JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 4.75inches of lift in the front and 4in in the back. Since the suspension change I've rotated the tires, everything is tight and I've had an alignment. New drive shaft in the rear, and I left the front stock. When I hit a pot hole I get a death wobble, have to pull over and when I get going again it stops like nothing happened???

Should I get a stearing stablizer I'm running 35's, or try changing out the front drive shaft?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've got 4.75inches of lift in the front and 4in in the back. Since the suspension change I've rotated the tires, everything is tight and I've had an alignment. New drive shaft in the rear, and I left the front stock. When I hit a pot hole I get a death wobble, have to pull over and when I get going again it stops like nothing happened???

Should I get a stearing stablizer I'm running 35's, or try changing out the front drive shaft?
Check your steering stabilizer. I wouldn't use the stocker to hold open a screen door. I heard from the parts guy at a local dealer that it's the JK part they replace most often. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
A steering stabilizer's job is to act as a shock absorber. It prevents the shock from a hard hit to a wheel (for example) from being tranferred to the steering wheel. It can lessen death wobble, but the underlying cause of DW is still there.

Without knowing the details of your lift, do you have adjustable control arms? Maybe you have insufficient caster.

Check the torque on the bolts holding your front track bar in place. The slightest movement can cause DW.

·
Registered
900 Posts
A steering stabilizer's job is to act as a shock absorber. It prevents the shock from a hard hit to a wheel (for example) from being tranferred to the steering wheel. It can lessen death wobble, but the underlying cause of DW is still there.
I've heard the same thing on other forums (and it may well be true) but, and I'm dating myself here, I owned a series of VW buses over the years and they all exhibited this trait. The steering stabilizers were good for about 25,000 miles and then they had to be replaced or...........DEATH WOBBLE. Replace them and you would get another 25K. Myself and a lot of others spent untold hours trying to find the underlying cause but with no success. People who own these today will tell you the same thing.......it's a design issue with the vehicle. It might not be with the Jeep but then again it might be. Sometimes the symptom is the problem. Take it for FWIW. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like someone will be buying a new goody for his JK. ;)
I knew this day would come... I'm still not using that word though;)

In reference to the other posts, I have the teraflex suspension with the adjustable control arms, we measured everything out though to make sure everything was even and tight. I guess something must be lose, I'll look again and replace the stablizer.

thanks

A

·
0 Posts
I assume you’ve double checked the torque settings on the front track bar? It should be 125lbs or so.

FWIW I am lifted about the same, running 37s and have a stock steering stabilizer and I don’t get DW. I do get a slight steering wobble sometimes (feels like the wheels are not balance but they are). I’ll order a stabilizer here soon and think that will take care of that but it’s not a death wobble.

A

·
0 Posts
I agree with Lost. Order some goodies and it will probably go away :laughing2:

People with lots of goodies don't get death wobble BTW ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with Lost. Order some goodies and it will probably go away :laughing2:

People with lots of goodies don't get death wobble BTW ;)
A friend of mine said the Teraflex front track bar seemed to flex alot he thinks that's what it is and I'll have to live with it but I don't buy that. In fact I think I'm going to call Teraflex.

I do have a lot of ____________ so I know that's not it. :D An offroad shop near my house said some JK's need to replace the front drive shafts with 4in lifts and some don't, so I'm thinking mine was one that needs it and the .75in spacer made it worse. I guess I'll try drive shaft and stablizer.

A

·
0 Posts
A friend of mine said the Teraflex front track bar seemed to flex alot he thinks that's what it is and I'll have to live with it
So try the stock track bar (if you still have it). My track bars are stock but the Poly lifts come with a relocation brackets that lift them up so you don’t need adjustable ones.

It’s worth a shot.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So try the stock track bar (if you still have it). My track bars are stock but the Poly lifts come with a relocation brackets that lift them up so you don’t need adjustable ones.

It’s worth a shot.
True, mine came with an track bar relo. bracket too, maybe I'll switch back. I don't know if I still have it though... I can't believe Teraflex would come out with something crappier than stock though.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If cranking down the track bar bolts doesn't do the trick, I'd be willing to bet that putting in a relocation bracket and your stock track bar would get rid of your DW. At 4.75" of lift up front, your track bar angle is fairly steep in relation to the stock angle. On my TJ (yes, I know it's linked up differently) I had to put in a drop pitman arm to get rid of the DW. This brought the track bar angle closer to the stock angle. No more DW.

A

·
0 Posts
True, mine came with an track bar relo. bracket too, maybe I'll switch back. I don't know if I still have it though... I can't believe Teraflex would come out with something crappier than stock though.
It’s only a 10 minute job to try it.

·
Registered
774 Posts
A friend of mine said the Teraflex front track bar seemed to flex alot he thinks that's what it is and I'll have to live with it but I don't buy that. In fact I think I'm going to call Teraflex.

I do have a lot of ____________ so I know that's not it. :D An offroad shop near my house said some JK's need to replace the front drive shafts with 4in lifts and some don't, so I'm thinking mine was one that needs it and the .75in spacer made it worse. I guess I'll try drive shaft and stablizer.
Your driveshaft has nothing to do with DW.

A

·
0 Posts
If cranking down the track bar bolts doesn't do the trick, I'd be willing to bet that putting in a relocation bracket and your stock track bar would get rid of your DW. At 4.75" of lift up front, your track bar angle is fairly steep in relation to the stock angle. On my TJ (yes, I know it's linked up differently) I had to put in a drop pitman arm to get rid of the DW. This brought the track bar angle closer to the stock angle. No more DW.
Dropping the pitman arm (or putting a high steer drag link on) would cure bump steer but I’m not sure it’s C-rogs problem.

I think all the experts are at Jeep safari. I only know enough to get people in trouble BTW ;)

·
Registered
774 Posts
What is your caster angle??? Who did your alignment??? how was it done, tape measure or machine???

1 - 20 of 30 Posts