cam along with me. So on the way back I took a video of what it takes from the 3.8L to climb from Silverthorn, CO up to the tunnel on the way home.

It was worse with the 4:10s, now it has 5:13, auto, 35s.

Kinda long (8 min) because I left it totally unedited.

YouTube - JeepHillClimb.wmv

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Dont that drive plenty of times, not fun with the 3.8
Mine was always almost redlined in 3rd gear just to keep up with traffic

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
It is far from a highway performer for sure. I'm taking mine skiing next weekend and imagine the mountains will pose a challenge for mine as well now that Im on 35's still with the stock 3.73's

·
Banned
184 Posts
I think this is one where you definitely had to be there. Honestly, I'm not sure what you're trying to show in this video. Maybe some comments of what you where experiencing rather than where you were on the road could have helped, and maybe some camera shots of the Speedo and Tach, to give us some kind of indication of the work the engine is having to put in, as well as a description of how far you had the gas pedal pushed.

I realize you where trying to show the weakness of the V6 3.8L and that was already pretty obvious to me the 1st time I test drove my JK. Your video shows you passing up other trucks and you made it up the hill to the tunnel. So I'm not sure if you made your point with that particular video.

·
Registered
647 Posts
yeah my 2dr and 35"s with an auto and 4:10's love that drive a couple times a month! not!!! Actually i prefer the drive east then i do leaving denver and heading back to glenwood.. but yeah..im a redline almost all the time. im gonna blow the engine one of these days.

·
Registered
169 Posts
yeah my 2dr and 35"s with an auto and 4:10's love that drive a couple times a month! not!!! Actually i prefer the drive east then i do leaving denver and heading back to glenwood.. but yeah..im a redline almost all the time. im gonna blow the engine one of these days.
Then you can do the hemi swap for about as much as it would cost for a new engine at the stealerships.. :bounce::bounce::beer:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
But yeah, I feel your pain on the hill climb...:bawling:

Everytime i make the trip from Laughlin to Kingman i am in 2nd gear with the cruise set at 50mph going up a 6% grade for 13 miles...Speed lomit is 65. :shaking:

The Racelines and Toyos really REALLY brought the SUCK on the highway.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Have done the drive many times and it is a struggle in a Jeep. FWIW, the JK did it a little better than my 4.0L TJ ever did though.

·
Registered
783 Posts
you know, I'm not saying the engine itself isn't weak, but I think a lot of the problem is the tranny. the ratio's in the auto suck. I can hit 65-70mph in second. I think either lower ratio's, or a 5spd. auto would help a lot.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Ok...the ragging on the V6 is the buyers fault...you aren't going to get sympathy from me. Did someone force you to buy the Jeep without test driving it first? Did someone force you to put bigger tires on it? Had you never read a forum post before about all this before you bought it?

It's like complaining about the pay of your job or the hours you have to work. No one forced you to take the job and the pay...you had a choice.

Maybe I am the only lucky one in the world but I dig the V6...plenty of power for me. I have 5.13s, 37s, manny tranny and haven't thought I got less than I paid for.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Ok...the ragging on the V6 is the buyers fault...you aren't going to get sympathy from me. Did someone force you to buy the Jeep without test driving it first? Did someone force you to put bigger tires on it? Had you never read a forum post before about all this before you bought it?

It's like complaining about the pay of your job or the hours you have to work. No one forced you to take the job and the pay...you had a choice.

Maybe I am the only lucky one in the world but I dig the V6...plenty of power for me. I have 5.13s, 37s, manny tranny and haven't thought I got less than I paid for.
says the guy living in a flat mountainless state!

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Had sticks in my other 10 jeeps. Over a million miles of shifting Jeeps I was ready for an auto. The auto is wonderful for everything but that hill, I will stick with my auto.
Understood, the gear splitting of the 6spd versus the 4spd auto is pretty steep. JK really dropped the ball with only a 4spd, today's standard is 5 forward gears...minimum!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts