Discussion Starter #1
i see so many photos of modded up jeeps with black rims
why black?

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
oh, and cheap. Easy to replace when bounced off rocks

also, Black > Bling, IMO :thefinger::smokin:

Although I must say that chrome or polished looks good on Red Rock, like for example, RedRockJk's rig:

In the end, I suppose you see so many because of the good ol classic elcheapo black steel offroad wheel we have all come to love

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for that

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
You know, I was thinking about this a bit. I had planned on getting black wheels for my black JK but then one day as I was surfing one forum or another I read the term "murdered out" referring to a car/truck that was black with all black trim, wheels, etc.

I had black wheels on my last truck and liked 'em a lot (truck was white), but that damn term "murdered out" is really killing me (wow! I hadn't intended that when I typed it: murdered out - killing me :shaking::laughing:)

The initial plan was to go with these:

Now I'm thinking these:

And despite the term "murdered out" I really liked these but think the rings would get thrashed and look like crap after the first trail they saw

Now if my truck weren't black well then there'd be no question. Of course I'd get black wheels :laughing:

·
Registered
irate4x4 dot com
1,795 Posts
It's hard to rattle can the scratches of chrome or other colors, for that matter, and have it not be noticeable past 10 feet.

Ipe, labels are something other people use to compartmentalize things they don't like or understand. If someone calls blacking out the parts on an off-road vehicle "murdered-out" then they don't understand the purpose of using the color black.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If someone calls blacking out the parts on an off-road vehicle "murdered-out" then they don't understand the purpose of using the color black.
Yep. Sounds they're parroting what they heard on MTV (Mind-numbing Television)

I ran black wheels (and still do) when I lived up north in the rust belt. The painted wheels held up better in the winter (road salt) than polished aluminum or chrome wheels.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
IIpe, labels are something other people use to compartmentalize things they don't like or understand. If someone calls blacking out the parts on an off-road vehicle "murdered-out" then they don't understand the purpose of using the color black.
But black as become the new bling in many ways. A lot of people black out stuff just for the look, not for practical reasons.

Blacking stuff out simply because it looks good is no different than someone adding chrome to a vehicle. Someone who takes their badges off and paints them black is as much concerned about looks as someone with a chrome grille. Not that there is anything wrong with either, but we shouldn't just assume that black means someone is a hardcore wheeler, and chrome means they spend all their time at the mall.

The manufacturers know the there is a black trend too, rims are now even available in black chrome.

Back to the original question, the last chrome rims I had were bought because they were the cheapest rim I could find in the size I wanted. After scratching them up, I rattle canned them black. Of course I could have just left them, but they were oxidizing and looked like crap.

Black paint is generally easy to touch up, and when it comes time to wash the vehicle you don't have to spend long cleaning them.

Generally speaking black is more practical than chrome, and usually requires a lot less maintenance.

·
Registered
irate4x4 dot com
1,795 Posts
But black as become the new bling in many ways.
It's no different than the 4wd being the ultimate urban vehicle.

Not much one can do about that.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
re:Wheels

Black steel wheels are CHEAP and they take the hits on the trails. Yes they are heavier and everyone has then. I may go alloys but flat black...Remember Chrome don't get you home!:D

Jason

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Because black is beautiful baby!

Seriously though......

I prefer cheap black steelies as they are easy to mask rock scars, you can beat on them with a sledge and then rattle can back on the pretty.

Although it seems as though cheap steel wheels are getting cheaper and cheaper. I bent 3 wheels while in Moab for 10 days. My last set of steelies on the 40" swampers are still holding up and remaining true and that's on a 15" wheel!

I am still running a set of alloys that started off at least partially black but they are already looking pretty well abused. I figure by the end of next wheeling season they will be replaced with another set of cheap black steelies with a little twist I have in mind. :devil:

I like how Hummer incorporated the "Chrome, won't get you home" in their 2006 catalogs for the H3's. :laughing:

A

·
0 Posts
Someone who takes their badges off and paints them black is as much concerned about looks as someone with a chrome grille.
Oop! I did that just the other day with teh J E E P on the front, took them off painted them black and glued them back on again.

I black things out for practical reasons (as mentioned) but fully admit to doing it for the look too.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Oop! I did that just the other day with teh J E E P on the front, took them off painted them black and glued them back on again.
:D :D :D

Nothing wrong with it, I do plenty of stuff for cosmetic reasons. It just makes me laugh when some people seem to think that just by blacking stuff out that they are somehow superior to people with chrome. Don't see that attitude much with Jeeps, but you do see it with some other brands.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't have a problem with the black thing, but I didn't do it cause everyone else was.:D I didn't go all the way bling though as I got the Walker Evans with the rough cast centers.:smokin:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Chrome guilt...............

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a black 2 door JK and when I decide to replace the stock 17"s, I'll be going with black rims too. It won't be so much for showing off but more so to make a statement to all chrome lovers...the "anti-chrome" look can be both practical and eye-catching...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts