JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just read through the instructions i recieved with my full traction flex arm kit...they say to adjust them to factory arm length...why am i doing this? i don't have to make them longer due to the 4 inches i'm adding to the suspension? if they are the same length as stock why the point of upgrading? just curious.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,216 Posts
You'll set them to stock length just as a starting point. From there you will adjust them to get your pinion angle correct.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Adjust the rear arms so the the driveshaft and the pinion are in a straight line alignment. If you have the full set then you can also move the rear axle back a bit to get centered in the wheel well. I would set the bottom ones so the axle is centered then lengthen the top arms to adjust the pinion.

Use the front lower arms to center the axle in the wheel well and shorten the top arms to set caster.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Some of the lift mfrs are jerking us off by omitting recommended control arm lengths, and we've read quite a bit of coping out on the issue. The general excuse is that "every rig is different". You end up wondering "Well, yeah, but we're talking about your lift kit aren't we? You did install one and dial it in, didn't you?" Just a bunch of technical writer laziness you shouldn't have to put up with after you spend that much money.

In general the stock lengths aren't going to work right past about 2.5" of lift. Visualize what's happening to the axles as a result of the taller springs: They are moving in arc towards the center of the vehicle. So, you have to extend the the lowers a bit to re-center them in the wheelhouses and ensure they're aligned with the bump stops on full compression. You can then align the rear pinion with the upper arms, and dial in the front caster and pinion angle with the front upper arm. (With stock axle housings the latter is a compromise.)

Poly (Synergy) seems to have the best overall starting specs for arm length, check out their instructions for the kit that best matches your Full Traction's height.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
i just read through the instructions i recieved with my full traction flex arm kit...they say to adjust them to factory arm length...why am i doing this? i don't have to make them longer due to the 4 inches i'm adding to the suspension? if they are the same length as stock why the point of upgrading? just curious.
Sir

That is certainly not what you want to do at that lift height! You need to set the front lowers to provide you with proper caster. You need to set the rear lowers to provide you with a proper pinion angle. The rear pinion should be set 2 to 3 degrees below the drive shaft angle when the vehicle is static so as you accelerate or apply throttle load, the pinion will be rotated up to be just about straight!

RK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.