JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who out there has installed Teraflex Speed Bumps and what do you like / dislike about 'em?

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
i was going to say i have a lot.... in my work parking lot and in my community!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I had them front and rear for a while. The front ones were great. Install was pretty easy and they worked as advertised. Not nearly as awesome as air bumps, but much better than the cheap rubber knobs.

The rear ones were way too tall. I was running 39.5" Iroks with 5" of lift and I still couldn't stuff a tire up all the way. I also didn't notice a difference in performance from the rear bumps over the standard teraflex bump stops.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I had them front and rear for a while. The front ones were great. Install was pretty easy and they worked as advertised. Not nearly as awesome as air bumps, but much better than the cheap rubber knobs.

The rear ones were way too tall. I was running 39.5" Iroks with 5" of lift and I still couldn't stuff a tire up all the way. I also didn't notice a difference in performance from the rear bumps over the standard teraflex bump stops.
X2... I only run the front ones. I've never used air bumps, but they work better than the rubber knobs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have them all the way around and like them alot. These guys are right the front does a killer job of absorbing hits. The rears work good, but are not really needed. I haven't flexed it all the way out yet, but it looks like I may have to take some bumpstop extension out of the back to get to full flex. I have only had them for a few weeks and I've been busy as hell.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bump stop extension, yes, I meant to ask about that. From looking at Teraflex's instructions it wasn't clear to me how you tune the compression with extension. Considering their 4" kit Speed Bumps, looks like in front they want you to use the lower extension they supply with their 4" kit (about 2.75" IIRC) and nothing in the rear except the stock foam upper cushion. Am I correct on that?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't have them yet but will in a few months in prep for next summer.

I will be installing the front style all the way around like in their prerunner kit. To do this in the rear requires notching the frame to french the can into the frame. From all I have read the standard air bumps in the rear 2.5" or 3" are better than stock, but no where near as good as front style (as mentioned above).

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, ordered a set from Northridge. Now, do I just use my existing bump stop extensions, or am I supposed to use something else? Anyone know?

·
Registered
244 Posts
It all depends on your lift shock wheel and tire combo you will have to cycle your suspension with the springs out to know for sure? I do see TF has some shorter upper pads for the rear that replaces the stock bump if you need more up travel?
http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-speedbump-rear-upper-strike-pad-kit-pair.html

You should be close with the 4" kit for a 4" lift out of the box though the main thing to check is that the bumps bottom out before the shocks do and then you will have to see if there is any tire rub and adjust if needed!

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I've got a TF 4" kit on there now, supplemented with some Poly bits. I assume I can measure both the Speed Bump travel and shock travel and adjust as needed. I currently have Poly's 4" bump stops on it. I read somewhere that the Speed Bump fully compressed is exactly the same as the stock jounce tube and yellow foam cushion.

That rear deal is confusing, because at full compression the stock fusion completely collapses. The TF cushion is just a flat cap. What am I missing there?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had them with the 4'' tflex lift and over-all I was pleased with them. They do IMO limit flex especially if you wheel as light as possible like no doors or top then it seems they limit your flex somewhat. that being said they seem to do a lot of good in keeping your tires grounded and less hopping. I think I would rather have them than not and flex isn't everything although it is cool. I like the absorption factor a lot when trail riding and cutting off. I have never not made it thru a obstacle because of the somewhat limited flex (cool factor) and I know they help keep the tires more grounded at speeds and during flex and crawling.

JK Neal

·
Registered
244 Posts
The fronts should come with some various size spacers you can adjust them by moving them from the top or bottom as needed the rear TF pads will free up some up travel before you start adding compression dampening by eliminating the stock bump.

You should have no problems just bolting everything in with the TF kit and bumps since they were designed to work together! I'm going to use them with a RK lift and think I might have to move the rear speed bumps forward an inch since they move the axle back an inch for tire clearence gonna have to see how they line up?

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had them with the 4'' tflex lift and over-all I was pleased with them. They do IMO limit flex especially if you wheel as light as possible like no doors or top then it seems they limit your flex somewhat. that being said they seem to do a lot of good in keeping your tires grounded and less hopping. I think I would rather have them than not and flex isn't everything although it is cool. I like the absorption factor a lot when trail riding and cutting off. I have never not made it thru a obstacle because of the somewhat limited flex (cool factor) and I know they help keep the tires more grounded at speeds and during flex and crawling.

JK Neal
I moved on them because of the way the rig behaves on off camber, tippy stuff. The suspension tends to let the rig tip & pitch a lot. One of my fellow club members has the same suspension had the same issue. Said the Speed Bumps eliminate a lot of that tendency, reduce the pitching side to side and make it more stable. I'm not much on the high speed pre-runner type stuff, but if it's an added benefit, hey, why not?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I moved on them because of the way the rig behaves on off camber, tippy stuff. The suspension tends to let the rig tip & pitch a lot. One of my fellow club members has the same suspension had the same issue. Said the Speed Bumps eliminate a lot of that tendency, reduce the pitching side to side and make it more stable. I'm not much on the high speed pre-runner type stuff, but if it's an added benefit, hey, why not?
it will for sure fix that problem. I had my bumps set to where the front was touching the bump nearly on flat ground and the rear wasn't far behind because I had no sway bar front or rear and the bumps helped bigtime to keep the jeep from leaning to bad. Very good, I think you will like them for sure.

JK Neal

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am running Speed Bumps front and back. I really like them. They make a difference in a a number of instances, wash board roads, larger bumps on roads, off camber, and limit rocking and bouncing.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
SEMA 2011 TeraFlex SpeedBumps - YouTube

I'm having 4" SpeedBumps installed front/rear in my 2012. The rears can be a little confusing since we have 4 different styles. Fronts do come with several different sized ring spacers so the SpeedBumps can be set to a specific JK's needs.

2.5" Speedbump Kit #1958250

3"/4"/6" kits, not shown is the spacer rings or rear pads that is used in the 6" series. The 3" series have 3" of travel and the 4"-6" uses SpeedBumps with 4" of travel.
PreRunner kits are 3" fronts installed front and back. Rears use a canister that is frenched into the frame.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, Joe.

So, do all the kits come with the spacers & bump stop extensions of just the 2.5"?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I really need rear bumpstops, and maybe fronts.. but mostly rears, to stop my pitbull rocker 35's on a 4in lift from hitting my fenders/pinch seam behind them. Is this the product for me?! :bounce:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.