1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a hard top and did this.........

I cleaned up the cut......

And then test fit.......

Some time ago I sold my hard top for $1400 and have been running just a softtop. Then last weekend I saw a hard top for sale for $500 with some damage. I offered $300 and brought it home. When I had my hardtop I really liked the freedom panels, but wished it covered the kids, when I found another hardtop I made one that did what I wanted. I'm not overly concerned with weather as my JK is a trail toy/weekend cruiser only. I still have some clean up to do to finish the project (to include repainting inside and out), but am very happy with the outcome so far.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Very nice, I really like the looks of this. :beer:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Very Nice. I wish I could find a deal like that. I don't think I have the kahonas to cut mine, but if I could find one for that price, well then. I bet if you wanted you could have a canvas shop make you a cover that attached to the back and sloped back with the roll bar. That would be hot.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
..... I don't think I have the kahonas to cut mine..........
The first cut was by far the hardest. I laid under it with my 5 year old thinking about it for at least 10 minutes. Then I finally grabbed the sawsall and just hacked into. Once I had a 2" cut I knew I was commited and didn't second guess it all after that.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
it actually was not a bad idea. I like it. What is the notch for?

As somebody already said, a offroad heroes/fast back stylce section in the rear would really complete it!:beer:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
..... What is the notch for?......
I orginally just cut it in half to make it easier to move around. The notch was just a relief cut to relieve stress on the fiberglass as I cut the final cut. There were several, the one shown was just simply the first.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That look great

Can you give us a camera shot of your project from the rear? I would like to see how it turned out there.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you give us a camera shot of your project from the rear? I would like to see how it turned out there.
I pulled it off right after those trial fittings to clean up the cut and paint. I ran out of time last weekend and won't get a chance to finish it up and reinstall until next weekend (wheeling this weekend). I will be sure to post up pictures from all angles as well as my thoughts on the whole project once finished.

·
Registered
13 Posts
nice

that looks great...

·
Registered
868 Posts
I like, I can't wait to see the finished project.

Ron

·
Registered
916 Posts
I couldn't believe anyone would cut a perfectly good hardtop, I actually felt my heart stop, until I read your post under the pics.

Looks real good.:)

·
Registered
294 Posts
that looks awesome...if I had a 4 door that would be how I'd want mine to look...

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
I am impressed with the fact that you had the balls to chop into it! Plus it looks good- nice job- first time I have seen this done.

I like to run with all tops off, and just put the front pieces on when it is blazing hot, or really cold. You still get some a/c and heater effect.

Great idea!

·
Registered
113 Posts
How will you hold the back portion on with the panels removed? OOps. went out and checked and discovered the two bolts on top I forgot about. Looks good!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts