JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that so many JK'ers spend thousands of dollars on bolt-on mods, and create fancy cyber-build-sheets and paste them all over the interwebz, but you RARELY see a WELDER on the cyber-list of mods to get??

Then, when the bolt-on shit doesn't fit right, all you hear is crying about what crappy engineering this and that... Whaaa!

And then there are brackets to bolt over other brackets to fix a problem with the first bracket that was garbage, etc... bracket bracket bracket u-bolt sleeve...junk.

If you own a Jeep and you plan to modify/have it modified, why in the world would you not buy a welder and learn how to use it BEFORE buying shit like 50" LED light bars and ginormous sound systems?

A WELDER IS THE BEST PURCHASE IN THE WORLD!! And a good one costs a lot less money than many of the worthless mods on JK's today.
It will change your life!:idea:

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Calm down muhfugger!!!! I own a welder!

Look who's talking bi-xenon boi! :thefinger:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Im glad you brought this up, I have been asking myself the same question lately. I wish I would of bought a welder and fabbed my own stuff.

So while we are on the topic, which welder would you recommend for a newbie on a budget?

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im glad you brought this up, I have been asking myself the same question lately. I wish I would of bought a welder and fabbed my own stuff.

So while we are on the topic, which welder would you recommend for a newbie on a budget?
Miller 185. 220v. Great welder for under a grand. There are many similar welders. But don't waste your time with a 110v if you want to weld on axles.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts

Hobart Handler 190 with the Spool gun. It will weld up to 5/16" plate. Hobart is Miller owned and they have that welder on Amazon for 8 bills right now.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hobart Handler 190 with the Spool gun. It will weld up to 5/16" plate. Hobart is Miller owned and they have that welder on Amazon for 8 bills right now.
This.

Been using mine for the past 5 months, awesome machine. And yeah, it definitely changed the direction of my rig for the better.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
^^^ I was looking at this very welder this morning thinking about getting it or the Handler 140 to replace my aging, undersized Lincoln...

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Agree with CO4LO.

But you'd be remiss if you didn't mention the Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i welder. Bad-ass MIG welder that can also do stick and lift-start TIG, inverter, small, lightweight (25 lbs) and the best MIG welder I've used. Oh yeah, $800 all day long. :thefinger:

But for everyone else you can pick up a basic Eastwood or Northern Industrial 220/175a these days for less than six hundred bucks, and they are actually pretty good. No excuse not to have one.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Maaan! Get out of the wrong side of the bed today? I do agree with you, you you are going to mod, do it right the first time but some peeps don't have room and or garage for a welder. Condo and all...

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Why is it that so many JK'ers spend thousands of dollars on bolt-on mods, and create fancy cyber-build-sheets and paste them all over the interwebz, but you RARELY see a WELDER on the cyber-list of mods to get??

Then, when the bolt-on shit doesn't fit right, all you hear is crying about what crappy engineering this and that... Whaaa!

And then there are brackets to bolt over other brackets to fix a problem with the first bracket that was garbage, etc... bracket bracket bracket u-bolt sleeve...junk.

If you own a Jeep and you plan to modify/have it modified, why in the world would you not buy a welder and learn how to use it BEFORE buying shit like 50" LED light bars and ginormous sound systems?

A WELDER IS THE BEST PURCHASE IN THE WORLD!! And a good one costs a lot less money than many of the worthless mods on JK's today.
Wait, why is this in Modified Tech? :thefinger:

Sorry but my condo associate does not allow me to use a welder on the premises, it is frowned up. :flame:

With that said, I would not mind getting myself a welder one day, but it'll have to wait until we have place with a garage to do that sorta work.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts

FAWK! And I just took my welder back to get a 50" light bar!!!!:thefinger:

SIKE!

Agree with CO4LO.

But you'd be remiss if you didn't mention the Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i welder. Bad-ass MIG welder that can also do stick and lift-start TIG, inverter, small, lightweight (25 lbs) and the best MIG welder I've used. Oh yeah, $800 all day long. :thefinger:

But for everyone else you can pick up a basic Eastwood or Northern Industrial 220/175a these days for less than six hundred bucks, and they are actually pretty good. No excuse not to have one.
Badass welder by the way, I just picked up the Northern tool Hybrid same concept, but I like that there are more add on to that one you posted up!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I picked up a 210v Hobart around Xmas to replace my crappy 110v no name MIG. Love this little guy he lays a bead really well makes me look like a professional welder.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Come on condo king... you don't know anybody that would let you keep your welder in their garage? A guy with a welder makes friends quite easily. ;)

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Here are reasons as to why I don't weld.
1) I don't have 220 in my garage, and even if I did...
2) No space for it in my garage. My garge is so stuffed with crap already (and it's pretty tiny to begin with)that I have to go outside to change my mind
3) "Sorry but my condo associate does not allow me to use a welder on the premises, it is frowned up." And this too. And finally...
4) I don't know how

Believe me, If I could, I would.

·
Registered
10,289 Posts
because everyone online critiques the FUCK out of the welds. People who have no clue what the fuck they're talking about will be like "oh look at those boogers" or "wow look how nice these welds are".

But yet they have NO clue what they're talking about.

sorry, had to rant for a minute there

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Come on condo king... you don't know anybody that would let you keep your welder in their garage? A guy with a welder makes friends quite easily. ;)
Why buy one when the people I know have one already. :thankyou:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
You should see how many friends u make after u tell em u have full access to a machine shop. :) and damit I don't want beer I need jeep parts.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 247 Posts