JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the duratrac is the most popular tire on the forums. I have never had duratrac tires but I have had other Goodyear tires and didn't have very good luck with them.
I just want to know why everyone seems to love duratracs so much. I have always used Bf Goodrich tires. So you guys teach me why?
All my pickups have always had Bf Goodrich all terrain T/A ko on them.
I want to be schooled on Duratrac. Thanks:bounce:

·
Registered
575 Posts
I see the duratrac is the most popular tire on the forums. I have never had duratrac tires but I have had other Goodyear tires and didn't have very good luck with them.
I just want to know why everyone seems to love duratracs so much. I have always used Bf Goodrich tires. So you guys teach me why?
All my pickups have always had Bf Goodrich all terrain T/A ko on them.
I want to be schooled on Duratrac. Thanks:bounce:
There was a big bad sheep out there and all the other sheep wanted to follow...thats all I can come up with. I ran the Dura for about 3k and had to take them off. just as bad as mickey thompson tires when it comes to balancing and lateral run-out.

Soft tire which is good sometimes. Quiet which is good sometimes. Lighter tire which is always good.

Id stick with my Nittos or go with a Toyo from now on.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I seriously considered them; light weight, rated winter tire with snowflake for local insurance/highway rules and reasonably good off road traction. Still might put some on this winter.
The downside is they are weaker sidewall, lots of people report they can't balance 'em and price.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have Duratracs and I'm in Ohio. They are great in the snow, are quite for daily driving and do pretty good in the rain. I posted a short story about a recent wheeling trip http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81521
Thanks but it's hard for me to take any advice from some one in Ohio. You people voted over and over for John Bonher the town idiot and then there's the Ohio State thing being from Michigan it's asking a lot. Just kidding thanks.
GO Blue/GO Green

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
You know what... Fuck Goodyear. I won't buy anything from them again and if I ever buy a new vehicle that has GYs on it, I'll have the dealer swap them off before I buy. I can't support a company that can't get their shit together and understand supply and demand. If there's demand out there for a tire (Kevlars), then you'd better supply them or at least completely cut production and announce that it's not going to be made anymore. What the hell are you gonna do if you have a set and destroy one and GY decides they don't wanna make them anymore? Then you'll be stuck running a non-matching spare and looking like a moron.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'll throw my $.02 it there. People like them for snow and ice and they look aggressive for an at. However, they are crap off road and in hot weather. Very soft tread that wore very quick in Arizona, and sidewalks were very weak as well. I took them off in about a month and they were already showing visible signs of wear. Mtr/k on the other hand are badass. As for an at though, I would stick with bfg

·
Registered
969 Posts
I love my Duratracs, have had them since march of 2011 (aprx 20K miles) They balance fine and are quiet on-road. I run them off-road about once a month, and have zero issues with the sidewalls. Given most of our trails are dirt/mud with very little chance of encountering rocks. They have developed a little more road noise as they've worn down, but traction on and off road, wet, dry, muddy whatever has always been great. I recommend these tires, and like them much more than the Deulers and Deuler Revos I have had previously.
For an A/T I think they are hard to beat. If you are more of a rock guy, play it safer and get the Wildpeaks. (from what I've read).

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've run the duratracs for about 20k miles and love them. My km2s before were horrible in comparison. I air down to about 15 psi and roll over everything including very slick muddy terrain with no issues. Main reason I bought them was a scare I had in my old Durango with a different tire in icy conditions. We drive to Colorado every winter and these tires are worth it. Just my ::2cents::

·
Registered
199 Posts
I really love my Duratracs. I have them in 33x12.50-15 and they ride smooth all the way to 75 MPH which exceeds all the speed limits in my state. So I'm happy. However, it did take 6-9 ounces of weight per tire to get them this way. DTD mounted and balanced them for me, and when they showed up I noticed they've got tape weights around half the inner circumference of each wheel. I was like DAYUM. But...they do ride fine. And they are super quiet.

Only issues I've got is that so far the rain traction is just average. And they slip in wet grassy conditions which really surprised me. And, my 8" wheels are too narrow because the outer lugs do not touch the road with 28 psi in the tires. I'm rolling on the center tread only. Otherwise I like these tires a lot so far.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had them and they are crap for offroading. The tread is too soft and will chunk. Had to get all 4 tires replaced after coming back from a day of wheeling. Replaced with BFG KM2's and have had no problems with those.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I'm in Michigan and I love my Duratracs. Great DD tire and have done great on the 3-4 offroad trips I've been on this summer.

Sidewalls are too thin for ya? Get the hazard warranty that you should be buying anyways.

My only gripe is they don't make them bigger. They need a 37" equivalent IMHO!! :)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I have had 2 sets of the Duratrack's in NY. 31x10.5-15 and 33x12.5-15. Snow and Ice traction is amazing. As they wear the wet weather traction has decreased but since it was so stellar in the beginning I cant really say that it is in any way bad... better than most. Quiet on road, mine didn't take much weight to balance at all. They have taken a long time to wear and the price is great so I will be buying them again. I havn't had as much experience with them off road as I have had with my MTR's but from what I have used them in (wet sloppy mud, water crossings, loose dirt/rock, some rock, log piles) they worked amazing, though the sidewall strength does concern me. In sticky mud however I can imagine that the tread block would fill up and not clean out too well but I cant say from experience. A lot of people around me use them on the beach and say they are good in the sand too. If you only occasionally take them off road and don't encounter any sharp rocks or even sharp tree branches I would definitely recommend them.
I like them much better than the BFG A/T and the General A/T that I have owned.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts